My name is Sous (well not really)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing Rhonda Patricks' video on how to hack broccoli to more than treble the amount of the anti cancer sufurophane in Broccolli and sprouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7buU-PK7_I

I was after a Sous Vide (wanted to for steaks too)...WAY too pricey.

Was at a coal mine the other day, and they had a temperature controllable kettle with a heat hold mode.

Bingo, there's Sous, without paying full freight for her.

Bought it for broccoli, so first batch in zip lol bags.. .
Still very crisp,lost a lot of the bitterness, and definitely salad worthy

20181124_170421.jpg

Knocking out a couple of slow cooked eggs.
The 8f resolution means you can't get too fancy, but the accuracy of control seems pretty good.

20181124_170107.jpg

20181124_170110.jpg

I've seen a few commercials for an apparatus or two on Canadian TV. My dinner, however, would probably be those ramen noodles you have in the background, then I'd grab some tortillas and finish off that Doritos salsa or whatever it is you have laying there.
wink.gif

Garak,
with the celiacs around me, I have a limited 576 square inch place to work.

Even then, when they decide to prep and cook because they've filled their square metres with dirty equipment, I get the blame

Originally Posted by Garak
those ramen noodles you have in the background,

those Indo-mie noodles with all the little flavour packs inside quite tasty as far as ramen noodles go.. had to break the habit though when I saw sodium benzoate (salt of benzene) used as preservative. Trying to avoid that one

Eggs and broccoli! Heathy for sure, DIM and SGS galore, just remember to keep a match handy and maintain ventilation..
wink.gif
BTW that egg looks great both in finish and quality- look at the colour saturation of that yolk! The hallmark of a decently nutritious egg from a reasonably well-raised chicken

Yeah those noodles are late Sunday lunch maybe twice a month...but they ARE "addicitive", in that I could see it easily becoming a daily habit.

I Sous Vide(d?) a couple of Scotch Fillet steaks that had been in the freezer for a while now.

You CAN overcook them...they ended up well done...but first time I've ever had well done steak that was juicy, tender, and flavourfull.

Originally Posted by Shannow

I was after a Sous Vide (wanted to for steaks too)...WAY too pricey.

Was at a coal mine the other day, and they had a temperature controllable kettle with a heat hold mode.

Bingo, there's Sous, without paying full freight for her.

If you decide to pursue this further, there are other cheap options. An old school crockpot without electronic controls plugged into a temperature controller works really well.

https://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc308.html

Ed

Garak,
with the celiacs around me, I have a limited 576 square inch place to work.

That's not much.
wink.gif
You might have to do more outside then!

As for the noodles, yes, they can be too easy of a habit. My personal chef is Boyardee, so I get too much of that, over noodle packets.

Canadian Tire up here is really advertising a sous vide thing for about $100. With the amount of advertising they're doing, I think they're hoping for it to be this year's Christmas sensation. We're lucky Philip Kives isn't around, or we'd be overwhelmed with ads.

More is better? What is the therapeutic Index for sulforaphane and how do you know how much sulforaphane you are getting?

therapeutic index ?

Like RDA ?

RDAs of things stop immediate things like rickets and scurvy, and clearly with the current health of the western world, not much more than that

therapeutic index ?

Like RDA ?

RDAs of things stop immediate things like rickets and scurvy, and clearly with the current health of the western world, not much more than that

Definition of therapeutic index
: a measure of the relative desirability of a drug for the attaining of a particular medical end that is usually expressed as the ratio of the largest dose producing no toxic symptoms to the smallest dose routinely producing cures

No, not RDA. I'm just wondering how you know that more sulforaphane than you already ingest is actually beneficial versus useless versus harmful. The poison is always in the dose.

https://www.kevinstock.io/health/health-dangers-of-cruciferous-vegetables/

What does Kevin Stock sell? Now, don't get me wrong. I'm almost a complete carnivore. However, I've never seen anyone eat themselves to death or harm on vegetables or fruits. Every post on his site is entitled "Health Dangers of..." some plant based material. I don't need a bunch of scare mongering, however, to convince me that I like steak and burgers and turn my nose up at cooked vegetables.

Incidentally, why is his site set up with an .io domain? He fear prosecution and/or lawsuits if he tries flinging this in a first world domain?

Obligatory Seinfeld reference: Hey, what do you call a doctor who failed out of med school? A dentist.

Originally Posted by Garak
What does Kevin Stock sell? Now, don't get me wrong. I'm almost a complete carnivore. However, I've never seen anyone eat themselves to death or harm on vegetables or fruits. Every post on his site is entitled "Health Dangers of..." some plant based material. I don't need a bunch of scare mongering, however, to convince me that I like steak and burgers and turn my nose up at cooked vegetables.

Incidentally, why is his site set up with an .io domain? He fear prosecution and/or lawsuits if he tries flinging this in a first world domain?

Obligatory Seinfeld reference: Hey, what do you call a doctor who failed out of med school? A dentist.

Sulforaphane is a compound our bodies actively neutralize upon detection because of the cell apoptosis. cell death, this compound can cause. Chemotherapy medications work in a similar manner. to sulforaphane. That's why sulforaphane is being explored in cancer research. Without proper research the benefits of increased sulforaphane ingestion are speculative as are harmful effects. I'll keep eating my cruciferous veggies as usual: raw and cooked normally and in normal quantities. Maybe read what this more credible source says about SFN (sulforaphane) and its safety especially in regard to its biphasic effect on cell growth and migration:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273949/

Rhonda Patrick, mentioned earlier, promotes the growing of your own broccoli sprouts.

Thusly, dosage is not a factor here.

Food and food based supplementation is a good way to go IMV.

I use a high end super green based formula, a cell protector formula based upon sprouted cruciferous vegetables, sprouted garlic, and turmeric, and finally a heart protector formula based upon hawthorn berry, pomegranate, and grape seed extract.

People tend to die from either cancer or heart disease.

Insulin resistance is the key to anti aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back