My New Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no WRX, but for $18k and 41 mpg, it's a fun car to drive. I'll probably keep it 3 years, then jump into a WRX or something faster. It's the 2.0L. My wife has the GT topped out (too pricey IMO) and my car is much more fun to drive due to the manual transmission, which is SO smooth.

I got the car with 6 miles on it. It has 800 now. I broke it in with heavy load/WOT and varied the rpms a lot. No oil consumption at all so far. Using premium Shell fuel. I've already hit 38.6 mpg.

Nice!

Is that P-brake handle right up against your thigh? The console on my 2014 XV Crosstrek is just like that.

Thanks. The p-brake isn't as left shifting as it looks in the photo.

It's a really smooth revving car. Best manual transmission I've ever driven. Better than my Honda.

I need new wheels. Any suggestions on where to get better rims?

Congrats
thumbsup2.gif

Very nice! I looked at those seriously before settling on a CUV. You are right, manuals don't come much nicer than Mazda's.

Any reason you didn't opt for the hatch?

Heck yes...stick shift too. I did the same as you buster with my '11...base model. Less junk to go wrong with a base model vehicle! It's got fat 65 aspect ratio tires on it which are perfect against potholes (low profile tires are garbage) and steel wheels are tough. I would have gotten crank windows if they offered them...I don't like how power windows freeze closed in winter. Best car IMHO for the $$$ brand new.

I have almost 60k miles on mine and it has given me no grief.

Heated seats maybe would have been a good idea though
Utility > looks come winter

Enjoy your car. Good color choice too!

Last edited:
I agree GMFan. My wife's 3 was $27k and I don't care much for a lot of the technology in it. Yeah it would be nice to have, but it's also more than can go wrong. My car is more fun to drive.

I'd prefer the 2.5L with the manual but I thought my car is more valuable for what I'm looking for.

Congrats on the new ride. I think it is the best value going in the compact segment.

Is it a "Made in Mexico" or "Made in Japan" vehicle? I know Mazda started making the new model in Japan, but heard production was going to shift to Mexico. I'm just curious.

What did you wind up doing with the Forester?

Mine was made in Japan. I traded it in. I had so much fun in the Forester for the short time I had it. It won't be my last Subaru.

The 3 is an amazing car for the money. It makes you want to drive it.

Originally Posted By: buster

I mean, what more can one ask for?

I'm really getting the impression that the 3 is the only car in the segment worth buying.

Looks great, Buster. But...you bought a brand new car with the intention of trading it in three years on something else? Did I miss that something happened to your Forester?

NICE!

I like this new gen as much or better than the 1st gen. I didn't really like the styling with the 2nd gen very much.

Lately, Mazda has something that I used to love in Honda's!
That smooth revving engine with great manual tranny's.

Best of luck with your new ride!

CB

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
Mine was made in Japan. I traded it in. I had so much fun in the Forester for the short time I had it. It won't be my last Subaru.

You'll probably get 50% better fuel economy with this new 3, over what you got with the Forester. I like the 3, right down to the plastic wheel covers. Keep those wheels and caps for a dedicated set of snows if your driving gets harsh in the winter.

I had asked you about that P-brake location because of how it is in the Subaru XV Crosstrek. Here's how it looks in my Soob (borrowed this pic from online):

2013-subaru-xv-crosstrek-interior-photo-495718-s-1280x782.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back