My M1 Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been lurking on the boards for the last few months and finally registered today.!

Anyhow, I recently started using synthetics in my 2 Toyota Trucks (99' Tacoma S/C'd 3.4 V6 and 03' 4Runner 4.7 V8). My dealer has used Dino (Quaker State, I think)in the Tacoma since new for 75K miles with 3K mi drain intervals. At 75K I started doing my own maintenance (I now have a place to work on my trucks) and switched to M1 5W30. Since the change I've noticed that the motor is quieter and I've picked up a few MPG. I only have 2K mi on this interval so I can't really form any opinions yet.

Now with the 03' is a whole different issue. I dumped the factory oil at 500mi and replenished with dino - 5w30 Quaker State(dealer). I did the same at 1500mi, 3500mi and @ 5500 I switched to M1 5W30. My initial observation is that this oil was super thin compared to the 5w30 dino. Again, the gas mileage improved and the motor seemed to be smooth as silk. However, it consumed a 1/2 quart during the 5K mi interval. I wrote the consumption off as the motor still breaking in and that perhaps the 5W30 was too thin.. I changed it again @ 10,500K mi but decided to use the M1 10w30 based on what I've read on this board and my experience with the 5W30. I bought a 5QT jug M1 10W30 and I had 2qts of the M1 5W30 left over. Using the stock Toyota oil filter(always) I poured in the 10W30 and noticed that it wasn't much thicker then the 5W. I topped off with 1.5qts of the 5W30.

I've put 1500mi on the truck since the change and again it's consumed 1/2qt of oil! Either the M1 is too thin or my truck has a problem. Is this normal? I don't have this problem in the Tacoma... I've got almost 4K miles left on this oil but I'm thinking of switching to another synth such as Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple. If I do what weight should I use? The Amsoil 0W30? Is it thicker then the M1? Just looking for some advice and opinions..

the oil newb,
Justin

[ August 20, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: kaneman23 ]

I will tell you some cars just consume more than others. I don't think car companies get much alarmed with .5 qt in 1500 miles. I think you may be correct about the slightly lower viscosity.

I can recommend you give Amsoil 5W or 10W-30 a try. I have found these to be a bit higher vis at higher temps and seem to be less consumed.

Almost forgot:

welcome.gif

Love to get the friendly lurkers talking....out with it, speak, talk....tell us everything you know....where are the secret formulas?...the oil formula.....you KNOW the German oil formula? We haf waze off making you talk.....get the TBN poker out, the visco rubber hose....
grin.gif
oops sorry

Thanks Pablo,

I've considered Amsoil 5W30 and 5W30 is what the owner's manual specifies. Perhaps I will buy some now for my next change...

By all means try the Amsoil it will be a bit thicker. But the 5W-30 and 10W-30 Mobil 1 will be about the same thickness. As was mentioned some engines use more oil than others. And some engines will use more 30 wt. oil which is thinner than another brand 30 wt. I have hade some vehicles which after 6 or 7 K Miles show almost no oil use for the Mobil 1 10W-30. If you choose to stay wih Mobil 1 use a mix of 25% 15W-50 Mobil 1 (approx-more if you like) and 75% 10W-30.

But like I said-give the Amsoil a try- (support our friendly Amsoil sponsors)

welcome.gif

I just thought of something.....

I always slightly overfill my oil(no more then 1/2 quart).. Toyota dipsticks have 2 dimples and the oil is supposed to be in between those marks. I believe the fill capacity of my motor is 6.2qts(which would put me perfectly in the middle mark). However, I prefer to pour in as much oil as I can without overfilling so I use enough fill up to the top dimple(usually takes 1/2qt to get there). PERHAPS, the extra 1/2qt is too much and it's burning off the excess? Just a thought.. Sorry for sounding like such a newb..

quote:

Originally posted by kaneman23:
I just thought of something.....

I always slightly overfill my oil(no more then 1/2 quart).. Toyota dipsticks have 2 dimples and the oil is supposed to be in between those marks. I believe the fill capacity of my motor is 6.2qts(which would put me perfectly in the middle mark). However, I prefer to pour in as much oil as I can without overfilling so I use enough fill up to the top dimple(usually takes 1/2qt to get there). PERHAPS, the extra 1/2qt is too much and it's burning off the excess? Just a thought.. Sorry for sounding like such a newb..

That is entirely possible! Next interval try not adding that 1/2qt, and see how the consumption is.

I tried the same thing myself on this last interval. I added about 1/4 of a quart less oil to see if my consumption would change, since I've been adding more than the specified amount too. But consumption was the same, so I'm going back to the higher amount.

I run 4.2qts of oil in both my wife's Honda and my sister's Honda, both of them call for only 3.8 qts, and neither of their engines burn any oil. (my wife's dipstick doesn't move at all in a 5k interval, my sister's changed by maybe a mm or two in an 8k interval)

Patman,

That's what I will do.. I may have loss much less then a 1/2qt as I estimated. I thought the fill capcity was 6.2 off the top of my head but it's 6.5.. I filled up just slightly over 6.5 last change(1/4qt)... I probably just lost the extra 1/4... Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Rexman. I have a few friends that want to blame it on the fact that I'm using synthetic oil or that I blended the 5w and 10w together.... Just goes to show how uneducated most people are when it comes to lubrication..
wink.gif

quote: 2 quart during the 5K mi interval. >>>>>>>>

With this sort of oil consumption , you will be the envy of everyone on this board.

