My "new" mountain bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought it from a friend who recently donated a kidney, & has since given up mountain biking. I've rebuilt the fork seals, & changed the fork oil. I also put new pedals on it. I still haven't ridden it. It will serve as my back-up bike.

-

Wow, a Specialized Rock Hopper. That takes me back a few years. Appears to be in good shape. I miss the older style frames like that.

Just to keep oil involved here, I just discovered that Castrol Syntec 5w-20 makes a great chain oil.

Nothing but the best.
wink.gif

pmwalter,

The couple of times I've used motor oil as a chain lube, it attracted waaaaaaaaaaay too much dirt/dust. I stick with the specialty bicycle chain lubes now.

I used to have a 1996 Specialized Stump Jumper Ground Control w/full suspension.

That was is until I left it locked at a street light pole with a 7ft. long 7/16" diameter steel cable and padlock going through both wheels and around the pole. I guess the padlock was too heavy duty so they had to cut through the steel cable. I only left it there for 30 minutes.

They would have needed a large pair of lineman's cable cutters to cut through it. Apparently they had something, because after eating lunch at Ralley's, I came back to a fully locked padlock and a clean cut 7/16" cable. They were nice enough to leave the padlock behind unharmed.

I was totally heartbroken. The large diameter aluminum tube frame had the most beautifull TIG welds I had ever seen.

Definately one of the most sad days of my life.
frown.gif

I forgot to mention that this Speciallized has a steel frame. "Steel is real!"
smile.gif
This is my second steel framed mountain bike. I love my other steel framed bike ('99 Gary Fisher Aquila) I love it so much that I completely wore it out. The frame is still hanging in my garage.

I had a bright red '92 Gary Fisher Mt. Tam. It was stolen in 2001. I hope my bike was like Christine to the thief.

Got a new bike now. Nothing much fancy, but maybe I should show some pictures. It's got one rather unusual feature.
wink.gif

ww,

I would tell you that you have a really nice bike but you said you could live without GC..............so I won't.

Steel frames are awesome...but I've seen some newer steel bikes that try to imitate aluminum bikes with oversize tubes leading to an overweight beast.

Anyhow. That's a nice bike. I'm still riding a DiamondBack hard tail that I got a few years ago but it's an aluminum frame. I used to have a Trek 930 - that thing was sweet until it was stoken.

The double triangle frame is a proven design and I'm not too much a fan of the new bikes which all seem to be full suspension adding uneccessary weight and bouncyness which sometimes waste your energy.

I think "ICEWAX" is a pretty good chain lube. I'm with WW motor oil or 3 in 1 oil attracts too much dirt and if you ride in pants leaves a nice black smudge on the inside of your'e right leg:)

quote:

Originally posted by ekincam:
Steel frames are awesome...but I've seen some newer steel bikes that try to imitate aluminum bikes with oversize tubes leading to an overweight beast.

Anyhow. That's a nice bike. I'm still riding a DiamondBack hard tail that I got a few years ago but it's an aluminum frame. I used to have a Trek 930 - that thing was sweet until it was stoken.

The double triangle frame is a proven design and I'm not too much a fan of the new bikes which all seem to be full suspension adding uneccessary weight and bouncyness which sometimes waste your energy.

I had a Diamondback (DBR) ZeTech Comp a few years back that I loved. Then I got a Schwinn Moab that was pretty sweet too. Alas, I'm un-biked at the moment...and it sux.
tongue.gif

I have one of the original trek Y bikes, plus a carbon roadbike, galfriends brother worked at the factory so I got hooked up. Probably old tech compared to todays stuff but they still work.

Nice bike KHS,infact when you give it a workout you will be pleased at the ride,when I worked a bike shop we carred KHS and they make a great bang for the buck,and a nice rideable bike,with quality.BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back