my detailing product line up (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is my line up and I guess we'll see from here. I decided to support my local pep-boys instead of ordering the professional products online.

I'm unsure about the ultimate compound. I may skip that step and go for the swirl x, then the color x. I've read its best to use the least aggressive product.

I'm clay'd up with Mother's clay. Now waiting on my PC 7424.

Ideas, opinions, concerns?

polishes.jpg

I like that you have a variety of products. Too many times novices buy multiple versions of the same thing. You have a little bit of everything that will cover your needs, help you solve problems, and get good results.

Good plan to start with a mild product and escalate from there. Work on your technique and detailing process in order to get the most out of what you're using.

Nice start.... time for some expensive microfiber towels ;-)

Meguire's is probably the best as far as over the counter stuff. The NXT wax sure goes on and off easy but you're lucky to get 2 months protection out of it. There's better products available such as Groit's Garage (my opinion only) but if I were buying over the counter - I'd go with Meguire's (and Mothers). I'm very glad you didn't go the Turtle Wax or NuFinish route!

Post back with your results, you will LOVE the PC!!

476s.jpg

Well, I COULD always make this my last step wax instead of the Tech Wax 2.0.
But, I once heard a silly rumor, that could be true, that if you stay within the product line, there is some sort of chemical similarity, maybe a synergistic effect that takes place.

My problem is that the 476s is INCREDIBLY HARD to remove and makes a mess with all the white powder. No doubt it is a tank in a can.

Opinions, suggestions, ideas, prophecies?

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob

But, I once heard a silly rumor, that could be true, that if you stay within the product line, there is some sort of chemical similarity, maybe a synergistic effect that takes place.

It's 98% [censored]. Believe me, every car care product mfr is desperate for you to buy into that idea. It's only true if you are using a product line that was specifically designed with the same chemical backbone. The only brand I can think of that is like this is Zaino. Even then, you can use whatever product you want in any part of the process.

Quote:
My problem is that the 476s is INCREDIBLY HARD to remove and makes a mess with all the white powder. No doubt it is a tank in a can.

Opinions, suggestions, ideas, prophecies?

Apply it thinly in the shade when the surface is cool to the touch, don't let it dry rock hard, remove within minutes with a microfiber towel. I dunno.... I keep hearing that about Collinite but haven't experienced it. I do agree that some waxes dry so hard you need a chisel to remove them, so wipe off the wax sooner than normal. Problem solved.

3M Performance Finish will last 6+ months. Shines well, Protects amazingly! (water beads for months). Goes on/off real easy too. Many Walmarts and AAP have discontinued it though in my area. I stocked up on it when it was selling for $5. Check it out.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Apply it thinly in the shade when the surface is cool to the touch, don't let it dry rock hard, remove within minutes with a microfiber towel. I dunno.... I keep hearing that about Collinite but haven't experienced it. I do agree that some waxes dry so hard you need a chisel to remove them, so wipe off the wax sooner than normal. Problem solved.

Wouldn't it smear if not fully hazed over and be just as hard to remove that way?
Would the wax have time to bond to the surface?

No it will not smear. Many waxes are applied and removed immediately according to instructions. As bretfraz said THIN is the way to go with all products not just Collinite's choices.
As mentioned, top quality microfiber towels are an absolute must.
Collinite's waxes are actually a sealant that contain carnauba which explains the longevity coupled with the nice look. In my experience nothing lasts longer.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz

Wouldn't it smear if not fully hazed over and be just as hard to remove that way?
Would the wax have time to bond to the surface?

It shouldn't smear if you apply it thinly. You might see some hazing/smearing if you apply it on a real humid day. A squirt of detail spray or water should clear that up.

When the wax is ready to remove, its bonded to the surface. No need to wait an excessive amount of time.

Looking good, yeah skip the Ult compound for now. If the paint is new and not that bad, I would just even try the Color X and NXT wax first.

Originally Posted By: daman
476s is not HARD to remove if put on thin by hand and on cool paint like said above,i always read this.

correct! I put it on too thick the first time plus I did the whole car before I decided to wipe it off, and it was a pita to get off. Next time I used it I forced myself to go thiner and it was much easier to get off, and I onlt did a max of three panels then removed

Originally Posted By: BigNick
3M Performance Finish will last 6+ months. Shines well, Protects amazingly! (water beads for months). Goes on/off real easy too. Many Walmarts and AAP have discontinued it though in my area. I stocked up on it when it was selling for $5. Check it out.

I passed up on it at the walmart here for $8 but got two of the cleaner wax for $5 a piece. Wishing I had gotten the 3M PF to try out

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I put it on too thick the first time plus I did the whole car before I decided to wipe it off, and it was a pita to get off.

I did the same thing before. I was so tired of trying to get it off by hand, I tried washing it off with soap and water. It still didn't give too much.

I sometimes have a hard time applying THIN.

I sometimes have a hard time applying THIN.

Its a hard thing to learn honestly. I still will sometimes apply too much and then have to break out the quick detailer spray to make it come off easily.

I find it hardest, when learning, to apply it thin at the start when the pad doesn't have some product built up in it to help it spread a bit easier. Just have to take it in baby step sections until you get the feel for it. I also use foam applicator pads. I personally find them to be the easiest to spread the product out, making it easier to get a thin coat on.

476s can be left on to dry /cure overnight if desired and it still comes off without any trouble with a microfiber towel. Over the years I've applied 476s like that and have never had a problem with removal. Now, if it is applied like spackling paste, then you have a problem.

I will more than likely use a DA polisher for everything except the final coat of wax.
I plan on hand applying it.

I've got to work on THIN!

I may try the "remove before completely dry" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back