My coworkers father passed

My co workers father passed away this morning. Marvin Zeleskey was a WWII and Korea War veteran. 91 years old. After Korea; he settled near Carnegie PA, worked for Mobil welding pipes on pipelines, then was a fabrication supervisor. Had 35 years with Mobil when he retired.

I had the pleasure of meeting him couple of times. He never spoke of what he witnessed in his service time. I last visited him 3 weeks ago as he was living with JEFFS brother and his mind was sharp as a tack.

I helped my co worker with the veterans to have a military service.

I had thought of cutting some filters but this just sucks.

My co workers father passed away this morning. Marvin Zeleskey was a WWII and Korea War veteran. 91 years old. After Korea; he settled near Carnegie PA, worked for Mobil welding pipes on pipelines, then was a fabrication supervisor. Had 35 years with Mobil when he retired.

I had the pleasure of meeting him couple of times. He never spoke of what he witnessed in his service time. I last visited him 3 weeks ago as he was living with JEFFS brother and his mind was sharp as a tack.

Not many of that generation left. Sorry for the loss. Men of that generation were of a very special cut- a very well-deserved nickname "the greatest generation".

WWII had terrible hardships. The Korean war did also. I am sadden for our country to lose a man like Mr. Zeleskey. It is great you took the time to visit Mr. Zeleskey as recently as three weeks ago. Many seem to be "too busy" to spend time with senior citizens.

My Wife makes holiday care packages for unknown senior citizens that live in nursing homes. She makes the care packages with mainly dollar store items, I wish she would make better quality packages, but she gets told how much fun the senior ladies like her holiday packages.

Last edited:
TAPS for an old soldier.

1670691671383.jpg

Not many of that generation left. Sorry for the loss. Men of that generation were of a very special cut- a very well-deserved nickname "the greatest generation".

WWII had terrible hardships. The Korean war did also. I am sadden for our country to lose a man like Mr. Zeleskey. It is great you took the time to visit Mr. Zeleskey as recently as three weeks ago. Many seem to be "too busy" to spend time with senior citizens. My Wife makes holiday care packages for unknown senior citizens that live in nursing homes. She makes the care packages with mainly dollar store items, I wish she would make better quality packages, but she gets told how much fun the senior ladies like her holiday packages.

GON: god bless you and your wife. That is wonderful of your wife to do this.

RIP and respect for Mr. Zelensky. Did his duty and went on with life. I have a 93 year old neighbor who's a WW2 veteran. He's still sharp and still drives 😳 but his body is wearing out. He put on his uniform and drove to the Veterans Day parade and took part. Try to spend as much time with him as I can listening to stories and helping out around his house as much as he'll let me. I just saw him yesterday and had a good conversation. If you can spend time with one of these elders it's like being given treasure.

My mother was an army nurse in WW2. She spent her tour working at a hospital in Italy taking care of the wounded soldiers. She told stories of the Germans bombing the town using the light from the eruptions on Mt. Vesuvius. I tried to get her to take a seat on an Honor Flight to visit the WW2 memorial in DC but she was too sick to ever go. She died in 2015. RIP Capt. RMS US Army Nurse Corps.

1670695341991.jpg

This man probably didn't complain about much and if he did it was normal authority gripe as we are all wont to do.

Sharp as a tack? That was a good run! My parents just got into their 90's. and sometimes sharp, sometimes not so much.

90 is a large barrier for the human body and mind. God speed and prayers for his family.

My cousins and I are all pushing 80. The last of the previous, greatest generation gave it up about 2005. When the last one died, there was no one to answer questions about the family. Interesting things have come up since then. One aunt spent her life complaining that she was treated badly by her mother because she was grandpa's illigitimate neice. Turns out she was genetic family but her younger sister was grandma's illigitimate neice. Only found out about that because of online familial DNA testing. Did my mother's family know or did this secret die with grandma and grandpa? Be great to go back and ask some questions, but it's too late now. Ask lots of questions of your elders while you still can, unless you're real good at channeling the dead.

My mother was an army nurse in WW2. She spent her tour working at a hospital in Italy taking care of the wounded soldiers. She told stories of the Germans bombing the town using the light from the eruptions on Mt. Vesuvius. I tried to get her to take a seat on an Honor Flight to visit the WW2 memorial in DC but she was too sick to ever go. She died in 2015. RIP Capt. RMS US Army Nurse Corps.

View attachment 130059
PP1,

Thanks for sharing about your Mother's WWII service. I can't imagine what she had to deal with and experience. I suspect the job is no easier today, but some of the tools and drugs reduce some of the pain a lot more efficiently/ effectively.

I studied in person the WWII battlefields of Italy in 2005. Unbelievable battles. And of note, the Canadians were deep on the offensive in Italy, and suffered many losses.

My Dad is 94 years old and a Korean War Veteran. He was an Army Ranger.
Never talked about it much, except in the last few years, if I questioned him.

He could still speak the language, "Stop or I will shoot" LOL

The old boy is going down quick. Hope my younger Brother can nurse him along for one last Christmas together.

They missed my Daughter's wedding in September because he fell and got beat up pretty bad.

God bless my younger Brother. Moved in with Dad and takes care of him. I'm around 90 miles away and not much help.
Beats a nursing home for sure.

My Dad is 94 years old and a Korean War Veteran. He was an Army Ranger.
Never talked about it much, except in the last few years, if I questioned him.

He could still speak the language, "Stop or I will shoot" LOL

The old boy is going down quick. Hope my younger Brother can nurse him along for one last Christmas together.

They missed my Daughter's wedding in September because he fell and got beat up pretty bad.

God bless my younger Brother. Moved in with Dad and takes care of him. I'm around 90 miles away and not much help.
Beats a nursing home for sure.

Thank You sir for sharing. The greatest generation folks are fading fast. There are 2 that are 79 and 82 that still volunteer with me at local food bank and one across river in Monaca PA

Reactions: GON
If you can find the online obituary, post a link.
I can't find it.

Done, I apologize for getting his name wrong also.

My grandfather never spoke of WWII either. Glad to hear you were able to visit with him before he passed.

Back