My last two cars were direct injection

No oil issues on my 2016 DI 5.3 Sierra. The trans though is a different story.
You faired better than me. 2018 Silverado, used some oil, not HUGE amounts but I’d definitely put a quart in it over 5,000 miles and the transmission definitely was a problem (actually got rid of it because of that).

But honestly the oil consumption wasn’t something I was overly super concerned about on that truck, however I did wonder if it would have gotten worse. I work in the trade and most silverados that come in for oil changes are at or below the “low” mark when I check them.

2014 Lexus GS 350, direct and port injected design. New to us with 72k. Just changed plugs. All had a tiny bit more soot on them than the typical textbook-looking plugs i normally see with Hondas and Toyotas. Intake tract wasn't too bad, some fresh black sticky mess in there but nothing worrisome. Plugs were very inconsistent in their wear. Oil is still light from the dealer but it has 7.5 quarts in it. Planning to change it to something I know soon, and go a touch heavier. 0-20 to be replaced with 5-30. It's a bit noisy on the top end.

I miss my 5 cyl 2.4 Volvos that were just consistent, reliable, and predictable.

M
Now that is a great engine and design. I owned a LS460 Years ago and when I changed my plugs at 100k half the plugs were soaked in oil...I thought, uh oh. And sure enough around 30,000 miles later I really started noticing oil consumption. By the time it reached 160,000 miles I knew I had to get rid of the car (and I loved that car). But the GS 350 is a totally different animal - there are people on club Lexus with 200,000 miles plus with those cars (zero issues). I test drove a used 2014 with 113,000 miles...honest to god it felt like a brand spanking new car. I would have bought it until I checked the Carfax (accident) so I walked. But it felt BRAND NEW.

My 2012 Hyundai Accent with the Gamma G4FD GDI engine has never had issues with oil consumption but fuel dilution and carbon soot contamination in the motor oil are areas of major concern. To date after trying several different brands and viscosities of oil I have found that the engine runs best on synthetic 0w20 and I don't go more than 5000 miles between oil changes. Also it runs best using the Fram Titanium oil filter and this engine has a particular sensitivity to what oil filter is used.

My 2018 Mustang GT has port and direct, but it holds 10 quarts. I wonder if that's the reason (oil dilution)?

Performance Package Car?

I always found it funny that the '14 Track Pack Car speced a 5W-50 with an Oil Cooler where as without the Oil Cooler they speced a 5W-20.

My '14 with 700 bhp gets different oil for different uses. I generally run 5W-30 on the street and 15W-50 on the Track. I have ran 0W-20 (7.9 cSt at 100C) on the Strip.

Performance Package Car?

I always found it funny that the '14 Track Pack Car speced a 5W-50 with an Oil Cooler where as without the Oil Cooler they speced a 5W-20.

My '14 with 700 bhp gets different oil for different uses. I generally run 5W-30 on the street and 15W-50 on the Track. I have ran 0W-20 (7.9 cSt at 100C) on the Strip.
It's just a regular GT Premium. All the 2018+ GTs hold 10 quarts.

So glad that my truck's engine has direct injection for performance, and extra glad it has port injectors to keep things cleaner.

Back