My New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
After talking it over with the wife, and spending $88 this week in gas, I traded in the Ram for a Silver 2005 Accord Coupe, 5-spd manual, leather interior, sun roof, XM radio, heated seats. Zero down and am paying $12 more a month. Car gets 26mpg city/ 35Hwhy.
smile.gif
Car is very nice and feels like it's made very well, like a Honda.
grin.gif

It has a 2.4L 4cyl that has good power and torque. With a lot of uncertainty ahead at my job and not relocating, it was something I had to do. I'm happy with the decion and the car.

Now on to oil....I'm thinking Mobil 1 R for this car. I'm leaving the factory oil in their until about 7,000 miles so I have plenty of time to think and watch how this GF-4 thing plays out. This is the craziest thing I've ever done. The Ram was only my second new car ever and I only had it for 6 months. Took it off road twice and through a blizzard once. I can't tell you how many people I've come across that are just unhappy with the gas mileage they are getting. Some of these guys are only hitting 9mpg. It's that bad.

Congrats
smile.gif
!Nice ride,my cousin has a 94 with a 2.2l Vtec engine with 160K on it and the engine is still silky smooth
cool.gif

Enjoy your new found MPG's!

BTW
M1 0W20 is a winner in your new application.

Thanks. It's definitely smooth. Car has 11 miles on it. Had 9 when I took it off the lot.

Congrats Buster, I've owned trucks and cars for less than six months and don't have any regrets. The Honda should last a long time. Good luck on your future decisions on job hunting. I'm almost 52 and have not decided what kind of job I want to have either.
cheers.gif

quote:

I'm almost 52 and have not decided what kind of job I want to have either.

cheers.gif
It's tough when your just not sure what you want to do.
confused.gif

quote:

Tell me it ain't so. Here's my UOA on a 2002 Accord 3.0L V6

My bad, 5,000 miles is the normal service interval. This engine and the V6 are different. Might flush it out around 1,000 and put more of the Honda oil in it.

Welcome to the Honda Club! As for the first oil change, I wouldn't wait that long. I waited on my 2004 Element 2.4L until 7200 miles, and the oil was a mess. I'm using Redline 5w-20 and K&N filters for now. I might try M1 later.

Nope, in 7200 miles it didn't use any. I was pretty surprised. But, I wish I had changed the oil earlier, considering how nasty it looked after all those miles.

You were unhappy with 9 mpg? What did you expect, it was a full size truck with a V-8.
grin.gif
The Honda sure will be a nice car but I could never get into driving a car after owning trucks all my life. But that's just me. Congrats on the Honda, nice ride.

quote:

Nope, in 7200 miles it didn't use any. I was pretty surprised. But, I wish I had changed the oil earlier, considering how nasty it looked after all those miles.

How did you drive it when you first bought it? Did you break it in slow?
cheers.gif

I wasn't gentle with it during the break-in period. I put about 60 miles a day on it commuting to/from work. Still, it survived!

Buster: Congrats. Very nice car. Use 5W20 like they want, not some racing oil. Just drive it normal. Pretend it has 10,000 miles on it. Just crank it up and go. Just don't go to the drag strip.
grin.gif

Congrats Buster. Welcome to the Honda owner family. I think you'll find the build quality of the entire car quite impressive. Your new vehicle is also safer since it's not on the ELF hit list.
grin.gif

IMHO, I'd leave the factory fill in for 3K miles as I don't think you can find another oil with that much moly in it and I can't help but think they put it in there for a reason. Do a couple more 4K OCIs with 5w20 dino and at 10K you can change over to M1 xW-20 and 10K OCIs.

You won't have to baby it to break it in, but don't beat the crap out of it either. With aluminum engines, I think it's especially important to let it warm up good before you run it hard.

Enjoy!
cheers.gif

quote:

Welcome to the Honda owner family. I think you'll find the build quality of the entire car quite impressive. Your new vehicle is also safer since it's not on the ELF hit list.

IMHO, I'd leave the factory fill in for 3K miles as I don't think you can find another oil with that much moly in it and I can't help but think they put it in there for a reason. Do a couple more 4K OCIs with 5w20 dino and at 10K you can change over to M1 xW-20 and 10K OCIs.

Thanks for the good advice. I'm going to follow exactly what you suggested as I think it's the best thing to do. One thing I've realized over the years here is that many of the dino oils do very well to a certain point. I'm going to change over sometime around 7-10k miles.

And YES, the build quality is awesome.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back