My imagination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Maxima with 52K on it. At my last oil change about 3 K ago I used PP 5W30 and a Pure One for the first time. Previously I used a good Dino and filter. My MPG seems to have increased a few MPG to the point I am getting consistently 30 MPG on long highway trips.

A few mpg is your imagination... .5 to maybe 1 mpg better is more realistic. What's the level on the dipstick? I've heard running the oil down closer to the low mark might help abit too.
Just by driving a bit slower you can raise mpg significantly so maybe you are doing that too? Anyways, enjoy the better mileage!
Ian

Sounds great! Did you increase tire pressure? It could also be the change of season, and possibly the change in the fuel blend since the winter is now over?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
A few mpg is your imagination... .5 to maybe 1 mpg better is more realistic. What's the level on the dipstick? I've heard running the oil down closer to the low mark might help abit too.
Just by driving a bit slower you can raise mpg significantly so maybe you are doing that too? Anyways, enjoy the better mileage!
Ian

^^Yeah. It's more ambient temperature related than oil weighted...

PP is an excellent oil, and you might get some more mpg's out of it, but nothing that dramatic...

Last edited:
Many will deny this, but it happened to me also. Switched to Q Horsepower recently from Mobil Clean 5000 (Always PureOne filters). I do the exact same trip from Ohio to Canada every 2 weeks. 200 miles, cruise control set at 69mph and 74mph depending on posted speed limit. I use to average 25-26mpg on dino (last 4 trips on dino), now it's been about 27-29mpg with the synthetic (last 4 trips).

Actually experimented with this. All trips had windows up, heat on the exact same setting, outside temps comparable, tire pressure always checked. Wind speeds/direction were also always fairly similar. Filled up before every trip at the exact same gas station (odometer reset to 0), and refilled at the border. Avg mpg's figured out by distance travelled divided by gallons needed to fill to full again (Car has a readout also. It's not as accurate, but also shows improvement)

And, I actually noticed.. On Dino, to maintain 69mph, the engine revved at about 2600 RPMs. On Synth, at 69mph, engine revs at just above 2500 RPMs.

.. Can't be imagining all that!
P.S. 2.7LV6 Sebring

Originally Posted By: BigNick

And, I actually noticed.. On Dino, to maintain 69mph, the engine revved at about 2600 RPMs. On Synth, at 69mph, engine revs at just above 2500 RPMs.

This part is completely impossible. Different oil does not change your gearing lol.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

This part is completely impossible. Different oil does not change your gearing lol.

You just don't believe strongly enough.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

haha ...YOU explain it then! I use my gps for speed monitoring, so it's consistent. It really revs about 50-75RPMs less on synth than on dino.

....You notice a lot on the same 3.5 hour boring drive!

And I don't think this is completely impossible... Many have seen the dino vs synth test on the dynos showing increased horsepower... And if I'm not mistaken, horsepower plays a role in "speed maintenance"...

Last edited:
I believe it. While I have had comments from people telling me that it was impossible to achieve that dramatic mpg increase. I have done it. I too used dino oil from the dealer. Once I start using synthetic oil, I too got an increase in mpg. Like 2 to 3 mpg increase. Factor in shell gas. upper cylinder lubricants like lucas or mmo, and I increased mpg up 4 I believe it. The rpms, well I haven't really paid attention to that, but I will have to check that out.

Originally Posted By: harthamm
I have a 2005 Maxima with 52K on it. At my last oil change about 3 K ago I used PP 5W30 and a Pure One for the first time. Previously I used a good Dino and filter. My MPG seems to have increased a few MPG to the point I am getting consistently 30 MPG on long highway trips.

So long as you took accurate before and after MPG measurements, there is no technical reason to doubt your experience.

I don't know if you changed viscosities when going from conventional to synthetic, but viscosity labeling is not an exact science (as some would have you believe), and there are other factors besides viscosity that can affect MPG.

I have used pennz plat 5w20 before. And now I am using Castrol Edge 5w30. I don't see anymore of a gain using 5w20 syntetic versus 5w30 synthetic.

My tire pressures were the same. The road was the same ( I-95). The MPG were calculated by total miles / gallons and actually correlated very well with the onboard estimate.
I have used a variety of different gas types ( 87 and 89) but really no different than previous.

I DO believe that a different oil in the sump can have an impact on fuel efficiency (hello, CAFE, 5w-20, etc.). I hate to think that there's no reasoning behind the push towards thinner oils.

OTOH, I have a hard time believing different RPM at the same speed in the same gear... unless maybe you've got some funky direct-drive Vs. overdrive gear setup or a CVT.

crackmeup2.gif

i dont think ive ever been that specific with my rate of speed. usually im like 'within 15mph of the speed limit.' are the oinkies insane in ohio?

maybe its your cruise control. i notice i get better mpg if i don't use it.

Like I said before... you get really bored on the same 3.5 hour drive biweekly and notice a lot of things! I drive 4mph over the speed limit because there are A LOT Of cops on the Ohio Turnpike when I'm traveling on it. Been gunned before, never pulled over for 4 over.

It's funny how people straight out laugh at other people's comments on here. Some things ARE possible even though you can't fully explain them. The increase in MPG must also just be a figment of my imagination, even with all the variables mentioned before being so similar.

maybe its a combination of the cruise control and the torque converter lockup. it's not impossible. a lighter-weight oil + a synthetic will affect gas mileage, albeit slightly.

Well, the gear ratio of your transmission changing because you changed your engine oil isn't one of those things. I believe that is why people are laughing.

It is more likely a variance in the tach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back