My new "Franken-Fill"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been a fan of mixing oils, however, after seeing a VOA of Redline, I figured that it would be a great additive to essentially "Dope" your current brand of oil.

I recently did a change to my 97 Sunfire. I was a religious Mobil 1 addict, but jumped on the PP bandwagon. Both I think are great products, essentially flip a coin and choose.

Superstore up here had not PP, so I went back to my old friend of Mobil 1 5W-30. However, I also added one liter/quart of Redline 5W-30, that is always stocked at my Canadian Tire, at a hefty price of 12.99 a liter!!!

Well, I must say that my vehicle has again changed? Start up is very fast. But I did notice something. The Sunfire 2.2 is geared for more city driving, with the Tach hovering at 3000 rpm when cruising at 100 kph. However, with my new fill, it actually wants more revs. The engine feels loose and revs more freely. I have better throttle response and better highway perfomance.

I know that Mobil 1 and PP are rather similar, but I must attribute this result to the introduction of Redline. That stuff just makes your engine zing. Very impressed, and I should be at the price of 13 bucks a can.

Anyone else have a similar result from Redline. I think that I'm going to call this "Franken-Fill" RED-1!!!!!!

Lots of redline use here and I will say it is awesome product. Imagine if you filled completely with redline!!

Placebo much? :p

Only time I notice a difference in oils is when I pull the dipstick, (consumption, discoloration) or during cold winter startup in the morning.

Nothing else ever makes any difference at all, inculding grades, dino or conventional.

No Placebo.

Just real word driveability. The vehicle feels different. Like I said, better throttle response especially in the upper rpms.

Why is this Placebo? I didn't place any sugar tablets in my Sunfire, and gave my Kia Aspirin. That Placebo term is a wash!! If you feel a difference you feel and hear a difference. With my previous PP, the car was quiet, however, with the M1 in the crankcase, yes, the engine does emit a little more sound.

Sorry, Placebo there. I put a sugar pill in one ear , and the other got an Aspirin.

Mobil 1 has been watered down and is not what it used to be, in order to deliver more bonus to CEO. I would dump the Mobil 1 and use 50:50 Redline, with some other cheaper synthetic.
The reason it is called Redline, is because it is designed to let ur engine get to the red line with no sweat. Even SuperTech synthetic is just as good as today's Mobil 1.

^ lol.. where is all this stuff coming from? You guys need to stop speculating. I assume you guys have independent lab tests and proof with these claims?

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
Mobil 1 has been watered down and is not what it used to be, in order to deliver more bonus to CEO.

This is the best thing I've read on here in months! I love the way you have written them off in disgust. Let's face it, lies by omission are still lies. They traded their stellar name in for just a good one. It's a shame really. I hear you loud and clear.

The most absurd thing I read on here is, "don't worry about what base oils are used. Just worry about the overall performance of the oil." That's a condescending, narrow-minded and controlling statement. Even if it's meant with no harm. This is a discussion forum about motor oil. Lots of people are concerned about what's in their synthetics. Who is anyone to tell them not to be?

I will say that Mobil's 0W-xx's are my favorite. I'll continue to buy them and use them. You get a lot for your money when they're on sale. There's no real shelf competition. Other than GC 0W-30 and a lot of cars can't use it.

Last edited:
Small engines respond to oil thickness.
This can be felt in engine response.

A load of moly [from the Redline] may also cause a better engine feel. It might be slipperier inside, and that can be a good thing.

My first guess is that somehow the oil mix is thinner.

I'd agree that there is probably a change. I drive a 2.2 OHV-powered Cavalier, and I swear my car run smoother and starts faster with a high-moly oil in it.

I've thought about trying Redline for this exact reason....

I think you hit it on the head. I just read the bottle of Redline, and it even says that it will lower the Coefficient of Friction inside of the engine.

Even though it also has a load of ZDDP, I think that the Moly is giving it a more "Slippery" feel.

I think that I am going to run it 50:50 with Pennzoil Platinum, then with some Pennzoil Ultra once it arrives in Canada.

Then I can call it Pennz-Line Platinum or Pennz-line Ultra!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
The most absurd thing I read on here is, "don't worry about what base oils are used. Just worry about the overall performance of the oil." That's a condescending, narrow-minded and controlling statement.

Absolutely.

What does performance have to do with anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back