My most favorite Bicycle I have ever owned, maybe even more than motorcycles.

I never thought I would go back to Bicycles after selling all of them to make room for motorcycles. But after riding motorcycles, I've become well-acquainted with their downsides. The big downside that I did not foresee is the pillion conversation impediment. The seating arrangement, helmets, and the wind noise detracts so greatly from a conversation, it's not even worth having most the time. Then there is also the danger aspect. A motorcycle is not as glamorous a date-vehicle as the movies led me to believe. But, neither are bicycles, so I thought.

Bikes are slow, you have to manage distances with partners, and the fitness difference between riders can also make for a frustrating experience. The tandem bike mostly eliminates those issues, but there is still the stroker face-in-butt fore/aft issue. It's not the best for socializing. But nonetheless, I was looking for a tandem bike for my girlfriend and myself. I came across a freak of a tandem bike that I had never seen before on Craigslist.

Enter the Buddy Bike.

An 80's funk machine where the riders are side-by-side, on a single pair of wheels. Only one rider operates the steering, gears, and brakes. The other simply helps pedal. The pedaling is synchronized. It was briefly sold back in the early 80s before the company went out of business. These bicycles are extremely rare. I cannot emphasize enough how ecstatic I was to come across it. Dare I say I felt divinely blessed. I purchased the bike, full aware of people disqualifying them as slow, hard to balance, and frustrating.

After my girlfriend and I took about 30 minutes just figuring out how to launch, I began to comprehend just how wonderful this bike is. The fun we had was incomparable to any other physical activity we have done (kayaking). The ease of talking to one another and the lack of visual obstruction of the stroker separated this bike from all other tandems. And really, once you get going, it's not hard to balance at all, heck I can confidently ride the thing solo.

What a shame these things didn't catch on. I would love to get more of them in different sizes, better gears, etc. The gear shifting on this antique is the old style lever on the frame - just AWFUL to use. Other than that, I am the proud owner of a really unique bike. My girlfriend and I just can't wait to ride this thing every time. This bike will be in my family for as long as possible. I don't see myself ever selling this thing.
IMG_5833.JPG

that looks ....... dangerous.
also I assume the pair better be within, uh, eleven pounds as far as weight is concerned. ?

lol, that is the response of anyone who has not ridden one. Like I said, once you get going, it is not a problem. The inertia of the wheels keep it stable, despite weight differences. A 210lb father rode it around with his 90lb son, and they had no problem.

up or down a steep hill?
The bike is very heavy, about 60lbs. So if both riders are not in good shape, going up a hill is extremely difficult. I noticed no issues with the crank and pedals at all - feels like any normal bicycle. If you don't look down, you couldn't distinguish that you're offset from the center of the wheels.

That shifter is easily changed to some sort of paddle shifter on the handlebar. Please tell us you and your lovely GF aren't riding around on tires from the 80's. If you are stop now and get some new tires and tubes before you have a blowout. And replace the brake pads too. You might be able to put on a smaller chainring to gear it down if you need to. I had to google Buddy Bike as I've never heard of them and I've been into bikes forever. Very cool find. There's a new Buddy Bike (buddybike.com) for special needs use.

That shifter is easily changed to some sort of paddle shifter on the handlebar. Please tell us you and your lovely GF aren't riding around on tires from the 80's. If you are stop now and get some new tires and tubes before you have a blowout. And replace the brake pads too. You might be able to put on a smaller chainring to gear it down if you need to. I had to google Buddy Bike as I've never heard of them and I've been into bikes forever. Very cool find. There's a new Buddy Bike (buddybike.com) for special needs use.

Is there anything else I should do lubrication wise? Should I lube pivoting points, like the fork, or crank bearing? The bike does not look like it was ridden much. The cassette and crank ring teeth all look unworn (no pointy teeth, all still blunt-tips).

The tires are weird. The sidewalls are cracking, but they are orange, and made of a different material than the contact rubber. The rubber tread looks and feels nice and supple. no cracking. I'm not sure if they are original or not. Brake pads do look original, and are also unworn. I find it easy to believe a bike as unusual as this one was not ridden much, despite being nearly 40 years old.

The cranks on that thing are hilarious. You could totally put modern ten speed shifting on that bike. It would require a rear wheel to be built custom. I would use any reputable hub with a Shimano type driver, 36 spoke holes and a Velocity Cliffhanger rim.
The rear hub spacing on that bike is either 130 or 135mm. You would have to measure.
I would also probably put V brakes on it so it might have a better chance of stopping.
I remember seeing either an ad for those or an article in a magazine. Very cool find.

Is there anything else I should do lubrication wise? Should I lube pivoting points, like the fork, or crank bearing? The bike does not look like it was ridden much. The cassette and crank ring teeth all look unworn (no pointy teeth, all still blunt-tips).

The tires are weird. The sidewalls are cracking, but they are orange, and made of a different material than the contact rubber. The rubber tread looks and feels nice and supple. no cracking. I'm not sure if they are original or not. Brake pads do look original, and are also unworn. I find it easy to believe a bike as unusual as this one was not ridden much, despite being nearly 40 years old.

If this bike lived a protected life in the Detroit area the grease in the bottom bracket and headset and hubs is probably okay. The parts on that bike likely weren't meant for the weight of 2 people, you might want to try to move the wheels side to side to see if there's any play in the hubs. Same with the headset, hold the front brake and rock the bike fore/aft and see if you can feel any looseness. Ditto the crank bearings, see if you can feel any looseness. Having bearings tightened was normal maintenance on bikes BITD. As NYE mentioned V-brakes & levers would bolt right on and give you a bunch more braking without modifying anything.

If you're not comfortable working on bikes you might want to take it to a shop and have it gone over for safety. You'll certainly get attention riding it around, have fun.

If this bike lived a protected life in the Detroit area the grease in the bottom bracket and headset and hubs is probably okay. The parts on that bike likely weren't meant for the weight of 2 people, you might want to try to move the wheels side to side to see if there's any play in the hubs. Same with the headset, hold the front brake and rock the bike fore/aft and see if you can feel any looseness. Ditto the crank bearings, see if you can feel any looseness. Having bearings tightened was normal maintenance on bikes BITD. As NYE mentioned V-brakes & levers would bolt right on and give you a bunch more braking without modifying anything.

If you're not comfortable working on bikes you might want to take it to a shop and have it gone over for safety. You'll certainly get attention riding it around, have fun.
The hubs would lead a hard life, The BB probably had an easy life. No out-of-the-saddle efforts and I doubt anyone has been riding that hard on that thing.

Back