My Grandpa REFUSES to own ANY Toyotas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
..because of Japan bombing Perl Harbor, and killing all those people, it also took 8 months of his freedom away in the service preparing to fight in the Pacific.

He says people his age can't drive them, because of the war.

How can I convince him that Toyotas are as American as GM Impalas? He is open minded.

Surely grandpa knows the Japanese cars of today are not designed or built by the same people who were involved in WW2. So he's a sins-of-the-fathers believer, which is a radical position and the opposite of open-minded. I'm not one to usually quote the Bible, but I happen to agree with what is written in Deuteronomy: " Everyone shall be put to death for his own sin." In Ezekiel is written, "The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity."

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You would have to be from his generation to understand.

+1

Much different time....

My grandfather served in the Pacific. Until the day he died he always drove Ford trucks and Jag's, only ever bought one Mercedes SL and proceeded to park it in his garage...the car was 2 years old when he sold it with...just under 3k on it...

Didn't like Axis cars.

Last edited:
Good thing he didn't fight in the Spanish-American war considering all the "domestics" made in Mexico these days.

Why are you trying to convince him to buy a Toyota? Just because you're partial to them doesn't mean everyone needs to own one. I'd probably feel the same if they drug me into a war I didn't want to be in. Plenty of other fine cars out there. Enjoy your time with Grandpa instead of trying to make him think like you do.

You can't convince him to change. I used the same evidence to convince my grandmother to convince her not to buy a Chrysler T&C van.

She also said the name of the car had to be American. When she bought her 2003 Chrysler T&C, Benz owned Chrysler, but that didn't matter to her. I can somewhat see her point, there are car models I am attracted to because of their name.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I wouldnt drive a toyota either. Not a war thing but more a ugly boring car thing!

I grew up hearing from my grandparents to never buy a Japanese car due to Pearl Harbor. I still have very little interest in them mostly because they don't make anything I want, except the Nissan GTR.

I am 78 years old. I can remember WWII. The Japanese got us at Pearl Harbor, but we got our revenge many times over before the war was over. We burned down almost every city in Japan, and Killed more Japanese in one particular B-29 raid on Tokyo than we lost in the whole war, including our losses against Germany.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I am 78 years old. I can remember WWII. The Japanese got us at Pearl Harbor, but we got our revenge many times over before the war was over. We burned down almost every city in Japan, and Killed more Japanese in one particular B-29 raid on Tokyo than we lost in the whole war, including our losses against Germany.

True.... but you could say they brought it upon themselves.

Let him buy what he wants, it's his car. This whole debate about American cars being less American because they have a couple plants in Mexico is insane - the Mexican people buy American cars. How many GM and Fords do you see on the streets of Tokyo?

Besides GM and Ford have very few plants in Mexico, a huge majority are in the US. My GM was built in Michigan.
34.gif

Your Grandfather has something that countless Americans don't anymore.......PRIDE. I agree with your Grandfather. God bless him.

My Tundra was built in Evansville, Indiana. Last I checked, nobody from Evansville bombed Pearl Harbor.

That being said, 70 or so years from now, I doubt I'd have any interest in an Al-Qaeda-built automobile. Even if my grandchildren liked them.

I hate Toyotas because they drive like little buzz bombs. The rental place close to me switched over at some point and I told them I wasn't happy. They have to scramble to find me an Expedition.

I feel so much safer and comfortable in a full size American auto or big SUV.

I still have problems with the Japanese.

1. They're killing whales for no good reason.
2. They mass slaughter dolphins because dolphins eat their fish catch.
3. What else don't we know about????
4. I feel they handled Fukushima incident poorly and poisoned half the planet.

Toyota has a 60 Billion cash pile. With all due respect-Toyota doesn't need any money from any of you that have ill feelings toward Japan.!

Last edited:
He is open minded?? Let him buy whatever he wants.
I would not want to buy anything made outside of Japan but I am constrained by the reality.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I hate Toyotas because they drive like little buzz bombs. The rental place close to me switched over at some point and I told them I wasn't happy. They have to scramble to find me an Expedition.

I feel so much safer and comfortable in a full size American auto or big SUV.

I still have problems with the Japanese.

1. They're killing whales for no good reason.
2. They mass slaughter dolphins because dolphins eat their fish catch.
3. What else don't we know about????
4. I feel they handled Fukushima incident poorly and poisoned half the planet.

Small cars are for small people, big cars are for big people and Americans are big, very big.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Good thing he didn't fight in the Spanish-American war considering all the "domestics" made in Mexico these days.

You do realize that Spain and Mexico are two completely different countries, right. In fact they aren't particularly fond of each other.

Back to the topic at hand. My dad wouldn't buy a foreign car either. After driving a few of my "imports" he got curious and went and test drove a Tundra. Hasn't driven anything but a toyota for the last 14 years; my mom either. If your grandfather is dead set against it, well then its his choice. Plenty of good American vehicles out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back