My findings with AISIN timing belt and replacement saga

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet but just wanted to talk about the AISIN timing belt kit for my J35 Accord. 2 1/2 years ago and under 30,000 miles ago I had and Indy shop replace my timing belt, water pump and blah blah with the AISIN kit. I didn’t feel like messing with it at the time and the AISIN kit was way cheaper then Honda parts but high recommend. Car alway made a strange warble noise with this kit but didn’t think much of it because it was faint. Lately it got to the point that I could hear it with the hood closed and I didn’t like that so I bought a Honda belt, water pump, and tensioner.
Yesterday we were slow at the body shop so I started the job in the afternoon as I tore the engine down first thing I noticed was the tensioner was wet. Great that’s already leaking and failing. Now this is where it gets good and I made a bone head move. I didn’t rotate the engine to TDC before taking the car apart. I had the crank shaft pulley off along with the alignment key and it didn’t dawn on me that the timing belt sprocket would spin freely on the crank shaft. I then set the timing of the engine up top by lining up the cams to TDC. Then when I went back down to the crank shaft area I seen that the sprocket moved but the crank didn’t. My stomach immediately turned to knots because I assumed that I caused bent valves. Now I went ahead and lined up the crank in the timing marks and made a couple phone calls to a mechanic friend to discuss what I had done and he said that I should be okay. Nonetheless still worried, I continue on with the job because IF the damage was done it’s already done and I won’t know until I start the car. I finish the job and rotate the engine assembly a few times to make sure that everything was in time and all looked good.
Time the cross my fingers and start the car. The car starts right up with no issues what so ever and is running like a sewing machine. I let it warm up and check coolant and also no more weird warble noise. So in the end everything worked out and saved myself a ton of money by doing the valve adjustment, timing belt and water pump myself.

TLDR :)
AISIN timing belt kit made a warble noise and tensioner was leaking at low mileage. I didn’t correctly set time on engine while taking car apart and about had a heart attack thinking I destroyed my engine. End result is that everything is okay and no more noise with Honda parts.

I always recommend people go with OEM when possible. The only aftermarket company I trust is GATES.

@The Critic has had that same experience with the TKH002, but I've not had any such troubles. Don't know why some people would have issues and others not.

I did do exactly as you did though the last time I did one on my Accord. No harm no foul since I didn't just wrench on the crank. I'd imagine that if you really ran the pistons into something it would be pretty clear and as long as you didn't wail on it, should be ok.

I’ll try to keep this short and sweet but just wanted to talk about the AISIN timing belt kit for my J35 Accord. 2 1/2 years ago and under 30,000 miles ago I had and Indy shop replace my timing belt, water pump and blah blah with the AISIN kit. I didn’t feel like messing with it at the time and the AISIN kit was way cheaper then Honda parts but high recommend. Car alway made a strange warble noise with this kit but didn’t think much of it because it was faint. Lately it got to the point that I could hear it with the hood closed and I didn’t like that so I bought a Honda belt, water pump, and tensioner.
Yesterday we were slow at the body shop so I started the job in the afternoon as I tore the engine down first thing I noticed was the tensioner was wet. Great that’s already leaking and failing. Now this is where it gets good and I made a bone head move. I didn’t rotate the engine to TDC before taking the car apart. I had the crank shaft pulley off along with the alignment key and it didn’t dawn on me that the timing belt sprocket would spin freely on the crank shaft. I then set the timing of the engine up top by lining up the cams to TDC. Then when I went back down to the crank shaft area I seen that the sprocket moved but the crank didn’t. My stomach immediately turned to knots because I assumed that I caused bent valves. Now I went ahead and lined up the crank in the timing marks and made a couple phone calls to a mechanic friend to discuss what I had done and he said that I should be okay. Nonetheless still worried, I continue on with the job because IF the damage was done it’s already done and I won’t know until I start the car. I finish the job and rotate the engine assembly a few times to make sure that everything was in time and all looked good.
Time the cross my fingers and start the car. The car starts right up with no issues what so ever and is running like a sewing machine. I let it warm up and check coolant and also no more weird warble noise. So in the end everything worked out and saved myself a ton of money by doing the valve adjustment, timing belt and water pump myself.

AISIN timing belt kit made a warble noise and tensioner was leaking at low mileage. I didn’t correctly set time on engine while taking car apart and about had a heart attack thinking I destroyed my engine. End result is that everything is okay and no more noise with Honda parts.
Is the engine non-interference? I was expecting you to include removing the cams to get the crank to rotate without hitting valves.

Interesting concerning the warble. I did the same job and engine is totally quiet. Even used a stethoscope to be sure. That tensioner is made by Aisin, who is (partially?) owned by Toyota. Some ppl say its from the water pump, also made by Aisin in that kit. I think Aisin would have done something about the warble by now since it has been a known issue for quite a while now.

Interesting concerning the warble. I did the same job and engine is totally quiet. Even used a stethoscope to be sure. That tensioner is made by Aisin, who is (partially?) owned by Toyota. Some ppl say its from the water pump, also made by Aisin in that kit. I think Aisin would have done something about the warble by now since it has been a known issue for quite a while now.
Yeah it does seem to be a crap shoot. Doesn’t make much sense

Where did you buy the kit from?

The Aisin water pump warbling/chirping issue is extensively documented on several Honda forums involving the J35 application in the Odyssey, Pilot and Accord, and in other BITOG posts. Here is one recent thread that provides some details:

AISIN WATER PUMP WARBLE

The Aisin water pump warbling/chirping issue is extensively documented on several Honda forums involving the J35 application in the Odyssey, Pilot and Accord, and in other BITOG posts. Here is one recent thread that provides some details:

AISIN WATER PUMP WARBLE
Yes that post was me. And I am sad to say I have that warble noise back again. It certainly is a crap shoot! I am so mad!:mad: I seriously do not know why some parts have it and some do not. I wish mine did not, especially after having had this job done 3 times. 2 times with the Aisin kit at a local mechanic and once with the OEM from the dealership.

I would like to know from you great folks what you think the issue is? Do those of you who have a Pilot and have not had your timing belt changed have this noise? Or is it only after this work is done that it is documented? Perhaps it has nothing to do with the timing belt and its parts?
A fellow on the Piloteers forum thought it was air in the system with the coolant,...he performed many maneuvers to get the air out of the system and although it helped it was still there.
He then noted that the noise was coming from ...his quote is below...here is the picture he posted where he thinks the noise is coming from.
Logan said ..."One thing I discovered using a (cheap) mechanics stethoscope was the noise was very very noticeable at this nook BEHIND the drive belt tensioner, against the oil pump (the tensioner itself was not making that noise). This rhythmic warbling noise continues to driving me nuts." Those are his words not mine.
1678509549698-png.166501

I hope someone can give new insight to this issue. It really is an awful noise...makes me think another part is going to wear out. I'd like to beat it to the punch so to speak and not have any issues. As it is I have to get a new power steering pump on my 2015 Pilot! Ugh...and yes the O rings have been changed but whine noise is still there. The dealership has the pump, but the reservoir is on back order,...go figure!

Last edited:
Back