All vehicles are designed to burn a little oil.
Your consumption is nothing to be concerned about.

Nosmo King,

Thanks for the reassurance. Also, I may have consumed much less then I estimated because I was wrong about the fill capacity. It's probably closer to a 1/4qt. I'm just happy to know that this is normal.. Take care,

Justin

While 1/2 qt in 5k is definitely a good amount, I'm still glad my wife's Honda uses less than 100ml every 5k. The dipstick level does not change at all from the beginning to the very end of the interval.

My 95 Firebird leaks more oil than it burns, and it consumes it at a rate of close to 1/2qt every 5k, perhaps a bit more. If I ever get around to fixing the leak (from the rear of the intake manifold), I'm sure consumption will drop to less than 1/4qt every 5k.

I've noticed the same phenomena many times. If you fill it all the way up to the upper level on the dipstick, some of it disappears. Where does it go? Dunno. Up to that big oil tanker in the sky I guess.
wink.gif

The oil changes with M1 5W30 on our Forester usually require 1/4 qt. top up with only half your mileage, so your consumption is really not out of line, IMO.

Top it off with Mobil 1 15w-50 or get the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synth. $3 a quart, a steal, better than M1, imo.

I don't believe the statement "all vehicles were designed to burn a little oil". This is B.S. unless you're talking about a Rotary engine eg. Mazda. Otherwise, it's manuf. verbiage for "we know, but it's normal, so we won't fix it".

I had something similar happen in my 2000 Honda Civic Si, but to a lesser degree. It used about 1/2 quart in 7,500 miles with 5W30 Pennzoil dino. Switched to Mobil 1 5W30 and was amazed that it was down 1/2 quart at 4,000 miles! Now, that isn't a lot of consumption, but the difference is dramatic. I am sticking with the Mobil 1 to see if it gets better, worse or stays the same. Good alternatives are Mobil 1 0W40 or Delvac 1 5W40.

quote:

Originally posted by kaneman23:
I've been lurking on the boards for the last few months and finally registered today.!

Anyhow, I recently started using synthetics in my 2 Toyota Trucks (99' Tacoma S/C'd 3.4 V6 and 03' 4Runner 4.7 V8). My dealer has used Dino (Quaker State, I think)in the Tacoma since new for 75K miles with 3K mi drain intervals. At 75K I started doing my own maintenance (I now have a place to work on my trucks) and switched to M1 5W30. Since the change I've noticed that the motor is quieter and I've picked up a few MPG. I only have 2K mi on this interval so I can't really form any opinions yet.

Now with the 03' is a whole different issue. I dumped the factory oil at 500mi and replenished with dino - 5w30 Quaker State(dealer). I did the same at 1500mi, 3500mi and @ 5500 I switched to M1 5W30. My initial observation is that this oil was super thin compared to the 5w30 dino. Again, the gas mileage improved and the motor seemed to be smooth as silk. However, it consumed a 1/2 quart during the 5K mi interval. I wrote the consumption off as the motor still breaking in and that perhaps the 5W30 was too thin.. I changed it again @ 10,500K mi but decided to use the M1 10w30 based on what I've read on this board and my experience with the 5W30. I bought a 5QT jug M1 10W30 and I had 2qts of the M1 5W30 left over. Using the stock Toyota oil filter(always) I poured in the 10W30 and noticed that it wasn't much thicker then the 5W. I topped off with 1.5qts of the 5W30.

I've put 1500mi on the truck since the change and again it's consumed 1/2qt of oil! Either the M1 is too thin or my truck has a problem. Is this normal? I don't have this problem in the Tacoma... I've got almost 4K miles left on this oil but I'm thinking of switching to another synth such as Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple. If I do what weight should I use? The Amsoil 0W30? Is it thicker then the M1? Just looking for some advice and opinions..

the oil newb,
Justin

I have had very good experience with the Rotella T 5W40. People on here this it is crap because it is Group III. I am going to try Delvac 1 for an oil change and see what differences I notice, if any, and have a UOA done on both.

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Top it off with Mobil 1 15w-50 or get the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synth. $3 a quart, a steal, better than M1, imo.

Well 1/2 a quart between changes is nothing. It is generaly accepted in the industry that 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. This is slowly changeing though. I think GM just released a new standard for it's newest generation of V8's. I belive it changes the old standard from 1 quart ever 1000 miles to 1 quart every 2000 miles.

It is really unlikely that engine breakin is causeing the consumption issue. It sounded like you ran a mix of 10W30 and 5W30 in the crank case. If this was the case I would try 100% 10W30 first. My family has never owned a Toyota that burned off M1 10W30 dureing OCI. We have been driveing Toyota's since 1971.

If you still burn some off then try Amsoil 10W30. German Castrol 0w30 is also thicker. The German Castrol say A3/B3 on back and the oil is green in color! You can also try the 10W30/15W50 mix. In this case you would add two quarts of M1 15W50 and fill the rest of the way with 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back