My Impressions about Mobil 1 ATF inside my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, the only reason I began searching for a licensed 3309 synthetic is because of UnDummy's following remark, found in an old thread from last year:

"T-IV isn't a very special oil, and it is used by numerous automakers in AW units. You can dig up a full synth OE equivalent from one of the euro-automakers' ATF PN list, priced like precious metals."[end quote]

Just got back from Walmart. According to the writing on a bottle of SuperTech's Dexron VI ATF, the Dexron VI fluid is "suitable" for not only WS applications, but also T-IV. Now that surprised me.

Good for you (Toyota), bad for me (Volvo).

My interest in this fluid is from the Volvo perspective. For the benefit of others on the board, the fact that a fluid is suitable for Type-IV applications doesn't mean it's suitable for Volvo 3309 applications.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF (and some other fluids) is also suitable for Type-IV applications, but nowhere does it mention that it's okay to use in 3309 or Volvo 1161540 applications. Be careful when doing a double-jump with suitability of application. I almost made that mistake.

I think I'm going to go back to having 100 percent T-IV in the tranny (right now it's a mixture of T-IV and M1). The parts guy at my local Toyota dealership says he sells T-IV for $7/quart. When I mentioned I could buy it in St. Louis for $5 a quart, the parts guy actually volunteered to sell it to me for $5/quart here too.

Anyone know if there's a date code on the T-IV bottles like the Mobil 1 bottles have, and if the date codes are read the same way. After all, ExxonMobil makes both T-IV and M1 ATF.

Last edited:
Here's another possible issue that may or may not be related to the 4 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF that I put into the '06 Camry three weeks ago, making my current fill an even mixture between M1 and T-IV.

When I was moving very slowly, 5 or 10 miles per hour (not sure if I was coasting or if I had my foot on the pedal very lightly), I noticed that when I then tried accelerating a tiny bit, the car would not accelerate. I heard the faster rotating rpm of a high whine but the car did not move faster. So I let off the pedal, and tried again, but the same thing happened. Finally, on third attempt the car accelerated successfully.

Is this called slipping?

Whatever it's called, it happened on the very first day 3 weeks ago when I introduced the M1 ATF, and it happened again yesterday. Both times, I happened to be moving very slowly (5 or 10 mph) on level ground--maybe I was even coasting (can't recall) before I pressed down slightly on the pedal to try to accelerate a bit, but no acceleration happened--just a high-pitched whine indicating faster RPMs.

Last edited:
My Camry does the same thing, even on the factory fill. Its because its in 3rd/4th gear and not in 1st or even 2nd. Very slow to downshift as just about every Toyota is(very sloppy programming). Its actually very common, and unnoticeable until you start 'looking' for it, caused by fluid swap paranoia.

I exchanged the fluid in my neighbors Avalon. Flushed it with T-IV and told him I used 'Maxlife'. He had 2 weeks of non-stop transmission problems until I showed him the recycling bin(12 empty quarts of T-IV and no univeral fluid). His wife never noticed any changes, smooth as always. He said it didn't shift right, it made noises, you used the wrong fluid..... I've done this several times and find that psychological perception makes transmissions shift weird, and not the fluid.

I would do a couple more drain/refills with Mobil1. I doubt a battery disconnect will clear out the adaptive programming, but maybe it'll clear some of the 'user' settings.

You might be right. I'm not saying you're mistaken. As I admitted early on, some of the differences I've noticed could be a result of my imagination. I made this point myself early on :p

However, this is the third issue I've raised since pouring in the M1, which is only "suitable," not licensed for T-IV applications.
I might be willing to accept that 1 or possibly 2 of the 3 issues is coincidental, but I think the jerkier shifting I've noticed isn't coincidental, but directly related to using a non-certified fluid.

I believe AzFireGuy when he says that Amsoil and Redline D4 work great in his Camry. I wish I had tried them before the M1, because just maybe I might have had a better experience. But for now, I've been convinced to return to the smooth, pleasant shifting of T-IV.

I love having synthetic oil in my engine, and love having the 0w-30 in there, even though the engine is spec'd for 5w-30, and back-spec'd for 5w and 0w-20, not Ow-30. But as for transmission fluid, I think I'll be sticking with the OEM-recommended T-IV for now on.

Last edited:
I've been using T-IV in my Vibe's auto trans since the beginning. I've only done 1 drain and fill around 20k. I'm about to do another drain and fill when I change the oil. My 4 speed auto trans is smooth as silk. $20/4 qts for a 3.2 qt drain and fill every 20k miles isn't going to break my wallet.

00279-000T4-01

Go to parts.com and do a Toyota OEM PN search for the above PN and look at the retail vs. discount price.

Too many weird things are happening with this even mixture of T-IV and M1 in the tranz. Today, long after the car was warm, as I was moving in reverse, I heard a semi-loud click or "cuh" midway through the reversing. And it happened about 30 minutes later, too, midway through reverse travel. What could this have been?

There was no shudder in the car or any vibration, just a very audible "click" or "cuh"--it sounded metallic. Never heard any such thing before making my ATF half M1 and half T-IV.

I think I'm gonna do an ATF oil cooler hose flush this coming week or this weekend, and return to a full T-IV tranz.

Last edited:
On a FWD car, clunk is the drivetrain joints like the cv's and soft control arms bushings.

Did you do a battery disconnect yet?

Have you doublechecked the ATF level HOT, on a level surface, in park, while the vehicle is running?

Yeah, but I never heard this metallic "cuh"/click ever in 3.5 years, until the most recent drain and fill with M1. (I can't really call it a "clunk.") Today I heard the "cuh" twice, both times when traveling in reverse--midway through reverse travel. Today was the first instance of the "cuh."

I have also heard a couple "thuds" in the last 3 weeks since the drain and fill. Never had heard a thud before either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Did you do a battery disconnect yet?

Have you doublechecked the ATF level HOT, on a level surface, in park, while the vehicle is running?

Oops, forgot to answer your other questions. No, I haven't done a battery disconnect--don't wanna do that because I don't have enough information about that procedure (like what it's suppose to do, and what other things it might affect). Also, earlier you stated, that you "doubt a battery disconnect will clear out the adaptive programming."

Yes, I've checked the ATF level numerous times while it's hot, on a level surface, in park, with the vehicle still running, after moving the shift selector through all positions. The ATF level is fine. No leaking is happening.

I hope there's a date code on the new bottles of T-IV I get from the dealership. Anyone know if the code is read just like the date code on the M1 bottles, since both M1 and T-IV are made by ExxonMobil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back