My hand smells of men’s cologne and women’s perfume after pumping gasoline

Yep. Gas station bathrooms smell worse than gas on your hands.

I once walked into a restroom at a RaceTrac and had to immediately walk out due to the smell.

I just ordered a box of XL gloves cause I fill up both of our vehicles so she doesn’t have to bother.

At one of the gas stations that I frequent everyday not necessarily to get gas but to buy stuff. They have gloves at every pump for you to use I try to use them if I remember. But I have noticed that same smell too I actually don’t mind it lol.

EVERYONE should be considerate enough to modulate their use of perfumes.

Better perfume than rampant B/O. One guy at work bathed on Saturday night (apparently) to be spiffy for church. A guy in my department was grossly overweight, and it gets hot here, a recipe for unpleasant odors. H/R afraid to deal with it. Reminds me why I'm glad I hung it up.

AM if you're buying stuff at a convenience story every day you're wasting money. Buy your food and snacks at the grocery store and you'll save enough to buy another 20 year old car.(y)

Been wearing gloves for quite a while when pumping Gas as you can't tell where the person before you was putting their fingers.

In my town, we had a guy who had a service and he would literally "steam clean" public restrooms. He had a Dodge van with steam cleaner and double coil hose on the back. I am not sure exactly of the whole process that he used but the big steam clean wand was from old drive through car wash where it was used to clean white walls and wheel covers. This was in the day before chemicals were used to do that sort of thing.

He made a great living at it and all of the gas stations that had outside entry restrooms were spotless after he visited. He had stickers that were placed on the doors telling everyone that the rest room surfaces and been professionally "steam cleaned and sanitized".

I started carrying a container of handy-wipes in my vehicles long before 'the pathogen which shall not be mentioned' made it cool to do so for just these occasions...along with after using the shopping cart in the store or whenever I feel the need to clean my hands.

How do I explain to my wife why I smell of Taylor Swift perfume .... ?

:unsure:

You mean she isn't buying that it is from the gas station?

Since you asked - this has never happened to me. Of course I have no idea what Taylor Swift perfume smells like but I never leave the gas station smelling like anything but gas, oil or hand sanitizer...

You mean she isn't buying that it is from the gas station?

Since you asked - this has never happened to me. Of course I have no idea what Taylor Swift perfume smells like but I never leave the gas station smelling like anything but gas, oil or hand sanitizer...

No.

When I pump diesel I always wear gloves. For gas if I need to I use the hand sanitizer at the pump.

I guess if you got an EV you wouldn’t have to worry about it. 🤣

Just my $0.02

I've only seen paper towels at manned stations and then only rarely. So rare it is that I haven't looked for them in decades.

What I've seen more lately (ahem, early 2019 and earlier) are cheap clear plastic "gloves" which resemble Michigan's Lower Peninsula at diesel pumps.

I absolutely hate pumping gasoline and my hand reeks of men’s cologne and women’s perfume from gas pump handle.

:sick:

Sometimes my hand smells like Brut 33.... sometimes my hand smells like Cotton Candy from Taylor Swift perfume.

How often does this happen to you ?
Maybe I need to buy a Tesla and avoid this terrible problem ?

Don't sniff your hands after pumping gas. Use hand sanitizer afterwards. I still carry a small bottle with me in my pockets, just a tad under 2 oz and it lasts for a week or two before I have to refill it. Haven't gotten the cold/flu since I started.

I don’t sniff my hand, the previous person had so much fragrance on their hand that now I can smell it when I’m driving.

Back