My dad's new Honda...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, my dad just picked up a new 2004 Honda Accord V6 a few weeks back. If my memory serves me correct, Honda's oil in new cars is really rich in moly?

When should we do the first oil change? Mostly short trips...maybe 70 city/30 highway. It calls for 5w-20 (like my GF's Mustang). I'd like to do a synthetic in it, if possible. M1 5w-30?

Doesn't get too cold here in the Bay Area.

Thanks guys,
Nathan

EDIT: I did a search...okay, how about some info on the engine.

[ May 21, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Stealth26 ]

Honda V6 VTEC engine, variable timing, 240 crank HP. Yours is what they may refer to as the 7th generation Honda. The 6th generation Honda had transmission problems galore. The jury is still out on the 7 Gen's as they are relatively new. Keep your "feel" out for the transmission, Honda swears they have fixed the problem. The 5W-20 has been much discussed here. I have an 02 with the same oil specs but do indeed run the M1 5W-30 and change out every 7K. UOA's have proven that this is a good number to change at. Using the PureOne filter. I light of the trans problems, I would change out the trans fluid every 30K miles, even though the manual says 100K. There should be a trans. drain plug on the drivers side that comes off with a 3/8ths rachet. Should take 3 quarts, might want to double check that on the gen7's. Stick with Honda ATF. I believe this year the Accords went with the 5 speed automatics so they will indeed be a different beast than the 4 speed autos that are in the Gen6's.

I would change the ATF every 15k b/c you'll only get 1/2 of the fluid out every drain. And yes I think it's better to change every 15k miles with 3 quarts than 30k with a flush & use 6 quarts. Afterall Accords don't have a filter to change.

I have an 02 Accord V6 also. Ditto the advice so far. I'm doing 3 qts AT fluid every 25K as added insurance as others mentioned. I like a little thicker semi-syns or full-syn oil rather than the recomended 5w20s in these V6s, especially in warm summer climates. M1 5/10w-30 or equivalent full syns would do nicely, IMHO. I'm even going to try German Castrol 0w-30 as an experiment for the summer, which is slightly thicker still. Enjoy
smile.gif

Very cool, thanks guys!

I wasn't aware of the tranny issue.

So far he loves the car: the styling, inside, acceleration, etc.

His only concern is starting the car where it seems to take a little longer to start then other cars.

I have been looking at used Civics lately, possibly with the continuously variable transmission (CVT).
Do you know what specific problems Honda has had with the transmissions?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Honda V6 VTEC engine, variable timing, 240 crank HP. Yours is what they may refer to as the 7th generation Honda. The 6th generation Honda had transmission problems galore. The jury is still out on the 7 Gen's as they are relatively new. Keep your "feel" out for the transmission, Honda swears they have fixed the problem. The 5W-20 has been much discussed here. I have an 02 with the same oil specs but do indeed run the M1 5W-30 and change out every 7K. UOA's have proven that this is a good number to change at. Using the PureOne filter. I light of the trans problems, I would change out the trans fluid every 30K miles, even though the manual says 100K. There should be a trans. drain plug on the drivers side that comes off with a 3/8ths rachet. Should take 3 quarts, might want to double check that on the gen7's. Stick with Honda ATF. I believe this year the Accords went with the 5 speed automatics so they will indeed be a different beast than the 4 speed autos that are in the Gen6's.

I have been looking at used Civics lately, possibly with the continuously variable transmission (CVT).
Do you know what specific problems Honda has had with the transmissions?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:

I'm only basing this on what I have read.....the CVT trannies were not the most reliable. No personal experience on this, just a lot of reading.

I tested the ATF in my 2002 Acura RSX (with a 5-speed auto) at 30k mi and it was in fine shape. It was very lightly stressed and looked like it really could go 100,000mi. I'll test again at 60,000.

We're running Pennzoil dino 5W-20 in our 02 Accord V6, with a little LC and 132.

I agree with the others about using Honda ATF only, changing at least every 30K miles. I would recommend that you check it every 10-15K to see how it looks.

