My Hyundai story with pictures and basic maintenance history..

So this will be a little long, and it might be too much Hyundai love for some, but here we have it!. This is my 15+ years in the making Hyundai story. :ROFLMAO:

i've had a Hyundai (or two) at any giving time. There was a time/extremely rough patch were every 9 months to a year with the deer in upstate and back roads, (plus a tree) that totaled not 1 not 2, but 4 different Hyundai's out!. The higher power did not want me in a Hyundai around years 15-18 But i keep at it! The list goes something like this, and time frames may not be exact but everything is close enough going off of memory.

Started out with a 2002 Elantra and a 2005 3.5L XG350L. I traded both on these cars in around 2010 and from 2010-2015 owned a few old buicks/oldsmobiles/saturn sl2/taurus/SE-R nissan, and was missing the Hyundai's.. So i went on the look for a turbo Hyundai and found a KIA Optima Turbo SXL in 2015 as a 13. Drove it for about a year until a deer took out the whole left side.. traded it for a 2015 Sonata Limited 2.0L Turbo now 2016, 6 months later totaled out because of another deer. Got a great deal on a yet another 2015 Limited 2.4L non turbo. one year later another deer now its about 17 ish. Decided i was losing too much money on total loses, and wanted to go "cheaper" if this was going to keep up., Found a 13 SE Sonata with about 40K miles on it. Bought it but a tree fell on it 6 months later!. Now we are in mid 2018, and i found yet again, a totally MINT elderly owner garage queen. It was a 2013 Sonata with only about 1,945 miles on it.... ( under 2K miles) in late 2018 ish... At this point. bought it on the spot, and here we are today!, It has 55K miles on it currently. I only replaced tires twice, brake upgrade(drilled and slotted with ceramic brake pads), NGK iridium sparkplugs, Engine oil/transmission fluid/brake fluid and coolant flushes. Also replaced the cabin air filter, and engine air filter. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic, and a factory OEM filter every 6K miles.. It gets 93 ethanol free fuel. The Sonata has been rock solid reliable and average of 34 MPG under normal driving. the 2.4L has giving me no issues, and does not burn or leak. The transmission with the fluid changes is also fast, smooth, and reliable. It engages fast, shifts smooth and it's always eager and ready to be in the right gear with any jab on the throttle. While the 13 is not as nice as the newer limited and turbo models ive had, but I actually appreciate the basic layout now. to note, its a NY car, but it has zero rust. even the exhaust is factory new clean with stickers, and paint pen marks on the bolts. I do car wash often esp during winter, so its paying off. To note, the 2011-2015 2.4L and 2.0L turbo engines "can" be troublesome, but ive had a few different years sonatas with the 2.4L and 2.0L turbo engines, and never had engine trouble with any of them.

That brings me to the 2.0L Elantra now.... its a 2009 GLS/SE "fully loaded" - no leather and for some reason, did not come with rims but hubcaps that i replaced instantly but it had every other option. It has 117K miles, and has also not giving me one ounce of issues. I did a lot of maintenance when I bought it and it's been a great car since the first day even before all the maintenance. (it was sitting for probably 15 + months, in a field and under 5 feet or more of snow the whole winter, jumped the battery, and drove it away! I just wanted to get up to "perfection". The parts list for the Elantra goes something like this. Drilled and slotted brake rotors and ceramic pads, Brake fluid flush, all swaybar links, tires, synthetic engine oil and OEM filter, synthetic transmission fluid 3 x 3 method, new front exhaust flex pipe, OEM 02 sensor, AEM lifetime dryflow engine air filter, NGK iridium sparkplugs, 4 premium spark plug wires, MAF/MAP sensor cleaned, cabin air filter, LED license plate light, LED interior light, new factory OEM radio (cold solder issue) For being a 10+ years old NY car, it has zero rust. The undercarriage looks factory new, the exhaust is still silver and has stickers on the suspension/ and other parts of the sub frame. It also does not leak or burn a drop. I average around 30 MPG, because its a 4 speed with OD automatic. The Sonata has more power, weight, 6 speed auto, and is nicer to drive, plus gets 34 mpg, but the Elantra is using older tech. (maybe more reliable in the long run who knows)
The timing belt and all accessories were changed out in 2018 ish, right before it was parked in the field.

