My hand built motorized bike

So this is something I have never posted about but this is my weekend cruiser lol it's a hand built motorized bicycle with a 66CC ish two-stroke, nothing special but it is fun. Goes about 35 mph flat out, but I'm usually cruising around 20-25. Its a blast, and TBH has been pretty reliable, currently mileage reads about 350 miles since this build in the spring/early summer.. It has a couple "go fast" parts like the upgraded carb, and higher compression head, and name brand C clips. I use name brand synthetic two stroke oil and 93 ethanol free fuel, with a hit of MMO of course. Any one else built one of these?

IMG_1216.jpeg
IMG_1217.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg
IMG_1219.jpeg
IMG_1220.jpeg
IMG_1221.jpeg
IMG_1183.jpeg
IMG_1184.jpeg

You're not concerned about bearing failure in either of the wheels? I mean I guess road bikes can frequent that speed but that's not a road bike. 😁

You're not concerned about bearing failure in either of the wheels? I mean I guess road bikes can frequent that speed but that's not a road bike. 😁
The bike does not look like much but it's a high-quality made bike. I have over 1000 miles on the frame, wheel bearing, and even the rims!. I built this bike twice lol. The first motor lasted 750 miles before C clip failure.

What do you think is different about mountain bike hubs? Nothing. I'd be a little concerned about the collapsed fork. Those Rockshox Quadra forks have an elastomer spring that by now is a gummy mess. I think they had around 2" of travel and you're not getting much of that.

OP, when you say hand built do you mean you pieced/fabbed it together or was it a kit?

What do you think is different about mountain bike hubs? Nothing. I'd be a little concerned about the collapsed fork. Those Rockshox Quadra forks have an elastomer spring that by now is a gummy mess. I think they had around 2" of travel and you're not getting much of that.

OP, when you say hand built do you mean you pieced/fabbed it together or was it a kit?
I don't think as much as I wonder - hardness of the bearings, races and hubs along with tolerances. But I wasn't there.

Sweet! Bet she gets hit around the legs. That Quadrashock brings back memories. I had a rigid Giant Iguana I bought in 1991 or 1992 when I was 10 with my lawn mowing money. Then the next nine was a Schwinn with a Rock Shox Judy XC that I converted to coil springs. Never had an engine though.

I built one of these back in 2008, still have it. Was inspired by Pablo on this BBS.

I used a stiff fork MTB. Cruises at 22 mph, tops out at 29. Looks like you and I have the same rear sprocket.

Motorcycles have lead shot in the handlebars, most of them, and have frames and motor mounts tuned to absorb vibration. My bike has none of that and my hands go numb in ~5 minutes.

My state lest me ride if on the road without lights, registration, insurance, excise tax, inspection, title, or helmet! I do need some sort of driver's license/ permit. It's a great way to die though because oncoming left-turning cars don't expect it to be going 30. Cars coming up from behind, I don't perceive, as I can't hear them over my own droning noise and don't have any rear view mirrors. My rim brakes are meant for stopping pedal power... Like a Prius, I can hit the kill switch when slowing for intersections. Pedal to get moving then pop the clutch and the motor takes over.

The killer app on mine is I can put a bike rack on a car that I take to the mechanic, unload this thing, and buzz home and back without bugging my wife for a ride. And without any annual fees it can sit in my woodshed until I need it.

Reminds me of this...

I have been an organizer, judge, mentor, etc...tons of fun to watch budding university engineering students build fun toys! One rule we often dock them on is if the brakes can hold the full force of the accumulator and pedaling force at a stand still. So...are your brakes up to the task?

Reminds me of this...

I have been an organizer, judge, mentor, etc...tons of fun to watch budding university engineering students build fun toys! One rule we often dock them on is if the brakes can hold the full force of the accumulator and pedaling force at a stand still. So...are your brakes up to the task?
That must be weird to ride... when I ride a bike I expect a certain resistance to the pedal *and* a resultant forward motion. Having a torque converter experience in the mix would throw me off balance.

That must be weird to ride... when I ride a bike I expect a certain resistance to the pedal *and* a resultant forward motion. Having a torque converter experience in the mix would throw me off balance.

A well implemented positive displacement pump and motor system is usually over 95% volumetrically efficient, which should give you more of a gear set feeling...again, if it is well implemented ;-)

Back