My first Post: Question on Mobil/ Exxon motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just registered, I have been looking at the site for a week or so... I am impressed, and somewhat intimidated at the same time. You folks sure know alot about motor oils! I think I might have been bitten by the same bug you have because I have been almost obsessive about oil in my vehicles the past several months... I change the oil on all 6 of my vehicles (5 drivers)primarily to save money, but also enjoy it as a hobby and like that it is done correctly. Anyway, I also have a tractor and heard about this site over at Tractorbynet, and I frequent that for my tractor needs, but the lubrication section is limited and generally just on diesel oil. I was just looking for some feedback on Mobil Drive Clean and Exxon SuperFlo "as you call them Dino" oils. I have used a number of diffenent oils, Citgo, Quaker State, and have looked at some of the archived info but wanted to have a more detailed look at these. I know many of you are very much into synthetic's, straight or blend, extended drains, and oil testing... That's a bit beyond me at this point so hopefully you won't mind stepping back a bit for a newbie like me.... If you can keep it somewhat basic, that would be helpful.. kind of oil "101" so to speak. I currently change the oil every 3000 miles or sooner, use WIX, Purolator and Baldwin Filters, Use 5W30 in most of the vehicles... Thanks...

First of all
welcome.gif

You can't go wrong with either oil Mobil or Exxon in my opinion if you are changing it out religiously at 3000 miles. If you are going for the lowest cost at this drain interval, then pick the one on sale
grin.gif

If you want to try to go to a 5000 mile drain interval to reduce the number of oil changes, then that might require a bit more analysis in my opinion.

I use conventional oil in both my family's vehicles and do the changes myself every 3000-4000 miles. If I was maintaining 6 (!) vehicles I would probably be looking into ways to extend the drain intervals, at least to 4000-5000 miles or so. Even at that modest interval, you'd reduce the frequency of changes significantly vs. a 3000 mile interval.

To go 4000-5000 miles or more safely, you'd probably need to switch to a synthetic oil (group IV or V) and/or invest in oil analysis.

I enjoy changing the oil in both our vehicles and don't mind crawling under the vehicles every 3000 miles (typically every 2-3 months), but with 6 vehicles it's gotta be a bit much!? Unless some of the vehicles are logging few miles and your change interval is determined by time, not distance.

welcome.gif

And don't be intimidated. People here are always willing to help and give their opinions. There is certainly an elevated of information. The nice thing here is that we are all oil junkies. As time goes on you will learn a lot and possibly this may drive you into altering your present oil habits with regards to brands of oil, filters and change intervals. Obviously there is no concensus here. Nice thing is no-one tries to shove anything down your throat.

As was mentioned-by changing every 3K it doesn't matter very much what you do-unless you drive extremely hard.

Check Bob's homepage out- http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ There is a great deal of "Oil 101" there. So rather than running you thru stuff you may already knot. I'd say-start there.
You can check the section on oil analysis (on this board). Chevron Supreme and Iso-Syn seem to do real well.

Don't really have any more to add-just ask questions and check things out.

Al

quote:

Originally posted by bluedevils:
To go 4000-5000 miles or more safely, you'd probably need to switch to a synthetic oil (group IV or V) and/or invest in oil analysis.

I think ANY Group III synthetic, and quite a few Group II conventional oils, could safely go 4000-5000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by XHVI:

quote:

Originally posted by bluedevils:

I think ANY Group III synthetic, and quite a few Group II conventional oils, could safely go 4000-5000 miles.

In the right engine I believe this. The Maxlife 10w30 analysis I had on my 95 Firebird a few months ago showed that it could've gone 6k quite easily. This sample was at 3300 miles and the oxidation was only 9%, TBN was 8 and the viscosity was rock solid at 11.5. The engine had 72k on it at the time, and this was the interval right after doing an Auto-rx treatment. From what I understand Maxlife uses about 9% esters in it's base oil and the rest is group 2.

Surge, you'll find there's more to oil quality than the "synthetic/dino" distinctions, blurred as they've become through marketing efforts. Side-step that battle in favor of results. Once you're comfortable reading analysis results the definitions are less at issue than individual characteristics and their performance in your situation.

I agree, Bob's home page topics are a good place to start. You'll also pick up great information by going through this forum's early traffic. (Search, or upper right has a "Page" selection.)

BTW, welcome!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back