My first Havoline cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 1000 miles into my very first use of Havoline in my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan.
Before this I'v used Castrol and Valvoline only.
I have noticed that the Havoline turns darker sooner than the Castrol did. Is this due to the increased additives that Havoline uses and because it may be cleaning more than the Castrol did.?

Don't worry about the color of an oil, just its performance.

Alot of people also say the same thing about Mobil 1
dunno.gif

And yes, I have noticed in my friends car who uses strictly M1 that it gets dark early compared to regular conventional oil.

It may get dirtier due to the fact that it is suspending more contaminants.

Does anyone else ever get that “not so fresh” feeling after their havoline cycle?

A few months back, Citgo Supergard was being bashed for the same problem (gets dirty fast). So...how many miles did it take the Castrol to darken for you?

Havoline is using a sighty darker moly compound (if I recall correctly) due to "hurricane induced" changes in chemical supply. There is NO difference in performance. I suspect other oils are in the same "storm" (ahem)

"Does anyone else ever get that “not so fresh” feeling after their havoline cycle?"

ROFLMAO --- but I am easily amused...

Hmmm lable copy "the only motor oil that gives your engine that 'fresh feeling'... UGH bleech

basically, oil darkening sooner than other is no indication on how long it will last? Castrol for me seems to stay cleaner looking, longer.

The first Havoline 5w-30 OCI in my 200k+mi Civic turned dark rather quickly, I changed at 3k. The next returned to the usual darkening rate, I left it for 5k. Both were with the older SL/GF3 version, no super-high moly. Both were mixed driving but mostly city. Did it clean-up something the prior oils missed? I don't know.

Quote:
======
I'm 1000 miles into my very first use of Havoline in my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. Before this I've used Castrol and Valvoline only.
I have noticed that the Havoline turns darker sooner than the Castrol did. Is this due to the increased additives that Havoline uses and because it may be cleaning more than the Castrol did?

============

How did you arrive at Havoline having more additives than Castrol?

I see different additives in the VOAs of both. Castrol has more of "this" hypothetically & Havoline has more of "that" hypothetically.

Every oil I've used in car or motorcycle turns dark...I've never seen oil come out clear when I changed it even after 2,500 miles.

The color of the dipsick can be misleading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back