We run our tires at 40 psi, wear is good, MPG is better than the rating (both city and highway).

STSinNYC, how is your engine doing? What was it, you had the EGR valve replaced twice? And it was craping out and running extremely rich? Waz up dud?

427Z06, thanks for asking. The engine computer showed that cylinder 5 was missing. The shop pulled the fuel injectors, all the screens were clear. They tested the injector in another cylinder. They checked the O2 sensors. Nothing showed up. By process of elimination, they are pretty sure it's the ECM (computer); could also be the ignition system wiring but they think that is less likely. While I was there, another Accord owner was told his computer also had to be replaced.

I opened a case with American Honda. I ain't payin' for this problem on a two year old car. The ECM is covered by an 8 year/80K mile warranty. Next time the CEL "codes", they will replace the ECM. Will keep you apprised on the next episode of "The Honda Affair".

Yeah, keep us posted on the honda computer problem.I own a 2001 accord ex 51,000 miles.I bought it used.i do know honda extended the transmission warranty to 75,000 miles.I need to change the ATF soon.thanks, Jack.

"I wasn't aware of the tranny issue."
Your new vehicle is very nice. There have been real transmission problems. Do not worry too much but be informed and do the needed maintenance.

Here are some articles with some details on recent Honda and Acura Transmission problems.

American Honda Extends Warranties on Select Automatic Transmissions
Torrance, Calif., September 20, 2002 --- American Honda Motor Co., Inc. announced today it will provide extended warranties on approximately 1.2 million Honda and Acura models equipped with automatic transmissions due to problems that may result in premature wear or failure.

Vehicles covered by the extended warranty include:
· 2000 - 2001 Honda Accord, Odyssey and Prelude
· 2000 - 2002 and some 2003 Acura 3.2 TL
2001 - 2002 and some 2003 Acura 3.2 CL

http://world.honda.com/news/2002/4020920.html

There is a recall from April 2004.
American Honda To Recall Certain Light Truck Vehicles to Repair Automatic Transmission
Torrance, Calif. 04/14/2004 -- American Honda Motor Co., Inc., today announced a voluntary recall of certain Honda and Acura light truck models equipped with V6 engines and five-speed automatic transmissions to inspect and repair a potential defect in the transmission.
The recall involves approximately 600,000 light trucks manufactured in the U.S. and Canada. Affected models include certain model year 2002, 2003 and early 2004 Honda Odyssey minivans; 2003 and early 2004 Honda Pilots; and 2001 and 2002 Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles.
The situation is created by insufficient lubrication of the transmission's secondary shaft second gear that can occur under certain driving conditions. Prolonged operation under these conditions can lead to heat build-up and under certain circumstances may eventually result in chipped or broken gear teeth or breakage of the gear. In the event of a chipped or broken tooth, the owner will likely experience abnormal noise from the transmission and seek repairs. In rare instances, this condition may lead to gear breakage and possible locking of the vehicle's transmission, creating a potential safety hazard.
This more severe condition is extremely rare and affects only vehicles with high mileage. To date, the company's records indicate only ten confirmed instances in the United States and Canada of this type of transmission failure, with no injuries or accidents as a result.

odyclub.com has many threads about transmission problems in all years. This includes the 4 speed and 5 speed models.
A poll on odyclub.com has 23.79% of voters stating that they did have a transmission problem even on 2002-2003 models.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showt...8762be&threadid=10818&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

And there is the famous Acura TL and CL transmission issue with some readers having multiple transmission replacements.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6135042fe331850695c8942be61fd717&threadid=104677

And here is another thread.
“Well I hate to say it but add 1 more to the TL/CL tranny failures. My '01 CL trans crapped out just short of 36k & 35 months old. After almost 30 year of cars, this is my first car to have transmission problems. Something I expected from a Ford NOT Honda/Acura. At least I know could/should happen.”

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6135042fe331850695c8942be61fd717&threadid=97169

There also was a famous Los Angeles Times Article about the Acura TL transmission problem.
Honda's Unexpected Gear Shift

September 11 2002
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8268

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back