On both of these Hyundais, they are on factory engines, transmissions, suspensions, CV axles, wheel bearings, exhaust, paint, Pictures are most recent, 2021/22. They also pass inspection every year without issues, and on both of these Hyundais, i have never gotten one error code, or light on the dash. All interior electronics on both are also original, and have never been worked on minus the Elantras radio that i swapped out in 15 mins.

That's a quick recap of my Hyundai story, and while not everyones cup of tea... These Hyundais IMHO are just as good as the top 3. (they just total out after any real accident or because of part availability and expenses on labor i assume.) but its that way with any car now. Yeah i also know they are "low mileage" esp the Sonata but time does not stop, and they are now "old" lol, and have proven to be %100 reliable. Not one of the Hyundais have EVER been on a tow truck because of a "break down". And this is since 2004, and a ton of different years, and models.

Picture time! Ive posted a picture here and there on this forum of the Hyundai's, but i will post them here.

IMG_0085.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2138.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_1038.jpeg

And the Elantra...
IMG_1920.jpeg
IMG_1923.jpeg
Engine after.jpeg
This is what the Elantra looked like after just a power wash, no soap and a year plus of sitting in the field. It did not even come with a check engine light!, and to this day am using the same OEM Hyundai battery!. It just started the car in -5 degree temps yesterday and it fired up like it was 75 out. It also passed NY inspection the very next day after purchase and after i put a few miles on it!.... The shop said it passed "with flying colors" and that was using year plus old gas, oil, and i still had to wear the rust off the brakes!.. to this day, knock on wood, but the Check engine light never lit up!. (it works lol) piston slap that some might remember went 95% away after i changed out to OEM oil filter and M1 HM 5W30.

IMG_1510 (1).jpeg

Feel free to post a picture of your Hyundai, a story, positive, (or negative) history with it!, a memory, anything. That's all folks.

I'm glad you have had good experiences with yours.
I know not everyone has had a “problem free” ownership with Hyundai or dealers. I’ll be honest the Hyundais do not go to the dealership unless for software updates or safety recalls. I do absolutely everything else with them though. ( and keep meticulous records pictures receipts everything….. just in case.)They are in my mind a pleasure to work on when needed and you don’t need 50 different specialty tools.

I've owned a handful of Hyundai/Kia vehicles and they have been pretty good. We had a 2001 Accent, 2004 Elantra, 2005 Optima, 2016 Elantra, 2015 Santa Fe Sport, and my wife currently has a 2021 Forte. All in total we replaced a wiper motor, a window motor, 2 sets of struts, 2 oxygen sensors, and a valve cover gasket. Other than that we just replaced brakes and did oil and fluid changes. The earlier ones did require timing belt changes as PM but the cost wasn't too bad.

Last edited:
That was a great generation Elantra. I loved mine. Mine was an SE also but it didn’t have the badge. I bought it new with 9 miles on it and most of that was my test drive. It had the alloy wheels and a temperature gauge, not sure why they stopped putting that in the 09 and 10s. She was one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned.

12E8E01C-5C7A-47FA-B2E7-C1C57F18959F.jpeg

That was a great generation Elantra. I loved mine. Mine was an SE also but it didn’t have the badge. I bought it new with 9 miles on it and most of that was my test drive. It had the alloy wheels and a temperature gauge, not sure why they stopped putting that in the 09 and 10s. She was one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned.

