my mom went to stealership

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just sold her my 05 sunfire and it did make a noise in front end when i turned wheel when staitonery...the bill was 1050.00 for 2 struts and a cv boot plus they patched a hole in emissions..my car had 85 k on it and i know my wife drove it easy...the front end was solid too, no bounce so i am surprised it needed struts..i replaced a front wheel bearing in jan and sound was still there...so the last 2 shops didnt recomend new struts cept stealership...i had a cavalier that went 8 years before i sold it with no new struts or muffler...my mom had a colonscopy wedsnesday and my brother said they found a benson chevrolet sign up there (franklin NH)....any opinions welcome, thanks

Originally Posted By: chet2
.my mom had a colonscopy wedsnesday and my brother said they found a benson chevrolet sign up there

LOL.gif

Yeah, did it fix it? That says it all.

Strut mounts can get loose and rattle. Struts have ben known to leak or go bad by that mileage...

Did they have to remove the axle in order to replace the CV boot? That takes time, right?

Obviously there was something wrong with the vehicle given that you replaced a wheel bearing.

LOL.gif
Good one on the colonoscopy. Noise from bad CV joint, but replacing the boot wouldn't likely fix that. That would require a new half shaft if it had gone bad. Struts sound like too much, but who knows. Is the sound gone?

Sounds more like they took her for a ride down the street to the Merrimack Dry Cleaners.
grin2.gif

I don't know about other things, but at 140K on my Cavalier, the bearings at the top of the strut went bad, creating noise on turns. I couldn't see putting struts with 85K back in. Come on, they are a wear item. I think the parts ran about $200 at Rock Auto for me. I could easily see $1000 for struts at the stealer. Even an independent shop would be at least $500.

it did fix the noise but car was in no way bouncy...i could see the cv boot being warranted... my bro might get brakes on his car if he keeps it but this time bensons wont be getting the bizness, he brought the car up to my town which is 45 miles away

did they state why the dampeners were replaced? they could have been adding to the noise or they could have been beginning to show signs of leaking which are valid reasons to replace.

dealerships should be used only if it is covered by a warrantee some of them Love when people bring in their cars for non warrantee service because all they hear is cha ching as your cash is sucked out of your wallet.. Im sure some of them are honest and don't try to sell you what you don't need but the prices some of them charge should be criminal but as long as the customer agrees to the work and price they are within their rights...
Don't forget they have high expenses like the rest of us

So does your Mom want a "perfect" car? Might be that noise was very annoying to her and she shopped around until she found someone who could cure it.

Quote:
my mom had a colonscopy wedsnesday and my brother said they found a benson chevrolet sign up there

I laughed so hard I about got sick!

John

Originally Posted By: chet2
... my mom had a colonscopy wedsnesday and my brother said they found a benson chevrolet sign up there...

crackmeup2.gif
LMAO!!!!!

my mom didnt shop around she just went there for the emissions test...they have a machine that can find out where smoke is leaking...if i had been there i wouldve told her to bring it up to my mechanic after bensons fixed emissions

Better get a second opinion. They might have replaced it with a Benson Clinic sign.

As moms go all you can really do is be there the next time to fend off the high pressure sales... at the dealership. She's on her own at the clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back