My first time with GC....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after much anticipation, I finally did it. I put GC in my VW 1.8T. I could almost hear the engine say "Danke, ist dieses deutsche Castrol sogar besser, als ich mich vorgestellt hatte!"

I think there should be some sort of "Wait a second, is this your first time?" GC icon for us to use.
grin.gif

My R has had a steady diet of Schaeffer 10w30 since I have owned it (almost 3 years) and I just bought an oil change worth of GC to use for a driving school event (and beyond). I need (or so I think) a durable high HTHS oil for ~1.5 hours of 5500-8500 rpm on a road course!
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Well, after much anticipation, I finally did it. I put GC in my VW 1.8T. I could almost hear the engine say "Danke, ist dieses deutsche Castrol sogar besser, als ich mich vorgestellt hatte!"

should be DIESER castrol and,
als ich MIR vogestellt hatte
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

should be DIESER castrol and,
als ich MIR vogestellt hatte
smile.gif

97tbird,

....um-m-m-m-m, you got Elves in Buies Creek?

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
....um-m-m-m-m, you got Elves in Buies Creek?

Haven't seen any elves in Buies Creek...not green enough, I guess...

..I lived in the elf-land for about 9 yrs, though.
Too bad the elves and their product were not good to my 4.6L
frown.gif

na ja...
smile.gif
was kann man machen?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
My R has had a steady diet of Schaeffer 10w30 since I have owned it (almost 3 years) and I just bought an oil change worth of GC to use for a driving school event (and beyond). I need (or so I think) a durable high HTHS oil for ~1.5 hours of 5500-8500 rpm on a road course!
burnout.gif

Obviously this is the wrong forum for questioning the green elixir, but why did you chose GC? I track my Focus and put it through the same torture (albeit at a lower RPM) so I have to look at oils from the same perspective. I went with M1 0w-40 FWIW. The Zetec now specifies 5w-20, but it used to spec 5w-30 and even 10w-30. I figured going to a 40 wouldn't kill it.

quote:

Originally posted by BrewCityR:
burnout.gif

Yup GC 0-30 or Amsoil 0-30 should serve you well....I have to ask...why are you changing in the first place? Or are you guilty (like me:)) of always looking for the best thing? Just curious.....

quote:

why are you changing in the first place? Or are you guilty (like me:)) of always looking for the best thing?

I am running low on Schaeffer 10w30 (5 quarts left), but I am really unsure what oil I will end up using on a regular basis. New Schaeffer 10w30 (SM) has a rated HTHS at 3.16 (from 3.5 with SL).
rolleyes.gif

I'm new here so please forgive me for this question, but I have to ask.... What is German Castrol, what is all the hype about, can I use it in my 04 V6 Grand Am, and, most importantly, where can I get it??? Sorry for the 15 part question, but, again, I keep reading about it and I'm like
banghead.gif
pat.gif
trying to figure out what the deal is. Any info y'all can give me would be MOST appreciated.

A few answers for you...

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:
I'm new here so please forgive me for this question, but I have to ask.... What is German Castrol

You're kidding, right? Just start reading some message threads in this forum and you'll quickly come up to speed on this motor oil.

quote:

what is all the hype about

No hype, just solid performance in a wide variety of vehicles. Check out our UOA section for some stellar reports of GC in various vehicles.

quote:

can I use it in my 04 V6 Grand Am

Probably...what oil weight is recommended by Pontiac?

quote:

where can I get it???

In the U.S. I believe the only place it's currently sold is at AutoZone stores. Look for the 0w-30 with the red label on the front. Then make sure it says "Made in Germany" on the back.

Here's a pic of the rear of the label:
 -

Just did my 1st GC OC last Saturday on our `03 VW Golf 2.0. This car has been fed a steady diet of Rotella 5W40 over the past 40k miles. The word that best sums it up is.......smoooooooth. I'd been noticing a tiny bit of top end racket on cold morning starts w/Rotella. Not so with GC. The engine is whisper quiet from the moment I turn the key. The engine also seems to rev a bit more freely as well. The plan is run the new GC for 6500-7000mi, then send in a sample. If all is well, then I'll start increasing the OCI in 1000mi increments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back