My new bundle of joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After passing/missing out on a new Ruger Mini-14 for $599 recently, I thought I'd step up my casual search to the bigger brother (and a bucket list rifle for me) and look for an M1A of some variation. Some very good info was expressed by some very knowledgeable folks here (thanks!). I found it last night. Here is my new bundle of joy....... a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad. Absolutely like new (only 20 rounds fed through it) and came with two 20 round magazines. Snagged it for............well................LESS than $1,000. Did I do well?
grin.gif

Of the M1A models, that is the one I would own. The SOCOM is too short, the standard is too long, the Scout Squad is...just right.

You made a really good deal for that rifle. Congrats!

I have a soft spot for those rifles. I had to tote an M1 Garand around in boot camp, and I qualified with the M14 later on. I had to "attend" a "school" put on by the Corps, and they decided that the M14 best fit my needs
smile.gif

The Navy kept M14s on board ship well after other branches stopped issuing them.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Of the M1A models, that is the one I would own. The SOCOM is too short, the standard is too long, the Scout Squad is...just right.

You made a really good deal for that rifle. Congrats!

I have a soft spot for those rifles. I had to tote an M1 Garand around in boot camp, and I qualified with the M14 later on. I had to "attend" a "school" put on by the Corps, and they decided that the M14 best fit my needs
smile.gif

The Navy kept M14s on board ship well after other branches stopped issuing them.

thumbsup2.gif

Well done!

They're expensive, and that's a great price.

Grease it properly, don't be too OCD about cleaning (just the barrel after a range session, the receiver stays pretty clean after firing because the gas stays up front) and enjoy your new rifle!

You didn't, "do well".... You STOLE IT! Very well done! This is my SOCOM 16. I've had it for a few years now, and it's been a great rifle. Plenty of firepower, and great Tritium open sights. It runs like a Rolex on most any ammo.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You didn't, "do well".... You STOLE IT! Very well done! This is my SOCOM 16. I've had it for a few years now, and it's been a great rifle. Plenty of firepower, and great Tritium open sights. It runs like a Rolex on most any ammo.

The SOCOM was definitely on my list. Just happened to come across the Scout Squad first. Can't wait to take it to the range. Very nice!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What a miss on the thread title.

Sorry, but I'm done having kids. I assume that's what you were referring to?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Well done!

They're expensive, and that's a great price.

Grease it properly, don't be too OCD about cleaning (just the barrel after a range session, the receiver stays pretty clean after firing because the gas stays up front) and enjoy your new rifle!

Thanks, Astro!

Great find for an absolute steal!

You dodged a bullet not getting that mini 14 (no pun intended.)
wink.gif

And in all honesty, the Mini 14 and M-14 have less in common than some realize. Aesthetically similar maybe, but mechanically different.

The only thing Ruger makes that isn't best used as a boat anchor is the 10/22 IMO.
49.gif

Congrats OP! Be looking forward to the first range report!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Awesome deal!

I've often said that if I were to decide to buy an M1A, it would be the Scout Squad. As others have said, the 18" barrel is the Goldilocks "just right".

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Great find for an absolute steal!

You dodged a bullet not getting that mini 14 (no pun intended.)
wink.gif

And in all honesty, the Mini 14 and M-14 have less in common than some realize. Aesthetically similar maybe, but mechanically different.

The only thing Ruger makes that isn't best used as a boat anchor is the 10/22 IMO.
49.gif

Congrats OP! Be looking forward to the first range report!
thumbsup2.gif

LOL, I wouldn't be so hard on Ruger. For sure, not "top shelf" in many areas, but my Ruger American more than adequately felled an elk last year (is reasonably accurate, but I wouldn't be making any 1,000 yard shots), and my Ruger SR9c is one of my go-to CCW choices. Has always performed reliably and accurately. I do love my 10/22. It certainly is a top notch plinker.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

grin.gif

First choice would have been a Boxer rescue. But thanks for being a good sport about the snarky comment.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 28oz

grin.gif

First choice would have been a Boxer rescue. But thanks for being a good sport about the snarky comment.
smile.gif

cheers3.gif

I am very envious. What a lovely Rifle. You are fortunate to be able to own one. I remember shooting a standard issue one back in the 80s when we could have them. It was a hoot. You need a FAL now to compliment it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back