My Grandmas FEDDERS finally died. :(

Mom & Dad had a Fedders window unit. What a brand it was.

We have some of the last of the really good Kenmore & Whirlpool appliances. One of the new ones is a Whirlpool washer, assembled in USA, but parts all made in China. Water pump went out after 3 years - using filtered and soft water. Chinese. Our original Whirlpool Washer lasted 13 years.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Those old Kenmore appliances would last forever. There was a company in Cincinnati that made whole house AC units so well that they went out of business because they never needed replacement. There's a 30+ yr. old ac still running across the street from me in SW FL. Nothing lasts like that in FL!

That was Williamson-a lot of their original A/C units were R-12, built like a tank, solid steel cases, slanted condenser coils, semi-hermetic compressors. Almost impossible to kill, there's still a lot of them around. Their plant was on the east side of Cincinnati, at Ridge & Madison Rd., and they've been gone for a long time, maybe 1980 or so. Unfortunately they suck down electricity like there's no tomorrow!

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
My home AC is 37 years old, don't know the brand but it's still going. Some one gave me a large Chrysler window ac unit about 20 years ago but I never used it and threw it out 6 years ago. Took it to the scrap metal dealer and placed it on the scale. He shouted and got out of his chair when he saw the weight of it. Should never have thrown that away.

We had two of those Chrysler window AC units in the house I grew up in. My parents purchased them in the early 1970s and they still blew ice cold when my sister and I sold the house after our mom passed in 2008. They just don't make stuff like that anymore.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
This thread reminded me of an Emerson QuietCool window unit we had when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Talk about cold air. That thing would freeze your face off if you stood in front of it.

Sounds like the old GMs with the A-6 Frigidaire compressor.

I liked those GM Harrison ACs with that compressor. As I recall, Harrison didn't cycle the compressor but used a component to control vapor pressure. They were a lot more reliable than the vehicle itself. Times past.

Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Sears branded stuff at one time was the end all be all. Pretty much the best!!

Absolutely! I collect vintage Sears branded stuff (lots are still unopened). One of these days I wanna setup a little display in one of my rooms to make it look like a little Sears store...

That's SWEET!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
This thread reminded me of an Emerson QuietCool window unit we had when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Talk about cold air. That thing would freeze your face off if you stood in front of it.

That was the best thing in the summer when I was a kid. Run around all day and then come stand in front of the window unit and freeze. The smell of a good chilly window ac brings back memories.

Yep. That's what we would do after tearing around the neighborhood on our bikes. Go home and stand in front of the air conditioner. Lol. Ours would cool the entire house in the summer on high, then turn the fan down to medium or low to maintain the temp.

Most Sears major appliances back in the day were made by Whirlpool. My parents had two Coldspot (Sears) freezers, from about 1952 and 1964. Neither had died as of when my mother moved away in 1991, except that the older one needed a new condenser fan.

It's awesome it lasted so long.

My ‘rents had a chest freezer wedding gift from 1982 that just died last Fall. They certainly don't make them like they used to.

This is not a thread high-jack or anything else "Bob-evil". It's just a dove ail.

Whilst in university I took a statistics class. I surveyed people about appliances and PROVED (statistically) that they don't make 'em like they used to.

I got a good grade.

In the early 80s I bought a house in a development where most had Fedders heat pumps which were a disaster...
Tweaked it a bit for you
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
In the early 80s I bought a house in a development where most had Fedders heat pumps which were a disaster...
Tweaked it a bit for you
grin.gif

For sure...there was a ban on nat gas connections after the late 70s Iran energy "crisis" and developers were scrambling for something to put in besides straight resistance electric. It did have a stout fan blower though so the A/C was robust.

40 years later I'm spending less to heat a similar size house with nat gas.

Back