My nearly perfect 2003 BMW 330Ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I special ordered this car from the factory because I didn't want a sunroof, taking possession on February 2003. The car has never been driven in rain or on wet roads. It's never spent a single day parked outside for more than 15 minutes, nor has it spent a single night parked outside. Basically, the only time it's outside is when it's being driven.

Two or three times a year I hand wash the entire undercarriage using a wool wash mitt. I don't use harsh chemicals and I'd never dream of using a power washer!

I do 100% of my own work. Since taking possession the car has not been serviced or worked on my anyone except me. When getting tires I remove the wheels and take them "loose" to the tire shop.

The car has 83K miles on it and it's been flawless. Even though the car is pampered it gets "driven".

Anyway, I just thought you might enjoy seeing a meticulously maintained California car. Once again, these pictures were taken in April 2014. These pictures were taken when the car had 83K miles on it!

Scott

==============

List of mods:

BBS CH 19x8.5, 35mm offset
Bridgestone RE-11 Y-rated 235/35-19
H&R Springs
Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks, E36 M3 Versions On Rear
BMW Motorsport Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates
Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts
H&R Sport Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, 27mm front, 21mm Rear
Turner Motorsports Adjustable, Ball Jointed Front Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
Mason Engineering Adjustable, Spherical Bearing Rear Anti-Roll Bar Endlinks
Mason Engineering Front Strut Brace
BMW Motorsport ZHP Front Control Arms
BMW M3 Engine Mounts
BMW M3 Transmission Mounts
Lemforder 66mm Front Control Arm Bushings
BMW M3 Rear Control Arm Bushings
Turner Motorsports Rear Control Arm Bushing Limiters
BMW M3 Spherical Bearing Rear Lower/Outer Control Arm Bushings
BMW Group N Spherical Bearing Rear/Upper Control Arm Bushings
Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines F/R
BMW Motorsport Cross-drilled, Fully Floating Front Brake Rotors
Jurid Sport Front Brake Pads
BMW M3 Rear Brake Pads
Turner Motorsports Brass Brake Caliper Bushings
Borla Catback Stainless Steel Exhaust
Meyle Heavy Duty Rear Differential Mounts
BMW ZHP Finned Rear Differential Cover/Cooler
BMW ZHP Shift Knob
B&M Short Shift Kit
UUC Stainless Steel, Weighted Shift Rod
Mason Engineering Quick Shift Geometry Clutch Pedal Arm
Stewart Engineering Water Pump
Rogue Engineering Underdrive Pulley Set
BMW M3 Trunk Lid Spoiler Lip
BMW Motorsport Alcantara Steering Wheel

SLOTownDriverSide_zpsbe18fc09.jpg

IMG_0912_zps427202fe.jpg

IMG_0909_zps637fa0f7.jpg

SLOTownCenter1_zps544dd0c5.jpg

SLOTownLF1_zps8dbee4cf.jpg

SLOTownRF2_zpsbebb70e7.jpg

SLOTownLF2_zps84185b6c.jpg

SLOTownRR3_zps03cbbfa2.jpg

SLOTownLR2_zps3db85d7f.jpg

SLOTownTrans1_zps2ab9f1a6.jpg

SLOTownLR5_zpsf1352e5b.jpg

SLOTownDiff2_zpsfd600ad3.jpg

SLOTownRS1_zpsd9243c30.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful car, I love how simple yet nice the interior is, that underbody.. wow.. my 2013 forte is rougher than that underneath. How many miles have you got racked up on that beast?

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Wow, what a beautiful car, I love how simple yet nice the interior is, that underbody.. wow.. my 2013 forte is rougher than that underneath. How many miles have you got racked up on that beast?

The pictures were taken in April 2014 when it had 83K miles on it.

Scott

Beautiful! You remind me of the early 'sports' enthusiasts who purchased european cars to drive them and also work on them. It wasn't all just about 'status'. It was about the thrill of driving. Sad to see such has really declined.

Why no sunroof?

Wow.

I think most cars are dirtier than that before they leave the factory.

Simply amazing.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
[censored] that undercarriage looks brand spankin new. Nice job.

Holy cow that undercarriage IS clean!! Man that looks GREAT!!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Beautiful! You remind me of the early 'sports' enthusiasts who purchased european cars to drive them and also work on them. It wasn't all just about 'status'. It was about the thrill of driving. Sad to see such has really declined.

Why no sunroof?

First, thanks all for your nice comments.

No sunroof? I'm a tall guy, 6'6'. That said, I've never liked sunroofs anyway. Too much extra weight up high. And strange as it might sound, on the two cars I had with sunroofs, I don't think I ever opened one except to see that it worked when I bought the car. No joke.

And I agree with you on your other comment. I'd call myself a hardcore "gear head". Part of the fun of owning a car, to me at least, is working on them. I've handled enough chemicals over my 61 year life that I probably qualify for EPA Superfund status. There are things I used to expose myself to back in the old days than make me cringe today. I'm much more selective and careful now.

Scott

Originally Posted By: mcrn
How do you like your suspension set up?

I love it. It's taken me years to get it totally dialed into the way I like a chassis to behave. This is an oversimplification, but I will sacrifice absolute grip for instantaneous transient response. I want the car's "turn in" to be razor sharp.

I've experimented with both H&R Sports (in the pictures) and Eibach Pro-kit springs. The H&Rs are more extreme and provide better turn in and absolute grip. When I have the H&Rs in I run the front bar full soft, the rear bar at its middle setting. The biggest problem with the H&Rs is that they greatly reduce front suspension travel. I've taken the time to accurately measure front suspension travel and with the H&Rs the front strut has only 1/2' of travel until it starts to contact the bump stop (and I'm running Bilstein Sport struts which are designed for shorter springs; they have additional suspension travel). Even on smooth roads I don't think there is enough suspension travel in front.

In contrast, the Eibachs are much smoother riding (but I like the stiffer ride of the H&Rs), but with the ride height of the Eibachs being about 3/4 higher in front than the H&Rs, I like having the additional suspension travel. The rear ride height is the same for both Eibach and H&R, meaning that the H&R setup has more rake. To get the Eibachs optimized, I have to set the front and rear bars to full hard. Even making these adjustments, the car handles better with the H&Rs. But understand, the Eibachs are very good too. For a track car I'd run the H&Rs without question. For a street car, even one driven on super smooth roads, I think the Eibachs are more suitable.

Also realize, I've made many changes to bushings, etc., with the deliberate intent of improving the handling; transient response in particular. There's much more to it than just springs. Also too, I run zero toe, front and rear. This makes a really big difference, but the car can be "nervous" on some road surfaces.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back