My friend just used PEAK Fleet Charge in her Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, it was cheap.
33.gif

I plan to drain and refill with Dex-Cool (which is what was in it). Would the SCAs actually hurt anything? The diesel guys I know act like putting SCAs in a gasoline engine will lead to the apocalypse.

Every coolant formulation is a compromise, as is every engine oil. Fleet oils are compromised more toward what diesels need and fleet coolants probably are as well.
All OEMs compromise in one direction or another in their coolant recommendations.
If this Yaris is given a good flush until a load of water can be drained out nice and clear, any coolant should then be okay to use.
Coolants may not play well together, but the cooling systems in 99% of all engines involve coolant contact with the same materials, so coolant formulation shouldn't be a major worry.

The Fleet Charge is a much better choice that Dex-cool.

Particularly if you got a good flush on the evil Dex-cool.

But if you're going to change it, use Zerex Asian or the OEM Toyota coolant.

We all know that Japanese cars are allergic to even low levels of silicates. Their water pumps will simply eat themselves. Strike #1.
We all know that Dexcool is junk by virtue of being implemented in GM vehicles. That view would probably be much different had Japanese implemented it, but alas we cannot change the history. Strike #2.
You did not go with OEM coolant. Strike #3. LOL

Seriously dough, I find it pretty interesting that you condemned Fleet Charge, yet you will use Dexcool in this particular application. What's your reasoning behind it?

Dex-Cool is fine. It's what was in it when she got it used (from a GM lot). Toyota engines sold by GM (Matrix) manage to survive on Dex-Cool.

As I mentioned, I've been told repeatedly by several different diesel guys that any coolant with SCAs will ruin a gasoline engine.

It says on the bottle and the website it works for "automotive", but I figured better safe than sorry.

http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/fleet-charge/sca-precharged-coolant-antifreeze/

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Dex-Cool is fine. It's what was in it when she got it used (from a GM lot). Toyota engines sold by GM (Matrix) manage to survive on Dex-Cool.

As I mentioned, I've been told repeatedly by several different diesel guys that any coolant with SCAs will ruin a gasoline engine.

It says on the bottle and the website it works for "automotive", but I figured better safe than sorry.

http://www.peakhd.com/product-lines/fleet-charge/sca-precharged-coolant-antifreeze/

Many people on this forum have the same reaction when you tell them that your Japanese car has a coolant with low silicates in it like a G05, but they have absolutely no clue why other than that they read it somewhere on the internet.

In your particular case, if the system was flushed and filled with manufacturer premixed SCAs, I do not see any reason to get it out and replace with another coolant. It is still glycol based, but has extra additives to prevent cavitation and liner pitting. Why would this cause engine/cooling system failure?
On the other hand, if it was a top up or radiator drain and fill I would flush the system with water and install whatever coolant you want after that, since it doesn't look like the Peak coolant should be mixed with other coolants and for best, long term results it is always prudent not to mix different coolant formulas anyhow.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

On the other hand, if it was a top up or radiator drain and fill I would flush the system with water and install whatever coolant you want after that, since it doesn't look like the Peak coolant should be mixed with other coolants and for best, long term results it is always prudent not to mix different coolant formulas anyhow.

I apologize, I wasn't clear in my initial post. Yes, it was a top off with the PEAK, not a flush-n-fill.

She thought she needed to be full up to the cap, rather than the full mark on the reservoir, so she bought something cheap to fill it up.

I didn't really know if SCAs would hurt a gas engine (I kind of doubted it) but I figured it would be safer to change it than wait and see what happens.

Last edited:
Interesting. The system would have probably been just fine if you had left the original fill in there, but now you have an unknown in there. I'm still not convinced that these Asian super-long life coolants really need replacement at all.

Not to be cynical, but a 1.5L yaris will probably go thru at least one water pump during its life, so I'm sure future opportunities to replace the coolant will arise.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Apparently, it was cheap.
33.gif

I plan to drain and refill with Dex-Cool (which is what was in it). Would the SCAs actually hurt anything? The diesel guys I know act like putting SCAs in a gasoline engine will lead to the apocalypse.

MMk0N.jpg

SCAs won't hurt the engine - Penray rebottles Pencool for passenger cars and I've heard of guys working at the local Detroit Diesel distributor filling their personal trucks with the shop's coolant.

FWIW, I've used silicated coolant in a Nissan with no ill effects but it does leave behind sludge and silicate drop out if not flushed out every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back