My dodge truck got a new chinese carb for $70

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dromedary, to be specific.

So winter's over and I got time to think about the first season plowing with my 1985 W250. Near the end it was getting a little rough freeing up a foot to goose the gas to keep it from stalling. It is a stick shift after all and I have enough going on plowing snow. Don't need it breaking down and blocking traffic on my one-lane street.

I grabbed the Holley 2280 non-computerized carb off it to see if maybe a gasket kit and some cleaning would benefit it. It was a little rusty inside and I said, nuts to this, and went shopping. The float didn't seem like it was sticking and the jets didn't look clogged but I'm not a wizard at these things so I pried the wallet open... a little.

Ebay had a "Rally" carb I considered but then Amazon came through with the "Dromedary". It is from all pictures the same stupid thing, a "Carter style". Ebay vendor claims compatibility up to 1985 while Amazon dropped off at 1980. Regardless, I don't have a smog test to pass, so I figured, whatever.

The old carb sat on a 1/2 thick fibrous gasket, and kind of imprinted its pattern onto said gasket. New carb came with two thin ones. Stuck one underneath and tweaked the choke rod coming out of the manifold to an appropriate length. The throttle lever was dangerously close to the "mushroom" part of the EGR valve so I bent it a millimeter.

Sadly, the hose barbs aren't in the same places. The big guys like PCV are in the same spots and work fine but the little guys aren't. Dodge used prebent plastic lines, and, sadly, integrated them into an electrical wiring harness, making chasing them down a chore. (I haven't yet looked for an underhood label.) There is also some sort of crazy amplifier with a bunch of hoses that runs off this thin line. I don't care if I don't have EGR etc but I do want timing advance to work right. Will have to throw a timing light on this and check to see.

So how's it run? More amazing than I've ever heard it! The idle mix screws were good from the factory but I reset them to 1.5 turns out. Truck has a very nice consistent idle and all the adjustment screws work intuitively. Choke comes off like expected. In short, it works. I'll never be able to report peak power or MPG but felt like I had to throw the existence of this thing out there...

Minor adjustments for a new carb on a 33-year-old truck and it's running great?

WIN.
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
What is the Dromdary copied from? The Chinese never invent anything.

Likely a Carter, as indicated in the OP.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Likely a Carter, as indicated in the OP.

Which model Carter? That's what I'm wondering.

Seems to be the BBD.

I would have purchased a carb kit, float and perhaps a new choke pull-off from RA or the local FLAPS, but that's obviously not for you.
A lot of the local grain farmers who still have the C60 (Chev) or the F600 Fords have had decent luck putting Edelbrock aftermarket carbs on them with decent results.
Hopefully, your carb will last as long as the original one.

What is the Dromedary copied from? The Chinese never invent anything.

Well, gunpowder and drilling for oil between them keep a lot of the posters here amused. Could also be there isn't a whole lot of point to "inventing" a carburettor.

That's great news for a $70 Chinese carburetor, they can sometimes be a nightmare. The good news is the job is an easy one if you do get a bad one.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I recommend installing a new replacement "Isolator" gasket under the carb to keep from boiling the fuel.
Yah that isolator is a useful part. If AMC used them, you know they were essential.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
I recommend installing a new replacement "Isolator" gasket under the carb to keep from boiling the fuel.
Yah that isolator is a useful part. If AMC used them, you know they were essential.
grin2.gif

I plow for 15 minutes at 5 mph! I don't think I'll get it hot enough to boil fuel but I'll keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: andyd
grin2.gif

I plow for 15 minutes at 5 mph! I don't think I'll get it hot enough to boil fuel but I'll keep that in mind.

I'd take a wild guess that you only do it when its cold out, too.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Well, gunpowder and drilling for oil between them keep a lot of the posters here amused. Could also be there isn't a whole lot of point to "inventing" a carburettor.

Don't forget corporate espionage. If they didn't invent it, they perfected it.
lol.gif

Well, to be fair patent only last like 17 years, and it is a carb for a 33 yr old car.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Well, to be fair patent only last like 17 years, and it is a carb for a 33 yr old car.

20...but who is counting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back