My New Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
VERY NICE! and welcome to the SkyActiv family.
Any reason why you didn't go with the hatch?

We're still loving wife's 2014 Mazda 6
smile.gif
have put 40k miles on it in about 1.5 yrs, and still getting 38 MPG avg (80% hwy), and no issues except for a TPMS issue (which didn't GIVE us any problems); that was fixed for free during an oil change - I think it was more of a precaution)

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: buster
The 3 is an amazing car for the money. It makes you want to drive it.

I mean, what more can one ask for?

I'm really getting the impression that the 3 is the only car in the segment worth buying.

I agree. It's really THAT good. From how you feel sitting in it, the interior build quality, fuel efficiency and amazing manual and automatic. Manual is just a blast to drive.

I'm a huge fan of Mazda these days.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Looks great, Buster. But...you bought a brand new car with the intention of trading it in three years on something else? Did I miss that something happened to your Forester?

I may keep it longer and get the 2.5L next or something faster. Maybe even a 6. I don't know.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Factory fill to be changed out anytime soon?

I won't change out the factory oil until 4k-5k miles. I don't think it's necessary to change it out any sooner.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Mine was made in Japan. I traded it in. I had so much fun in the Forester for the short time I had it. It won't be my last Subaru.

You'll probably get 50% better fuel economy with this new 3, over what you got with the Forester. I like the 3, right down to the plastic wheel covers. Keep those wheels and caps for a dedicated set of snows if your driving gets harsh in the winter.

I had asked you about that P-brake location because of how it is in the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Here's how it looks in my Soob (borrowed this pic from online):

2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-interior-photo-495718-s-1280x782.jpg

I'd definitely want new rims. I went low budget with this. It's just the Sport model. It has everything I want though. My wife's 3 is decked out and has everything in it, which is great, but to me it's not that big of a deal and worth the extra money. I just enjoy driving.

I see what you mean about the p-brake. Mine is not that far to the left.

Mazda is making cars that make you WANT to drive them. They are very engaging. I've had Honda's and Toyota's and it's just not the same. Mazda's lineup is awesome these days.

I may end up using Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 in it. Although, EP 0w20 and 5w30 are options. The 5w30 EP has a HT/HS of 3.0 which isn't too far off from a 20 grade. Same with AFE 0w30.

Outside of the US., the Skyactiv calls for a 5w30. Doesn't concern me either way.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Mine was made in Japan. I traded it in. I had so much fun in the Forester for the short time I had it. It won't be my last Subaru.

You'll probably get 50% better fuel economy with this new 3, over what you got with the Forester. I like the 3, right down to the plastic wheel covers. Keep those wheels and caps for a dedicated set of snows if your driving gets harsh in the winter.

I had asked you about that P-brake location because of how it is in the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Here's how it looks in my Soob (borrowed this pic from online):

2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-interior-photo-495718-s-1280x782.jpg

I'd definitely want new rims. I went low budget with this. It's just the Sport model. It has everything I want though. My wife's 3 is decked out and has everything in it, which is great, but to me it's not that big of a deal and worth the extra money. I just enjoy driving.

I see what you mean about the p-brake. Mine is not that far to the left.

I would spend some extra money to get nice light rims for a car like this as well, 5-6-8lbs off each corner will help it more than you would think.

Nice choice!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the MSRP, and did you play dealerships off of one another for the best price?

I understand WOT, but when you say broken in under load do you mean top gear @ 40 mph, for instance, and accelerating from there?

Congrats!

Amazing that your wife paid what amounts to 33% more for what is, for all intents and purposes, the same car, albeit with a slushbox and extra do-dads.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Nice choice!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the MSRP, and did you play dealerships off of one another for the best price?

I understand WOT, but when you say broken in under load do you mean top gear @ 40 mph, for instance, and accelerating from there?

Congrats!

Amazing that your wife paid what amounts to 33% more for what is, for all intents and purposes, the same car, albeit with a slushbox and extra do-dads.

I think the MSRP was $19k+,.... I was able to get the Mazda loyalty discount and .9% financing. Worked out well.

I basically just kept the RPMS in the 3k-5k range in multiple gears, using wide open throttle. Say 4th gear at 35 mph and floor it until 5k rpms etc.

Quote:

Agree. Most of what she has I could care less about. Although the blind spot mirror warning is cool. lol

The Automatic in her car is really good though I must say, but compared to the manual, it's just not nearly as fun. Mazda makes a good manual though. If was a Subaru manual vs a Mazda Automatic, I'd go with Mazda's AT any day. Really depends on the specific manual transmission bc they are clearly all very different.

The Mazda3 hatchback on the factory 18 inch wheels looks great.

Although 15-16 inch wheels are more than adequate for a non sports car.

That is sharp looking car.

The past few years I have really like the new models of Mazda's.

If I were to buy a new sedan, it would be a new Mazda 6 w/ manual.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Nice ride but Premium fuel? Why? Does it make you happier when driving it?
that's what I was wondering too

Dumped the OE oil at 3,730 miles and filled with M1 EP 0w20. Running premium fuel. All is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back