View attachment 85366
Ah yes! the temp gauge!! The Elantra has a massive gas gauge instead, but does have the full trip computer with AVG speed, range, MPG, and a cool eco mode light that goes on and off depending on throttle input, haha so its a wash.. Here is a perfect picture of the cluster on a thruway merge. Yeah with the colder weather, warm ups, only getting around 26.5 mpg currently, but have manually calculated it along with the trip computer read out a solid 30+ MPG during the summer with AC. Even got up to about 34+ a few times.
About the 2.0L elantras engine, its "almost" honda smooth, and has been just as reliable. It is a high revving small DOHC 4 banger engine with adjustable valve timing, and to make any power 4-5K shifts is the norm, and by the book 6K is max HP (non CA) and max tq comes in a little lower at almost 5K.
In comparison - the Sonata feels like a rocket without having to rev it out, and with 2 extra gears it just feels much nicer to drive, while getting better mpg, and better acceleration when needed, but i absolutely love the elantra because it has just a little more character ;) The Sonata feels more "computer" if that makes any sense, while the elantra feels more analog.
IMG_0127.jpeg
IMG_1783.jpeg

Ah yes! the temp gauge!! The Elantra has a massive gas gauge instead, but does have the full trip computer with AVG speed, range, MPG, and a cool eco mode light that goes on and off depending on throttle input, haha so its a wash.. Here is a perfect picture of the cluster on a thruway merge. Yeah with the colder weather, warm ups, only getting around 26.5 mpg currently, but have manually calculated it along with the trip computer read out a solid 30+ MPG during the summer with AC. Even got up to about 34+ a few times.
About the 2.0L elantras engine, its "almost" honda smooth, and has been just as reliable. It is a high revving small DOHC 4 banger engine with adjustable valve timing, and to make any power 4-5K shifts is the norm, and by the book 6K is max HP (non CA) and max tq comes in a little lower at almost 5K.
In comparison - the Sonata feels like a rocket without having to rev it out, and with 2 extra gears it just feels much nicer to drive, while getting better mpg, and better acceleration when needed, but i absolutely love the elantra because it has just a little more character ;) The Sonata feels more "computer" if that makes any sense, while the elantra feels more analog.
View attachment 85387View attachment 85389
The 2.0L Beta II was my favorite 4cyl Hyundai engine. Very solid and reliable. Not the greatest gas mileage though, I averaged about the same as you.

Here’s my instrument cluster, I didn’t take too many pictures, unfortunately, and this was all I could find.

D8D1BCC4-0CB4-497C-9CB9-B5BF554E6735.jpeg

1A3B262E-80CA-476E-9D03-E74F22D45959.jpeg

I loved my 2011 Kia Forte Koup SX. Kinda wish I didn’t get rid of it…

View attachment 85458
Wow we could be brothers! Just picked this up, its manual with the 2.4L. in the SX trim. And now looking at your picture can see the kia is lowered, i also confirmed it has all new performance suspension - that i did not know until i was power washing the undercarriage yesterday and see the like new beautiful colored suspension with no rust and bolts that still have a gloss to them! It rides FIRM, but is very confidence inspiring and the chassis is very talkative. The steering is pinpoint accurate and I guess that's because of the suspension? I really thought kia made this SX this low and firm from the factory lol oops. :unsure: Either way i am satisfied with how the car handles, accelerates, shifts, sounds all the good stuff. Just need to do some maintenance work - synthetic fluid changes for peace of mind but otherwise mechanically I don't see any issues.

IMG_0210.jpeg

Wow we could be brothers! Just picked this up, its manual with the 2.4L. in the SX trim. And now looking at your picture can see the kia is lowered, i also confirmed it has all new performance suspension - that i did not know until i was power washing the undercarriage yesterday and see the like new beautiful colored suspension with no rust and bolts that still have a gloss to them! It rides FIRM, but is very confidence inspiring and the chassis is very talkative. The steering is pinpoint accurate and I guess that's because of the suspension? I really thought kia made this SX this low and firm from the factory lol oops. :unsure: Either way i am satisfied with how the car handles, accelerates, shifts, sounds all the good stuff. Just need to do some maintenance work - synthetic fluid changes for peace of mind but otherwise mechanically I don't see any issues.

View attachment 86298
Even with stock suspension it was an absolute blast to drive! Allegedly a few cloverleafs and twisty roads were taken at “sir, please step out the vehicle and put your hands behind your back” speeds lol.

