My love/hate relationship with Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided to stock up on oil for my Saab 9-5 Aero. I've got Mobil 1 15W-50 in it right now, but will be using the 5W-40 T&SUV for the fall through spring months.

Of course Wally World (or Whale Mart, take your pick) is the only place around here that carries it. Much to my delight they had the 5 quart jugs for $20.17
cheers.gif
Nice. I grabbed 2 of those and 2 loose quarts ($5.16 apiece), so now I'm set for the next 3 changes. With the PureOne filters that's ~$22 per oil change with top notch supplies.

I make my way to the checkout. There's 4 of the self-checkout things at this Walmart. Since I have a fully functioning brain, I figure I can zip through one of these.

I forgot to account for the interference of the dreaded Walmart shopper.

There's a small line formed by the self-checkouts. Everybody in one line, the person at the front goes to the next checkout that opens. The fair and sensible way to do things. That of course doesn't stop several idiots from strolling past us to wait by a particular machine
pat.gif
When this is pointed out at them, they tell you to go to ****.

The lady at one of the machines is letting her little kids do all the scanning. Training them for their future careers I suppose. She thinks it's delightful and apparently gets quite a kick out of it, oblivious to the fact that there's a large line of people waiting and she's taking several times as long as necessary.
nono.gif

The guy in front of me finally gets to a machine, and proceeds to scan about 20 cans of Campbell's soup. For some reason one of them doesn't scan in, or the machine didn't get a good weight reading. The machine says to re-scan the last item - he decided it was a better idea to start smacking it, push random buttons, and wander off in search of the non-existent helper employee.

After a good 10-15 minutes of waiting I finally get to a machine and get checked out in about 1 minute.

Of course the next time I'm in need of oil at a good price, I'll be right back in Walmart. Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

jeff

My personal opinion is that self checkouts at Walmart or anywhere else are just another way to put people out of work. I don't work for Walmart. It all started with self serve gas stations and has expanded from there. At first it was cheaper to pump your own gas and then after they had the public trained it became the same price and then the full service disappeared. Pretty soon the restaurants will want us to cook our own food.

I can understand the way you felt! That kind of stuff irritates me. Like when someone gets in the 10 or 15 items or less lane with more than the limit. I wonder "can't they read or can't they count?" Remember the scene from Seinfeld where he goes to the ATM and gets money out in a few seconds compared to others?

I agree with the self checkouts sometime being slow, but I think these are actually helpful to the average worker, opening up opportunities in other places. Imagine where we'd be if we never increased productivity in farming, for instance. When the tractor came along, we lost jobs in agriculture, but it allowed people to pursue other jobs, increasing everyone's wealth. Just allow the free market to work, and we'll all be better off.

Had a similar thing happen a few years ago in a McDs: we're all dutifully in a single line waiting for the 1st available. In strolls Bubba the BrainDead WhiteTrash Mullet and he proceeds to look at the line, then saunters up to the counter. When a lady in line tells him of his error (politely, moreso than I would have except she beat me to it), he replies "Get F*****, old lady."

The poor girl behind the counter is mortified and not really sure what to do....

Whereupon the biggest, baddest looking brother comes from around back somewhere (a customer), grabs Bubba from behind, bearhugs him and lifts him up and actually carries him outside.

I have no idea what happened after that, but brother returned shortly and I told him to "Please, go ahead of me..."

yep he did.

we need more "brothers" like that in the world.

i'm only 28 and i think we dont have enough farming in this country. i actually learned what real work is from farming. these concrete kids nowadays havent got a clue as to what real work is. to them its all about the Benjamins.

i havent got a use for those self check outs. for the guy who said that frees up someone to work in another position. yeah right. its all about the profits for wally mart. that position is just cut. i only shop there cause i get 10% discount.

Please don't misunderstand, I wasn't putting down farming. I was using it as an example of how improved technology has allowed us to use fewer people to produce more goods. This allows other people to work in other industries, and benefits us all. I think a farm is a great place for a kid to work. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

My fascination with Mal-Wart has to do with how they can simultaneously have the smallest aisles and the biggest people. And the most oblivious store layout planners.

If Walmart, or a large grocery store has self checkouts, give a discount when you use them.
BTW, they expect fraud and theft in these lines - it is already factored in. It still is way less than wages, benefits, insrance, and FICA for an employee.

I hate the place other than to buy motor oil. The front aisle of the store is impossible to navigate because of all the displays they clog it with (with shoppers browsing) and people stand aimlessly in the middle of aisles.

I never use the self scan at any store. I am unfamiliar with it, and all I would need to do is screw up and forget to scan something and get nailed as a shoplifter. Plus, it puts people out of work.

I have not been inside a WalMart in a long time. When I do buy oil there, I buy a lot at a time to delay going back for as long as possible.

Other than the oil, it is mostly Chinese junk.

If I sound like a cranky old man, it is because I am a cranky old man.
128.gif

ATM's should charge by the minute, instead of per transaction. Airlines should charge by the pound.

The express lanes at supermarkets should charge 10% extra, for people who are in a hurry.

quote:

Originally posted by Arctic388:
its all about the profits for wally mart.

Every single business in the USA that makes money is "all about the profits".

You guys keep talking about about how stupid people are at walmart and you guys aren't pulling ahead in the smarts race if you are entering and paying through the front of the store.

Just a a little advice guys.

Park at the automotive department. Enter through the door in the automotive department. Get oil off shelf in the automotive department. Pay real human being money at the check out in the (you guessed it) automotive department. Exit same way you entered (through the automotive department).

Now you can actually make fun of the tards at walmart without looking like one.
grin.gif

Seriously I only go to walmart to buy stuff from the automotive department. If I entered and checked out in the front of the store I would rather pay more somewhere else.

Home Depot is just as bad. They usually only have 1 register open with a real person. Trying to scan a 40 lb bag of fertilizer at the self-checkout is not fun.

Brett: re-read vicmackey's post only substitute "Outdoor" Section for his "Automotive" section.

quick in, quick out...

quote:

Originally posted by greenjp:
So I decided to.........checked out in about 1 minute.

Of course the next time I'm in need of oil at a good price, I'll be right back in Walmart. Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?

jeff

I stop by at 8AM Sunday mornings.
I like the prices.
I'm sorry for the employees.

[ August 29, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: HerkyJim ]

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
Brett: re-read vicmackey's post only substitute "Outdoor" Section for his "Automotive" section.

That also works for wal-marts without an automotive center.

The sporting goods section also works, if that register is open.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
ATM's should charge by the minute, instead of per transaction. Airlines should charge by the pound.

The express lanes at supermarkets should charge 10% extra, for people who are in a hurry.

Brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back