My cars just seem to run better on PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried a few different oil types (dino, blend) and mixes. My unscientific opinion is PP makes the engines run the best.

Maybe its in my head, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
smile.gif

I hope you have tried many oils to make such claims. I can honestly say that my Toyota runs the "best" on any dino. Runs smooth and quiet. Synthetic is more buzzy. Luckily I dont care based on engine noise and use synthetic anyway.

I totally agree with you that some oils run better than others in different cars. My Altima runs somewhat rough on QSUD totally the worse on Amsoil full syn, but PU tends to run very smoothly. Trust me I would rather have QSUD be the oil since it is $8 cheaper around here (wallyworld).

I know they all would probably protect the engine equally, so I am not bashing in any way, just an observance.

Type of car?

And what about PU?

Ive heard people say their cars run the best on Royal Purple. aquariuscsm says that about his Z.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Each car has its chosen oil yours must be PP. Glad you found that out, do you plan on sticking with it or trying others still??

I plan on sticking with PP or possibly trying ultra

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Type of car?

And what about PU?

Ive heard people say their cars run the best on Royal Purple. aquariuscsm says that about his Z.

Honda Fit Sport 2008 w/26K miles. I tend to run it hard (rev's vary alot especially on freeway hill climbs and stop/go traffic)

I may try PU

Originally Posted By: 45ACP

Yep,it ran REALLY smooth on RP 20W50. Ran like total [censored] on RP 10W40. Runs smooth as silk on M1 10W40HM. There`s definitely a difference in oils vs engine smoothness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mozart
Tried a few different oil types (dino, blend) and mixes. My unscientific opinion is PP makes the engines run the best.

Maybe its in my head, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it
smile.gif

Sounds like you have found an oil that is working for you.

I actually have the opposite results, and have not had luck with PP in a few vehicles. Not saying it is a bad oil because it seems to do well in many vehicles according to posted UOAs. I have it in my 2011 HHR 2.2 5 Speed and it was ok for a while but after about 2,000 miles the engine got noisy. I also had this same issue with a Ford Freestyle that I used to have and a Ford Fivehundred as well. Can't say they performed any worse but they were noticeably noisier. Kept the oil in just the same and was not dissatisfied with the cleanliness of the oil after the 7500k OCI. Now I have it in the new HHR since I believe it was on the Dexos1 list but not too pleased with how the engine sounds. May try something else next time. I may give it a shot in my Saturn since it has just about the same engine and see if it makes that one louder. I had Castrol Edge in the HHR last OCI and it was silent.
I used to have that issue with Mobil 1 in my 2000 Camaro LS1 but I know that oil was known to cause that in those engines so I was not worried. Anyone else have this happen to them with the PP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I have it in my 2011 HHR 2.2 5 Speed and it was ok for a while but after about 2,000 miles the engine got noisy. I also had this same issue with a Ford Freestyle that I used to have and a Ford Fivehundred as well. Can't say they performed any worse but they were noticeably noisier.

That's a common issue with some brands of oils. Usually you gotta go one step
up in viscosity when switching to a synthetic if you want to avoid the noise.

Typicaly, I buy just about any brand name oil in a 5W30. I have lots of 5W20 for my daughters mazda3 and some 10W30 and 10W40 straggler qts purchaced from a discount shelf(dino/synthetic).

And I have to tell ya, any engine that I have ever owned ran(seat of the pants) smoother/quieter on heavier oils such as anything 40 wgt. MPG may have suffered a bit on the heavier oil but, the engines seemed really creamy smooth.

And in my engines, there are more viberations, harmonics, just audiable sounds when using the required oils! They're not noisy per/say, the sounds are just there.

+1.
I have run heavier oils in most of our cars, and they do seem smoother and quieter on a 40 or 50 grade oil.
Not suitable for winter, of course, except for the BMW, which specs a 10W-40 down to something like -20F, and isn't driven during the road salt months anyway.
Fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer all that much either.
On a related note, do you think most oils seem smoother and quieter at the start of an OCI than they do at the end, or is that just my imagination?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Usually you gotta go one step
up in viscosity when switching to a synthetic if you want to avoid the noise.

^^2nd. RP 10W40 seemed REALLY thin and RP 20W50 seemed thin for a 20W50 as well.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
+1.
I have run heavier oils in most of our cars, and they do seem smoother and quieter on a 40 or 50 grade oil.
Not suitable for winter, of course, except for the BMW, which specs a 10W-40 down to something like -20F, and isn't driven during the road salt months anyway.
Fuel economy doesn't seem to suffer all that much either.
On a related note, do you think most oils seem smoother and quieter at the start of an OCI than they do at the end, or is that just my imagination?

Sometimes! Seems as though fresh oil/filter are quietest. What I really notice is that my MPG is always best on the last several tankfulls of gas just before my next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back