My first batch of reload!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months and months of research, I finally made my first batch of reload. Mixed brass, Berry's 115 Gr. plated bullets, Winchester/CCI primer, Winchester 231 powder (4.6Gr) Now i'm addicted to reloading. I made 5 each starting with 4.3 and working way up to 4.7Gr and I shot the best with the 4.6Gr 1.140 OAL.

dsc1001k.jpg

A great way to save money! Just check, check, and spot check your powder charges, make sure you're using the right powder, etc, etc, etc. I'll start re-loading once winter sets in.

EXCELLENT! Went out today and shot up 200 of my 9mm, 100 of .38sp and 100 of .40S&W (all reloads) and its a great part of the hobby!!

I shoot mostly lead (for even more savings and less wear on the bore) but for the warmer/hot stuff the copper comes out.

Like demarpaint says check check is a great mindset. When in doubt check it out!

Good job. Stay safe!

Bill

PS: Interesting that you load your rounds primer down in the box. Except for the rifle rounds all of mine are bullet down.
21.gif
grin2.gif

I forget what the brand is, but at the gunstore they have some premium self defense rounds (Federal Hydrashock?) in a clear plastic box, primer down, big ole hollow point up. Helps drive the point across whats in the box.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

PS: Interesting that you load your rounds primer down in the box. Except for the rifle rounds all of mine are bullet down.
21.gif
grin2.gif

At first I put the bullet side, but it didn't fit well, it had a lot of room to wiggle around, maybe it's just the Cabela's box.

21.gif
grin2.gif

I've always done primer down. Is there a reason you do bullet down?

I do primer down, that way, at the range I can see (in my .223) whether I've got Hornady 52gr HP, 60gr V-Max, or some triels with shared Sierras, Noslers etc.

About to set myself up out in the underhouse laundry when we start renovations.

Originally Posted By: Mixologist

21.gif
grin2.gif

I've always done primer down. Is there a reason you do bullet down?

A few reasons. Here is a photo of .357 mag load and .40 S&W round for example;

bulletcase.jpg

As you can see the .357 round will only load primer up. The .40 S&W load will go either way but both if you pick them up by the primer its easier to grab, easier to load into mags or cylinders (for me) and less chance of dropping them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I do primer down, that way, at the range I can see (in my .223) whether I've got Hornady 52gr HP, 60gr V-Max, or some triels with shared Sierras, Noslers etc.

Labels are a wonderful thing.
grin2.gif
Actually I take a sharpie and either label the box or put on some masking tape and write on the side what the load and bullets are.

But in my .223 loads I do them bullet up since they are very wobbly if you load those bullet down.

img2385j.jpg

Just for me its easier (and in some boxes you can only) load primer up so that is why I commented.

Take care, bill

congratulations on what you will find to be an enjoyable hobby. Just one thing to point out when using mixed brass. Be careful of case neck tension. The 9 mm is a short case and some dimensional variations between brands can result in some cases producing less case neck tension (and potential for possible bullet setback.

If you have a good set of calipers you can test by using hand pressure and pushing the nose against a hard surface. If the bullet moves under hand pressure set those cases aside. I recall reading that seating a 9mm bullet just a couple hundredths of an inch deeper can double the pressures.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Can_Harry

If you have a good set of calipers you can test by using hand pressure and pushing the nose against a hard surface. If the bullet moves under hand pressure set those cases aside. I recall reading that seating a 9mm bullet just a couple hundredths of an inch deeper can double the pressures.

I measure each round with with my digital caliper. They come out average .377-.378 crimped. I noticed that each once feels different when I put them through the Lee factory crimp die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back