My extended drain situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have about 10 things to say/ask in one post. First love the forum! 2nd I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with the 6liter gasser. I tow a 7000lb. enclosed trailer in city conditions about 90% of the time the truck is running. I asked an Amsoil rep about extended drain intervals and he said I could get 25,000 miles from their 5w-30 with Oil Analysis and a filter change halfway. I really just want to get 7500 out of an oil change. Is this possible without oil sampling? I don't have time to do the sampling and I rarely have time to change oil. I will do the oil changes myself. Are the oil filters that Amsoil sells necessary for a 7500 interval or can I go with a PureOne? Anyone have the part # I need for the Amsoil filter?

Thanks in advance to all of you oil gurus!

welcome.gif

You might be able to do a 7500 mile OCI with any number of over-the-counter synthetics, but I think with your situation, especially given the significant amount of towing you do, an analysis would be prudent to at least confirm this. Personally, I would pull a sample at 4,500 or so to see how the oil was holding up, and not run all the way to 7,500 on the first attempt.

For a truck towing a heavy trailer in city conditions, the Amsoil rep's suggestion of a 25,000 mile OCI is ludicrous. Maybe for an automobile doing 90% highway miles within a years time it might be feasible, but for you, not a good idea.

I'd be concerned with your transmission as well. Will you be using synthetic ATF? Does your truck have an auxiliary tranny cooler? If not, it might be a good idea to install one, and change/flush your tranny fluid at the "severe" service interval, if not sooner.

Amsoil should be perfect for 7500 mile intervals. I would suggest you look at a bypass filter, with one of those you should be able to go 10,000 or more...

It is pretty rare when someone can get 25,000 in one year on an Amsoil oil and especially with the towing you speak of. It appears this Amsoil rep is spouting the corporate line when what he should be telling you is to go 5-7500, have it analyzed and see how it is holding up under your driving conditions. You may be able to do it but doubtful and he is risking your engine in the long term (effects would show up years later), not his.

I do have an external trans. cooler.
My GM change oil reminder comes on about every 6000 miles for what thats worth, I have also used 5w30 Valvoline dino until now.
Should I consider a different weight than what is recommended if I go to synthetics?
Also I try to accelerate as gently as possible since I only get 9MPG, so even though I'm towing a lot of weight I know others that are harder on their trucks.

Barkleymut

Amsoil is way expensive and you don't need it. With your type of driving I would use a Heavy Duty oil like Chevron Delo 400 and change it when the light on your dash says it's time.

Tim C

your truck could go 10000 miles on amsoil easy. my truck has 18000 miles on its amsoil change. oil still tests good

I'd go with the AC Delco filter myself over the Pure. Mobil 1 or the Amsoil XL-7500 ought to get the job done @ 6K.

quote:

Originally posted by Barkleymut:
I asked an Amsoil rep about extended drain intervals and he said I could get 25,000 miles from their 5w-30 with Oil Analysis and a filter change halfway.

First off go back and tell that guy he is full of sh*t. You can give him my name if you want, I'll tell him that to.

Tell him to look up a G-1490: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1490.pdf

on the back side will give you recommended change intervals. I would say your situation is servere service:
quote:

Notice: More frequent service may be required under severe service
operating conditions. Regular oil analysis recommended for establishing
drain interval. During long periods of idle service, base service on hours
of operations.

You have to remeber that you are going more Hours than you are miles. I would change the oil every 6 months regardless of miles. I would also use 10w30 ATM in your truck it will be more shear stable and will reduce consumption if any.

One of the limiting factors for your truck is fuel dilution.

Give me a call if you want the straight scoop.
877-464-8798

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
It appears this Amsoil rep is spouting the corporate line when what he should be telling you is to go 5-7500, have it analyzed and see how it is holding up under your driving conditions.

Spector, it appears he is an idiot and has not had any training, has not read a single thing that Amsoil puts out except the 25K or 1 year.

Check out that link I have above and you will see that the corp line for commercial vehicles and severe service vehilces is not 25K or one year.

It will usually be either 2 times the recommended drain or 6 months whichever comes first for a commercial situation.

If that "Amsoil rep" knew your towing situation and told you 25K mile intervals are OK, then he is full of something as ms says.

That said, 7500 mile intervals shouldn't be an issue, but I would do an analysis for $19.95.