So far so good for my 2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6T AWD with 30,000 miles. She's been thrashed, but well taken cared for. A lot of parts have been replaced to my liking. A new dual clutch will be needed semi soon as it is showing some very very slight signs of giving up the ghost.

IMG_9875.jpg

Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, Wagner Veloster N racing intercooler, AeroTech spring rubbers, lowered 2 inches, sub-frame collars, Whiteline i30 N semi ball front anti-dive bushings (pinned for safety), (Pinned) Veloster N rear swing arm bushings, Whiteline Hyundai Multi-Link rear poly bushings and Whiteline rear camber arms, Whiteline rear aluminum toe arms, front camber bolts, 1.5 neg camber on all 4s. N-Line lower trans mount with both rubber voids filled with epoxy clay. Frozen Rotors/Slotted, PowerStop Z23 brake pads. Ultra Racing strut brace that I reinforced by about 30%. Front ARP wheel studs, front 12mm wheel spacers, Wink 5 panel racing mirror, Lightweight 12.5 lbs AGM battery for spring/summer/fall. Soon to be installed Whiteline Front Roll Center/Bump Steer-Correction Kit.
2017 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport front seats. Schroth 3 point, anti-dive, DOT approved racing harness
Audio Frog speakers, Alpine amp, AudioControl LC7i

My Hyundai Accent has been a very good car and it's fun to drive with a very organic feel to it. I'm keeping it till rod knock do us part, provided some idiot doesn't total it. It's currently getting its third set of front struts and sway bar links, the only repairs it needs constantly is suspension parts due to the horrific roads here in Mass.

So this will be a little long, and it might be too much Hyundai love for some, but here we have it!. This is my 15+ years in the making Hyundai story. :ROFLMAO:

i've had a Hyundai (or two) at any giving time. There was a time/extremely rough patch were every 9 months to a year with the deer in upstate and back roads, (plus a tree) that totaled not 1 not 2, but 4 different Hyundai's out!. The higher power did not want me in a Hyundai around years 15-18 But i keep at it! The list goes something like this, and time frames may not be exact but everything is close enough going off of memory.

Started out with a 2002 Elantra and a 2005 3.5L XG350L. I traded both on these cars in around 2010 and from 2010-2015 owned a few old buicks/oldsmobiles/saturn sl2/taurus/SE-R nissan, and was missing the Hyundai's.. So i went on the look for a turbo Hyundai and found a KIA Optima Turbo SXL in 2015 as a 13. Drove it for about a year until a deer took out the whole left side.. traded it for a 2015 Sonata Limited 2.0L Turbo now 2016, 6 months later totaled out because of another deer. Got a great deal on a yet another 2015 Limited 2.4L non turbo. one year later another deer now its about 17 ish. Decided i was losing too much money on total loses, and wanted to go "cheaper" if this was going to keep up., Found a 13 SE Sonata with about 40K miles on it. Bought it but a tree fell on it 6 months later!. Now we are in mid 2018, and i found yet again, a totally MINT elderly owner garage queen. It was a 2013 Sonata with only about 1,945 miles on it.... ( under 2K miles) in late 2018 ish... At this point. bought it on the spot, and here we are today!, It has 55K miles on it currently. I only replaced tires twice, brake upgrade(drilled and slotted with ceramic brake pads), NGK iridium sparkplugs, Engine oil/transmission fluid/brake fluid and coolant flushes. Also replaced the cabin air filter, and engine air filter. I use Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic, and a factory OEM filter every 6K miles.. It gets 93 ethanol free fuel. The Sonata has been rock solid reliable and average of 34 MPG under normal driving. the 2.4L has giving me no issues, and does not burn or leak. The transmission with the fluid changes is also fast, smooth, and reliable. It engages fast, shifts smooth and it's always eager and ready to be in the right gear with any jab on the throttle. While the 13 is not as nice as the newer limited and turbo models ive had, but I actually appreciate the basic layout now. to note, its a NY car, but it has zero rust. even the exhaust is factory new clean with stickers, and paint pen marks on the bolts. I do car wash often esp during winter, so its paying off. To note, the 2011-2015 2.4L and 2.0L turbo engines "can" be troublesome, but ive had a few different years sonatas with the 2.4L and 2.0L turbo engines, and never had engine trouble with any of them.

