My experience with different motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to put the dealer oil every 5.000 km It was Kendal GT1:

The car was going in horrible way noisy and bad fuel mileage.

Than I decided to change the oil to another place I put petrol Canada full syntetic:

The car changed totally much more quite better mileage and the engine seemed more powerful.

And now just for a case i put AMSOIL ASL I was expecting no difference compared to petrol Canada synthetic, but surprisingly the car is even more smooth,I'm really surprised see another improvement in the car.

I will stick with AMSOIL especially because I prefer long oil changes.

Traitor!

You were using an EXCELLENT Canadian made oil, and you dropped it, and went for an American-made oil...I thought it was cool that you and I were one of the few people on the board that used PC oil.

You should be ashamed....

:p

The local Saturn dealer has been putting in bulk PetroCanada Supreme 5W-30 in my parents' SL2s (1998 & 2001). For engines that are notorious for being oil burners, neither car uses more than 1L/10,000 km. I was going to switch them over to 0W-30 Esso XD-3 Extra at their next oil changes. I would hope that XD-3 is also Canadian-made.

Well, I guess if you want to be country loyal, ESSO is part of EXXON, and EXXON is an American Company.

Ship me some PC synthetic, I will use it down here. It is a very good oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Traitor!

You were using an EXCELLENT Canadian made oil, and you dropped it, and went for an American-made oil...I thought it was cool that you and I were one of the few people on the board that used PC oil.

You should be ashamed....

:p

I did just for a case.

Petrol Canada is an excellent oil I totally agree but the first impression on my car is that with AMSOIL the performance of car is even better.

I put it less than a week ago so I can't say on the mileage but if even the mileage is better I will definitely switch to AMSOIL.

Just use whatever works.

I hear the PC oil is good, but lets be honest, I can only get it at gas stations and pay full price? I don't think so. Pennz YB is on at Wallyworld again for like $11 for 5L (CDN). Can't beat that.

Quote:
I will stick with AMSOIL especially because I prefer long oil changes.

Be careful. Long oil change intervals with Amsoil (or anything else) are only possible if the testing lab says that the oil is still good.

Here's info on Amsoil good for 14k, "Amsoil is done! The oil exceeded a year in service, with 14,000 miles on the ticker, and no filter change! Well, if the year hadn't ended, we would have had to change the filter now -- it finally reached our insolubles cap, 2,000 miles after Mobil 1. The main thing that stands out on this, our final Amsoil sample, is the ridiculous viscosity. This 5W30 oil has now thickened out to a 15W40 -- argue whether it matters if you like, but we believe engine builders spec an oil for a reason, and this oil is far, far thicker now than intended for the LS1. Switching to our flush Mobil 1 netted a nearly instant 10% improvement in fuel economy, and the engine runs a heckuva lot smoother too. To Amsoil's credit, wear metals remain in check,"
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

And, 14,000 miles sure ain't bad, even if the oil did thicken to 15W-40 viscosity.

A singular case, 5 years ago, in a GM engine with problems. Boy that's a good example. Now, go look at the UOA's since 2005. How many do we have with examples of viscosity increase?

that's a [censored] example of a problem.

One isolated analysis. Real helpful to the OP.

I for one am a long term Amsoil user in a fleet and have raised many a vehicle from birth to over 300k miles and still going strong.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
A singular case, 5 years ago, in a GM engine with problems. Boy that's a good example. Now, go look at the UOA's since 2005. How many do we have with examples of viscosity increase?

Pablo,

What 'problems' did the oil life study's Camaro have?

First I've heard that - would love to hear more!

Other than the obvious GM Copper "problem", the car had blow-by, fuel, tuning and emissions issues. Both oils had to endure this, well except the M1 got the filter and extra top-up oil, and the Amsoil got the end part of it, but it's hardly a good example.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Canada is a part of North AMERICA...

When did this happen??

Somewhere around 200 years ago.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: edvanp
Originally Posted By: Tortured_Soul
Canada is a part of North AMERICA...

When did this happen??

Somewhere around 200 years ago.
21.gif

Where was it before? How do you move something as big as Canada?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Pablo,

What 'problems' did the oil life study's Camaro have?

First I've heard that - would love to hear more!

That whole camaro test case was a blast to watch (read). I was watching that study as it took place - considered sponsoring one of their UOAs - the study had some issues (the fact that they were topping off the oil (M1 and on the Amsoil study) at once/1k miles (when doing the sample and due to consumption) really made the TBN a convoluted story) - but anyway, props to those guys - I think they had a big following watching them on the web.

And concerning the visc increase in Amsoil - that was a previous formulation of Amsoil - Amsoil has since corrected that "issue".

For those who didn't follow that study - they ran M1 (doing a UOA/1k miles) until Blackstone said - cease and desist. Then they did the same with Amsoil. They also chged the filters when Blackstone said the insolubles were reaching limit.

iirc - on M1, the filter made it to around 11 or 12k, and the oil made it to 18k. And on Amsoil, the year was up at the 14k mark (but it did make it that far).

Is this about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back