My expreinces with the 2011 Elantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Hyundai Elantra.
Factory Fill, From what I saw was a very thin 5w20 (thinnest of all 3 visual) Shell oil based on Shell contracts. This oil had the most engine noise but best mpg.
First oil change 5000 kms, Dealer supplied Synthetic 5w20 QS as stated by dealer which is Shell. This oil had less engine noise but much worse mpg.
Second oil change 10000 kms, 5w20 Valvoline Synpower 5w20, This oil had the least engine noise very quiet and almost as good mpg as the factory fill.
I would really like to know what the FF was gave the best mpg by far, noisy as heck but Hyundai is happy with it.

how do you like the elantra? I'm trying to get my wife to look at a particular low-mileage '08 Elantra, just for gas mileage sake, and we would be getting rid of the RAV4. She loves her Rav, but as much as we drive back and forth it's really killing us financially.

Hers gets about 24 mpg on the highway, the '08 Elantra is rated at about 36.

Do you like yours? I love my Hyundai.

Zero-
I have an 09 Elantra and really like it. I avg 35-36 mpg in mixed driving 60/40 highway/city. Great reliability and drives well in all weather with the right shoes. Solid little car.

We have a 2011 Elantra and use MC 5w-20 with OEM filter and change every 5k. We get 40mpg on highway consistently and love the car.

Last edited:
I love it, it gets great mileage but the FF was by far the best.
The wife likes to drive it in the winter rather than our other car she says it is way more sure footed.
It is a totally different car than the 08.

Last edited:
There is no way the first oil change and the FF were the same.
The dealer supplied oil was much thicker but they swear its 5w20.
The car felt like it had 2 extra people in it with the dealer supplied oil.
FF was awesome First oil change was horrible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Koz1
2011 Hyundai Elantra.
Factory Fill, From what I saw was a very thin 5w20 (thinnest of all 3 visual) Shell oil based on Shell contracts. This oil had the most engine noise but best mpg.
First oil change 5000 kms, Dealer supplied Synthetic 5w20 QS as stated by dealer which is Shell. This oil had less engine noise but much worse mpg.
Second oil change 10000 kms, 5w20 Valvoline Synpower 5w20, This oil had the least engine noise very quiet and almost as good mpg as the factory fill.
I would really like to know what the FF was gave the best mpg by far, noisy as heck but Hyundai is happy with it.

I don't like engine noise so I'd go with the mfg spec'd oil that makes the least noise. MPG improves as the engine breaks in, and in some cars that can take a while.

Something very strange I noticed is after the second oil change there was rust on top of the oil filter engine side, dealer supplied Syn. I have never seen rust on any filters before this.
Is this common or not thanks.

Funny thing is I was getting amazing mpg right out from the dealer first couple days I started tracking mileage, I was getting way better than 40 mpg highway and better than 30 mpg city.
Yesterday I did a 90 km run and got 4.7 lphk which converts to 50 mpg US. My best run on a factory fill was 4.0 lphk which is 58.81 mpg and totally insane, I did not go past 85 kph 53 mph and I as doing burn and coast while in gear N was not used.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I was getting amazing mpg right out from the dealer first couple days I started tracking mileage, I was getting way better than 40 mpg highway and better than 30 mpg city.
Yesterday I did a 90 km run and got 4.7 lphk which converts to 50 mpg US. My best run on a factory fill was 4.0 lphk which is 58.81 mpg and totally insane, I did not go past 85 kph 53 mph and I as doing burn and coast while in gear N was not used.

Nice fuel economy from that automatic Elantra! It looks like it's geared to get best fuel economy at 50-53 mph. I hope it stays that high for you! And, glad to see I'm partially wrong about newer Elantras not getting rated fuel economy.

What about a 0w-20 like Mobil 1? That should offer a nice compromise between noise and MPG's. Our Fit likes M1 0w-20 just fine.

I asked if I could use 0w20 at the dealer and Head Office both said no as it was not tested in the engine.

I have to drive like a grandpa to keep that mpg.
Like I said the FF was amazing oil, I want to know what it was so I can try it again (to see if I can attain the same amazing mileage).
Dealer supplied oil was nothing like the FF.
I dont do burn and coast unless there is little traffic so I cant do it very often.

Last edited:
We have an 09 KIA Rondo which has the Hyundai 2.4l Theta II engine. It's a great car, but it is also a little noisy. Most engines with a timing chain will be a little noisier. My GM Ecotecs have been the same way.

I've been considering an Elantra as a result of how pleased I am with the KIA.

It looks like you have the 1.8l NU engine, which I believe is a newer / smaller version off the Theta II.

KIA / Hyundai are making really excellent and economical cars.

Originally Posted By: UberxG
Factory fill for Hyundai I believe is quaker state.
Correct. It was confirmed on an owner's forum in an email from Hyundai, the factory fill is QSUD 5w20.

I'm currently running PP in my 2012 Elantra and it doesn't seem to be running as smooth as my last fill which was VSP. I'm thinking of switching back.

Last edited:
I asked if I could use 0w20 at the dealer and Head Office both said no as it was not tested in the engine.

How exactly did you phrase your question to them?

Honestly, as long as you are still doing their normal oil change interval with the oil, and it meets the SM/SN spec that the owners manual says it needs to meet, they can't say anything about the oil you used, warranty wise.

Now, if you were trying to use the 0W-20 oil, and then going with 15k oil change intervals, then they can deny any warranty claim they felt like.

BC.

Rules must be different in Canada.
I asked if I could run 0w20 in place of 5w20 with same oil spec same oci they said no.
If you can find anything that states they cant tell me not to do it, it would be great.

Koz1,
The FF may have allowed the engine to rev more freely and feel more responsive due to being a FF 5W20 and the assembly lube also. Just a mention!

Ya never know what the dealer used for oil when you brought it in for service. They can tell you anything and used something else completely...Who's the wiser?

Was the VSP 5W20 supplied by you to the dealer of did you change the oil yourself at 10000 kms?

Last edited:
Its definitely official that the engine is much more quiet with VSP My wife got in the car and asked if it was running she could not hear it, compared to why is the engine so noisy with the other oils.
My wife deos not comment on vehicle issues or performance unless there is a drastic change.
I think I am still going to try QSUD on the next change just to see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back