My Favorite Rake

My metal rake of 20 plus years was wearing out. So was I. I like the plastic one I have with double the width for big jobs, but wanted something plastic and smaller. Browsing Menard's yard tool isle I found my favorite rake. Used it for hours raking acorns and sticks before the first mowing of the season. It is light as a feather. It actually made yard work fun! I have not felt this way about raking the yard for over 50 years.

20210323_082725_resized.jpg

True Temper has some nice things based on what I have seen. We used to be able to get them at True Value Hardware then they converted to Ace and have their own brand now. My dad has one of their old shovels from I believe 2006 or 2007 I was with him when he bought it and it’s held up great for the last 15 or so years. Haha looking back at the picture now I realize it is a kids rake 🤣. Yes I’m in the plastic over metal club too.

OP is right though, I have a double wide plastic rake but trying to get around the bushes is a pain with it plus it just plain wears a guy out.

True Temper has some nice things based on what I have seen. We used to be able to get them at True Value Hardware then they converted to Ace and have their own brand now. My dad has one of their old shovels from I believe 2006 or 2007 I was with him when he bought it and it’s held up great for the last 15 or so years. Haha looking back at the picture now I realize it is a kids rake 🤣. Yes I’m in the plastic over metal club too.

TSC carries True Temper, just picked up a new snow shovel last fall.

Down here you see a lot of those narrow leaf rakes but I haven't broken down and bought one yet. I'm still using my True Temper from 1975! Spring steel tines.

Down here you see a lot of those narrow leaf rakes but I haven't broken down and bought one yet. I'm still using my True Temper from 1975! Spring steel tines.
I compared it to my metal leaf rake. Same width tines. Handle is 5 or so inches shorter. I have short legs and tall torso so it is perfect for me.

I have a True Temper snow shovel from the late 90's. It is balanced and reinforced. Made to last.

My father had a Tru-Temper plastic rake that lasted 25 years before it finally wore down to where it was a bit inefficient. He was interested in a metal tine rake and i ended up getting him one from Bully Tools.
Whatever Bully doesnt make, my next in line is True Temper. Have had the best luck with True temper snow shovels over Suncast and Emsco.

Actually, A guy was on the news the other day in Daytona Beach using a snow shovel to shovel the HAIL from his front walk! My only question was "Why in the world would he keep that thing down here?"
Well, I guess now I know.
My days of shoveling snow are over. Moving 22" of snow off of a gravel driveway at 22 degrees below zero was probably what convinced me.

Someone I know moved to New York and had never seen snow. His quote was "snow is pretty until you have to shovel it". Fortunately, I do not get much snow. Leafs are a bigger issue.

I was thinking your rake was favorite because it encourages the use of child labor to do your chores. ;) LOL

Back