My first try at using 0w oil....

So my 2005 Avalon calls for 5w-30. I have been using Full Syn oils in either 5w-30 or 5w-20.
With Michigan winter almost upon me I decided to give 0w-20 a whir. What might I expect in an older car with 185,000 miles and VVT?

So my 2005 Avalon calls for 5w-30. I have been using Full Syn oils in either 5w-30 or 5w-20.
With Michigan winter almost upon me I decided to give 0w-20 a whir. What might I expect in an older car with 185,000 miles and VVT?
It might roll over a bit quicker if we get a cold snap, that should be about it.

Per those two criteria the answer is nothing. It’s still a 30-grade irrespective of the winter rating. What did you expect to happen?

It's a smart move considering numerous long term weather forecasters, including the Farmer's Almanac predicting a tough winter in the Great Lakes region. Your car may never know the difference, except the better cold start flow.

It's a smart move considering numerous long term weather forecasters, including the Farmer's Almanac predicting a tough winter in the Great Lakes region. Your car may never know the difference, except the better cold start flow.
If it gets down to -30 or below then yes.

And “cold start flow” is largely irrelevant. It’s about cranking and pumpability.

It will crank faster. If you haven't changed it yet, maybe reconsider and use a 0w-30.

Per those two criteria the answer is nothing. It’s still a 30-grade irrespective of the winter rating. What did you expect to happen?
He said he's using a 20 grade.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the December gales blow early. ( my apologies to Gordon Lightfoot.)

5557A8E5-D9E1-4E87-A63A-97BE088A7E0F.png

I'm surprised @ARCOgraphite didn't recommend adding 8oz of liquid hot "Magnatec" to make it run that much smoother....

My daughter and fiance are coming up for a few days from CT for Thanksgiving. Going to change her oil and try Supertech 0W20 Advanced in the 'ol 200 with the Multiair 2.4L. She probably wouldn't notice if I used 5W30.

I'm surprised @ARCOgraphite didn't recommend adding 8oz of liquid hot "Magnatec" to make it run that much smoother....

My daughter and fiance are coming up for a few days from CT for Thanksgiving. Going to change her oil and try Supertech 0W20 Advanced in the 'ol 200 with the Multiair 2.4L. She probably wouldn't notice if I used 5W30.
Maybe one of the Lucadites could suggest LOS? If it won't pump it won't add friction!

I'd be interested if anyone has ever pulled a valve cover off an engine, and timed how long it took various weight oils, before they reached the top end of the engine? (Rocker arms and such). After sitting overnight in below zero weather.

Nothing too scientific. Just start the engine in below zero weather, and time it with a stopwatch. 0W-20, 0W-30, 10W-40, etc. That would be good to know. Also if they could check the various cranking RPM's as well with these different weight oils. That is information that could be useful to guys like the OP, who are trying to select the proper weight oil to suit his cold weather requirements.

I'd be interested if anyone has ever pulled a valve cover off an engine, and timed how long it took various weight oils, before they reached the top end of the engine? (Rocker arms and such). After sitting overnight in below zero weather.

Nothing too scientific. Just start the engine in below zero weather, and time it with a stopwatch. 0W-20, 0W-30, 10W-40, etc. That would be good to know. Also if they could check the various cranking RPM's as well with these different weight oils. That is information that could be useful to guys like the OP, who are trying to select the proper weight oil to suit his cold weather requirements.
@Shannow posted a study that measured this a while back, can probably find it if you search for it.

As visually entertaining those videos may be, it’s far from the most important aspects of an oil. More of a county fair type of demonstration but without any real significance.

Note too that many of not most of those videos are using an oil that has an inappropriate winter rating for the test temperature.

Back