That brings me to the 2.0L Elantra now.... its a 2009 GLS/SE "fully loaded" - no leather and for some reason, did not come with rims but hubcaps that i replaced instantly but it had every other option. It has 117K miles, and has also not giving me one ounce of issues. I did a lot of maintenance when I bought it and it's been a great car since the first day even before all the maintenance. (it was sitting for probably 15 + months, in a field and under 5 feet or more of snow the whole winter, jumped the battery, and drove it away! I just wanted to get up to "perfection". The parts list for the Elantra goes something like this. Drilled and slotted brake rotors and ceramic pads, Brake fluid flush, all swaybar links, tires, synthetic engine oil and OEM filter, synthetic transmission fluid 3 x 3 method, new front exhaust flex pipe, OEM 02 sensor, AEM lifetime dryflow engine air filter, NGK iridium sparkplugs, 4 premium spark plug wires, MAF/MAP sensor cleaned, cabin air filter, LED license plate light, LED interior light, new factory OEM radio (cold solder issue) For being a 10+ years old NY car, it has zero rust. The undercarriage looks factory new, the exhaust is still silver and has stickers on the suspension/ and other parts of the sub frame. It also does not leak or burn a drop. I average around 30 MPG, because its a 4 speed with OD automatic. The Sonata has more power, weight, 6 speed auto, and is nicer to drive, plus gets 34 mpg, but the Elantra is using older tech. (maybe more reliable in the long run who knows)
The timing belt and all accessories were changed out in 2018 ish, right before it was parked in the field.

On both of these Hyundais, they are on factory engines, transmissions, suspensions, CV axles, wheel bearings, exhaust, paint, Pictures are most recent, 2021/22. They also pass inspection every year without issues, and on both of these Hyundais, i have never gotten one error code, or light on the dash. All interior electronics on both are also original, and have never been worked on minus the Elantras radio that i swapped out in 15 mins.

That's a quick recap of my Hyundai story, and while not everyones cup of tea... These Hyundais IMHO are just as good as the top 3. (they just total out after any real accident or because of part availability and expenses on labor i assume.) but its that way with any car now. Yeah i also know they are "low mileage" esp the Sonata but time does not stop, and they are now "old" lol, and have proven to be %100 reliable. Not one of the Hyundais have EVER been on a tow truck because of a "break down". And this is since 2004, and a ton of different years, and models.

Picture time! Ive posted a picture here and there on this forum of the Hyundai's, but i will post them here.

View attachment 85350View attachment 85351View attachment 85352View attachment 85353View attachment 85354View attachment 85356
And the Elantra...
View attachment 85358View attachment 85359View attachment 85355This is what the Elantra looked like after just a power wash, no soap and a year plus of sitting in the field. It did not even come with a check engine light!, and to this day am using the same OEM Hyundai battery!. It just started the car in -5 degree temps yesterday and it fired up like it was 75 out. It also passed NY inspection the very next day after purchase and after i put a few miles on it!.... The shop said it passed "with flying colors" and that was using year plus old gas, oil, and i still had to wear the rust off the brakes!.. to this day, knock on wood, but the Check engine light never lit up!. (it works lol) piston slap that some might remember went 95% away after i changed out to OEM oil filter and M1 HM 5W30.

View attachment 85357

Feel free to post a picture of your Hyundai, a story, positive, (or negative) history with it!, a memory, anything. That's all folks.
Excellent.. two beautiful rides. They're sharp looking cars and best of all their reliability. Sometimes I wish I kept my 08 sonata

Why do we black out the license plates? Just wondering. Aren’t they out there for every motorist to see all the time anyway? Just an idle question.
That's a good point, considering you can't get someone's info off a license plate. Unless you work for that state's DMV or an insurance company, and even then, it's illegal if you do it for the wrong reasons.

Back