My first try at using 0w oil....

Did anyone read the YT description by the guy who put it on YT? ... note the parts in bold. Think that engine has some factors that effected what they saw. IMO, not a good test of a cold start-up to determine time it takes for oil to get to the rockers.

"My 350 SBC with a wore out bottom end. This engine has an Edelbrock Performer cam and lifter set with Summit 1.6 ratio roller tip rockers. This was a cold start after sitting for about a year. I wanted to see how fast oil got up to the rockers since we have been having problems with my brothers Camaro. It took a while to get there. With good oil pressure in another SBC we were seeing 20 seconds for oil to get to the rockers, and much more flow when it did. That was with Lunati lifters. This engine makes almost no oil pressure at idle when warm. Check out some of my other videos for that engine to compare this to."

Last edited:
Not really. Hot viscosity isn't different enough to make a flow difference. Besides ... PD oil pump, the most misunderstood component in an oiling system.

Again ... PD oil pump. There is the same flow volume because of the pump. Oil pressure and oil flow (as long as it's adequate) doesn't mean better protection. Better protection is achieved by better MOFT, which is a function of the oil viscosity. Has been that way since tribology was discovered 100 years ago, and that fact will never change.
MOFT has it’s place. Here is what the Global Cup cars run for a Miata.
They change their oil after every race. Long Road racing is no longer in business. Hard driving with oil coolers on the track.

MOFT has it’s place. Here is what the Global Cup cars run for a Miata.
They change their oil after every race. Long Road racing is no longer in business. Hard driving with oil coolers on the track.
Of course oil coolers are key in race cars, and IF you can keep the oil cooler you can run thinner oil. It's all about the actual viscosity (and HTHS) AT the operating temperature. You could run 0W-5 all day long IF you can keep it cool enough. If you could keep 0W-5 at a temperature to give you 10~11 cSt then it would be basically the same viscosity as xW-30 at 200F. It will always remain that MOFT is directly connected to the actual oil viscosity between the moving parts. That's a basic backbone of Tribology.

Back