My GC Replacement Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that GC will become nearly impossible for me to obtain, I need to change my plans. Here is some background:

Vehicle: Volvo XC90 2.5T (5 cyl turbo), 25,000 miles.
Driving Habits: Mostly highway, 45 miles per day.
OCI: 7,500 Miles (spring and fall).
Last UOA: The last/only UOA on this vehicle showed 2.5% fuel dillution.

Stash Details:
  • Case of Schaefer's #132 Moly EP Oil Treatment.
  • One gallon LC20
  • Four gallons FP3000
  • Three gallons Schaefers Neutra #131

• Goals:
    • Use an easy to find synthetic oil that is affordable. This rules out RedLine, Amsoil, RP, Elf, etc.
    • Use up my stash of EP Moly.
    • Use up my stash of LC20.

• Plan: Purchase Mobil 1 5W30 from Costco/Walmart, supplemented with EP Moly (half pint?) and LC20. The EP moly should thicken the 5W30 a bit.

Concerns:
    • Should I consider a different Mobil 1 variant? Perhaps the Truck&SUV, or the 0W40 (European formula)? I have been told that the Volvo engines prefer 40W.
    • Any idea how much the EP will thicken a 5W30 oil?
    • Any other synthetic oils to consider? PP, other Castrol products?

• Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

What does the LC do in this brew?

Also, use your own numbers, but last time I checked the price difference between Amsoil and M1, M1 was only a buck or so more expensive than Amsoil.

Re: LC20, it seems that Molakule reported positive comments about using LC20 with M1. I guess I was thinking the benefits would be cleaning and extended OCI. However, this could be overlap with the EP Moly.

With Amsoil, I have to pay for shipping, and I also have to purchase a "preferred customer" membership. With M1, I can simply pick up a six-pack while I am at Costco. Other than convenience and cost, I have no preference.

I'd also look at PP during the BOGO offers at AAP. Or the PP 5qt WonderJug at WalMart for 20 bucks.

Would you be adverse to the thought of trying MC semi-syn? 10 bucks and some change for the MC 5qt WonderJug at WalMart.

Quote:

I'd also look at PP during the BOGO offers at AAP. Or the PP 5qt WonderJug at WalMart for 20 bucks.

I would have no issues running PP. What is BOGO? AAP = Advanced Auto Parts?

Quote:

Would you be adverse to the thought of trying MC semi-syn? 10 bucks and some change for the MC 5qt WonderJug at WalMart.

Not sure about using a semi-syn because of the turbo. However, that price is very affordable, and perhaps the LC20 and EP Moly would counter any issues.

BOGO = Buy One Get One AAP = Advanced Auto Parts

When their BOGO sale is on, it's just under 3 bucks/qt for PP.

Doc, the 2.5 used in the XC90 will run well on a 30 weight under normal conditions. That will certainly give you more lube options.

I would definitely give a long look at PP 5w-30 as an easily available oil that should stand up to the turbo across reasonable intervals. Too bad, as the last BOGO on it just passed. The BOGO deal makes PP a value champ. Otherwise, the M1 0w-40 is still a good choice for your criteria.

I'd bump the OCI down to 5k on a new oil unless the UOAs tell you you can go longer, but that's just me.

I heard a radio add this morning for a grand opening sale on AAP near by. Sounded like they will be having a BOGO sale, but not sure what it will include. I might drop in and take a look.

Mobil-1 silver cap synthetic in 5w-20, 5w-30, suv 5w-40, and 10w-30 in a (5) quart jug for over $23.00 at Wal-mart. It will go up to 10,000 miles in my car (Acura, 2L (4) cylinder). I usually go up 6000 to 8000 miles and (1) year, severe service. That is usually the rule for both cars.

Do you need to thicken the oil? How about going to the next higher grade? How about the Mobil suv 5w-40?

I have used Amsoil 0w-30 with good results in a 4L (6) cylinder engine. I like the GC as an alternative to the Amsoil 0w-30. But if I can't find the GC, I will go back to Amsoil.

I would look at Maxlife Synthetic 5W-30, or Lubro Moly 0W-40 Vollesynthese.

The lubro moly is a great deal in a 5liter jug at around 32 dollars at advanced auto. works out to around little less than $6 per quart.

hessam/shanneba,

I agree.

Maxlife Synth 5W30 or 10W30 looks really good based on all the specs they meet including BMW LL-04 (I don't know of any other US oil that meets this.).

The M1 HM 10W30 also looks robust based on spec's. The M1 0W40 European is another stand out in the M1 line (it even meets MB AMG spec and VW 503.01).

Finally, one I came across is PP 5W30 European. Ratings: A3,B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 502 and 503.01. PP also has a 5W40 European that looks good. I read someone ordered this last one at NAPA.

Almost forgot Castrol SXL Professional 0W30. I've seen available in US but $9/qt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back