Sorry, guys. Just looked and the ATM is cheaper than I thought. Might be the ticket. I like the HT/HS
grin.gif

XL-7500 looks less attractive all the time price wise.

quote:

Originally posted by Barkleymut:
I don't have time to do the sampling and I rarely have time to change oil. I will do the oil changes myself. Are the oil filters that Amsoil sells necessary for a 7500 interval or can I go with a PureOne? Anyone have the part # I need for the Amsoil filter?

Hmm, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for a by-pass filter. With your extensive idling and lack of time, you should have no problem extending drains a lot longer than 7500 miles. I wouldn't say you could get 50,000 or 100,000 but I would image you should be able to get 1-2 years on an oil change.

If it were mine that is what I would do. I would put on a by-pass filter. I would run Series 3000 5w30HDD and I would change FF filters at 6 months and by-pass filter at 1 year. With a sample interval of 6 months, 1 year then every year after that unless you spot a problem.

I would also get setup to put Amsoil in your Automatic Transmission, which will help protect your tranny in the stop and go traffic and pulling that trailer.

Give me a call maybe we can meet since I"m only about 2 hrs. away and I get to Richmond at least once a month for Army Reserve duty.

Michael Sparks
877-464-8798
[email protected]

msparks your reply to barrkleymut on jan 29 and your reply on jan 30 dont agree with each other. when i read the amsoil web site i read "25000 miles or one year" then they suggest doing oil analysis. thats what barrklemuts amsoil sellsman told him todo

quote:

Originally posted by fred:
msparks your reply to barrkleymut on jan 29 and your reply on jan 30 dont agree with each other. when i read the amsoil web site i read "25000 miles or one year" then they suggest doing oil analysis. thats what barrklemuts amsoil sellsman told him todo

They are not supposed to agree with each other. One suggestion is to change at 6 months with normal filtration and no oil anlysis. The other is to install a by-pass filter and change according to analysis.

The Amsoil guy to suggest that he can get 25,000 even if he uses analysis is wrong. The proper suggestion would be to go 2 times the factory recommendation or 6 months, and extended longer if you use analysis. But if you are spending $20 every 6 months on analysis, it would be a waste of money since you would also probably need to change your filter. So you would be at over $30 every 6 months(Filter plus an extra quart plus the anlysis). An oil change with amsoil would cost around $35.

The recommendation of the 10w30 over the 5w30 is becuase the 10w30 is more shear stable and has a better NOACK volitility rating. If he is using a by-pass he could use the Series 3000 HDD(heavy duty diesel) which is about $2 more per quart, but the cost would not be a factor with a by-pass filter since you probably would not need to change the oil for a couple of years or longer.

TooSlick this is off the subject, but the board seems to keep pointing me away from M1 and other high efficiency filters as too restrictive. I was using them, but everyone is saying no. I'm confused.

Can you counter this argument??

I was happy as a lark using M1 and Amsoil spin on filters before I discovered this site.

quote:

Anyone have the part # I need for the Amsoil filter?

2003 CHEVROLET TRUCKS SILVERADO 2500 HD PICKUP 6.0L 8-cyl VIN Code U

FILTERS
Oil Filter......SDF32
Air Filter......TS123

I use the 10W-30 (ATM) in my 2001 GMC 5.3L.
BTW-I change oil once per year, avg about 15,000 miles a year.

[ January 30, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

I use the 10W-30 (ATM) in my 2001 GMC 5.3L.
BTW-I change oil once per year, avg about 15,000 miles a year. [/QB]

I think the average driver or normal use would have no problem with this, but from what he describes is not normal by any means. I bet he starts and drive a few miles turn it off for an hour, and does the same thing. If you look at his profile he is in lawn care. Probably never drives more than 5-10 miles at any one time!!! Plus pulling a trailer. That is very hard on the oil.

Any of the Amsoil engine oils will last for 7500 miles, even if you tow all the time ....I'd probably just use the regular 5w-30 or 10w-30. Oil analysis is absolutely NOT necessary if you are only going 7500 miles between changes,unless you strongly suspect a mechanical problem or abnormal levels of contamination.

I believe the Amsoil oil filter for the Vortec engines is the SDF-59?, but I'd check their on-line filter guide. The other filter I like is the Mobil 1, high efficiency filter ....

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back