My cases of Chevron "exotica" have arrived...

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Yep, I've been notified my 5 cases (each) of Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30 and Delo 400 10W-30 are ready for pickup... and it only took four months to get them! I almost forgot I'd ordered them.

I'm also picking up some Delo Gear Lube 80W-90 and Delo Grease #2.

I like Delo.
patriot.gif

twak.gif
grin.gif

What did they have to do, refine it for you ...or repackage some XD-3 (get it from Canada)
confused.gif

Big O Dave,

I wanted to respond to this from where you originally posted it and saw that it was closed and I wasn't sure why. I PM'd you.

My question was about the 0W-30 and 10W-30 you ordered it in. Are you planning on mixing these, or are you going to use them in different times of the year?

My guess is both were obscure from a distribution standpoint. 30 weights in HDEO are not common. Now he can have his own "synth vs. dino" debate ...and all the anxieties that it includes as a free bonus.

Not all of us are luck enough to have this opportunity for such self infflicted torture
smile.gif

Good thing you didn't order straight SAE-30. You'd be
pat.gif
mad.gif
pat.gif
mad.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif
right around now with the autozone situation.

Who knows, maybe they were waiting on a katrina-affected additive. I know the havoline production slowed.
dunno.gif

Dave, I gotta ask. Where did you order these oils from? My distributors around here can only order it in pallet lots or so they say. Info would be appreciated. Thanx!!

I'm gonna monitor this thread ... I want to see how much this stuff cost.

I wanted to get some last fall for the winter we are in now. I made about a dozen calls to dealers around here ... some didn't handle lubes, some wouldn't call me back ... I gave up. All I wantted was 1 case.
dunno.gif

I really want to see a UOA with this stuff ... assuming you are starting with a clean motor.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Now he can have his own "synth vs. dino" debate ...

Yep, Gary! It'll just be one more "internal conflict" for me to deal with. Having "issues" makes life more interesting.
shocked.gif

To answer other questions, here is the exact verbage from my fax:

quote:

Sorry for the delay - Chevron has us on allocation.

I'm not sure what THAT means.
dunno.gif

Anyway, I did not get much (if any) of a break in the pricing, probably due to the low volume of my order:

Chevron Delo 400 10W-30 (case of 12 quarts) - $7.9212 per gallon ($1.98 per quart)

Chevron Delo 400 Syn 0W-30 (case of 12 quarts) - $17.71 per gallon ($4.43 per quart)

I bought both because one of my vehicles is a bad leaker, and I am too lazy to fix it. I don't want to waste syn on it right now. Besides, the 10W-30 is great for ARX treatments, so it's nice to have around.

API: the syn is SH (and I'm not sure what the Diesel rating is until I see the bottle) and the 10W-30 is SJ/CI-4.

Chevron does not market the 0W-30 at all toward regular, non-Arctic users. Per Chevron's product data sheet:

quote:

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils are recommended for use in diesel and four-stroke cycle gasoline engines, torque converters, gear cases, and hydraulic systems operating year-round in arctic-type climates (bold added for emphasis)

I did use it, though, for years here in SoCal, and had excellent results (in particular, no Chevrolet small-block smoke puffs at startup, even after a LOT of miles, a first for me).

Delo 400 Syn 0W-30 is a superb oil for any climate, but Chevron doesn't market it that way. Too bad. It's the American GC.
tongue.gif

And, it probably did have to come from the Yukon or someplace like that, even though it is made in NoCal. They just do not ship it south, except for zealots like me.
cool.gif

"Chevron does not market the 0W-30 at all toward regular, non-Arctic users."

They don't have to - the 'regular' Supreme synthetic 5W-30 has great cold-temp numbers - 3700cst @-30.

Similar to Pennzoil (no 0W-30 PP), they basically don't see a need for a PCMO 0W-30 - the 5W-30 will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back