My new Obsession

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason I have not been at this site as much lately and my new obsession is classical music (after 2 years of Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix and the like). Actually, the obsession has focused on one work, Beethoven't Ninth Symphony. I have since
August collected 13 performances on CD along with the one vinyl copy I had from long ago. They are (if anyone is that interested), by conductor and date:

1. Stokowski 1934
2. Weingartner 1935
3. Klemperer 1956
4. Fricsay 1958 (Vinyl)
5. Walter 1959
6. Masur 1974
7. Karajan 1977
8. Maazel 1978
9. Blomstedt 1980
10. Soltii 1984
11. Blomstedt 1985
12. Duvier 1990
13. Gardiner 1992
14. Drahos 1996

Is this an obsession? I can listen to this multiple times a day. Any other Ninth addicts? Please post your collections.

My obsession are (in the order)

(1)Otto K1emperer
(2)Wilheim Furtwangler
(3)Herb Von Karajan (earlier years, up to mid70s with Berliner Phil)
(4)Carlo Maria Gilini
(5)Rudolf Kempe
(6) Arturo Toscalini
(7)Fritz Reiner

I also listen to a lot of arias/operas and mostly to do with earlier years singers....

How about Gregorian Chant?

Q.

Cool Quest. I do love vocals, at least certain ones. On the order of vocal works I have Beethoven's Missa Solmnis, Beethoven's Fidelio Opera, Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov Opera, variouis miscellaneous Mussorgsky vocal pieces, the vocal Voices of Spring (Strauss) which is a supreme test of a soprano, and the gem: Handel's Messiah. Yes, I do like Gregorian chant, but not so much that I listen to it very often. And I have a nice collection of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibiton, piano, different orchestrations, brass, organ, accordian, strings w piano, piano concerto version, etc. Have most Beethoven piano sonatas, wonderful stuff. But right now am stuck on the Ninth!

I became a classical music addict....when I saw the movie 'Amadaus'....which told the story of Mozart. I would suggest you view that movie....and become a Mozart addict as well.

What beautiful music....and I also love Beethoven.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
And I thought my 4 copies of Deep Purple's "Machine Head" on vinyl was over the top
That is my all time favorite Deep Purple album. Some really cool stuff on it that the classic rock (spoon fed garbage) stations never play.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Cool Quest. I do love vocals, at least certain ones. On the order of vocal works I have Beethoven's Missa Solmnis, Beethoven's Fidelio Opera, Mussorgsky's Boris Godunov Opera, variouis miscellaneous Mussorgsky vocal pieces, the vocal Voices of Spring (Strauss) which is a supreme test of a soprano, and the gem: Handel's Messiah. Yes, I do like Gregorian chant, but not so much that I listen to it very often. And I have a nice collection of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibiton, piano, different orchestrations, brass, organ, accordian, strings w piano, piano concerto version, etc. Have most Beethoven piano sonatas, wonderful stuff. But right now am stuck on the Ninth!

Ohhhh...ohhh! the chants! the human voice!! so out-of-this-world beautiful...it brings me to tears every time I listen to Handel's Messiah, Gregorian Chants,Brahm's Requiem, Mozart's Requiem (I have a 2-LP DGG set that I cherish the most, was given to me by a school friend's dad), all the Rossini's opera, Offenbach, etc.

Q.

Also: Karl Bohm is one of my fave conductor as well... Most collections I have are in older DGG LPs

Oh and any Beethoven's Ninth addict has to get Beethoven's Choral Fantasia which was a work on the way to the Ninth. It is like a piano concerto, about 20 minutes, and the third movement has the vocals. Love it. I have it on a double disk Masur conducting the Ninth with the Choral Fantasy and all three Leonore Overtures and the Fidelio Overture (Phillips). It is part something of a multiple package set, but saw it separate at my local music store.

I too have Klemperer and Karajan on Vinyl.
Like Beethoven but prefer Mozart and even Haydn.
More into Bach of late and his Goldberg Variations performed by Glenn Gould.

BTW, did you know Karajan was into cars and was a real speed demon?

Brahms, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart..... Delicious music. I will turn on a playlist and just immerse myself in it.

One reason I have not been at this site as much lately and my new obsession is classical music (after 2 years of Johnny Winter, Jimi Hendrix and the like). Actually, the obsession has focused on one work, Beethoven't Ninth Symphony. I have since
August collected 13 performances on CD along with the one vinyl copy I had from long ago. They are (if anyone is that interested), by conductor and date:

1. Stokowski 1934
2. Weingartner 1935
3. Klemperer 1956
4. Fricsay 1958 (Vinyl)
5. Walter 1959
6. Masur 1974
7. Karajan 1977
8. Maazel 1978
9. Blomstedt 1980
10. Soltii 1984
11. Blomstedt 1985
12. Duvier 1990
13. Gardiner 1992
14. Drahos 1996

Is this an obsession? I can listen to this multiple times a day. Any other Ninth addicts? Please post your collections.

Are you European?As far as I know that is EU's 'national' anthem.
smile.gif

1. Stokowski 1934
2. Weingartner 1935
3. Klemperer 1956
4. Fricsay 1958 (Vinyl)
5. Walter 1959
6. Masur 1974
7. Karajan 1977
8. Maazel 1978
9. Blomstedt 1980
10. Soltii 1984
11. Blomstedt 1985
12. Duvier 1990
13. Gardiner 1992
14. Drahos 1996

I don't think it's an obsession - it's a powerful work.

I have about 700 gigabytes worth of classical music in FLAC but since Spotify became functional in the US, I do not listen to my collections - it's more convenient on Spotify.

Lately it's Vivaldi for me. Baroque music may be seen as too fluffy for some but I think it's a beautiful music.

Beethoven's 9th brings to me recollections of Gary Oldman in Luc Bessons movie..
Anyway, you might look into Well Tempered Clavier for one title obsession as well. Aside from regulars you could look into jazzman John Lewis of MJQ fame. His interpretation is used in "Silence of The Lambs" and many other movies after that. Mr Lewis lack of school shows, but he has a lot of other qualities to compensate for it. He also did similar project on "Goldberg Variations".
There is also one WTK work by Svyatoslav Richter, remastered by Japanese, that is hard to get below $300.
As Richter once remarked:
It does no harm to listen to Bach from time to time, even if only from a hygienic standpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back