My car doesn't have a cabin air filter?

because i cant find a part number for it. i've searched Wix and elsewhere and im not coming up with anything. i thought all cars had one, but maybe im wrong? car is a 1997 Grand Am

No. In fact only "lux" cars had them in the 1990's. (I'm sure I'll get [censored] for this) Lots of cars have them now. Not sure which car was the first ever to have a real cabin filter.

My 2001 Honda Odyssey has one, the first one I've had. It varies with brand and model. Might be able to look at filter manufacturer site and see which cars have one....

Wix site Says they are on most cars since about year 2000. Probably don't have one if the car doesn't have a/c. If you read near the bottom they mention that this has become a big profit item for fast lube places.....

Originally Posted By: John K
If you read near the bottom they mention that this has become a big profit item for fast lube places.....
That's why I resisted changing my wife's Sonata, it seemed just like a moneymaker. But after taking one out and seeing how filthy it was, seems like a good idea. John

Mau

I know 99 and up honda's have em... My prelude 97 and 98 did not have cabin filters but my 99-01 does, its a f'ing expensive change too for that car as its 2 filters and the first time you change it you have to cut some plastic bits....

Various family cars: '96 and '99 Taurus: both had them '06 Ford Fusion does not, but has a seat filter (!) '08 RAV4 and '09 Corolla: both use the same filter.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Various family cars: '96 and '99 Taurus: both had them '06 Ford Fusion does not, but has a seat filter (!) '08 RAV4 and '09 Corolla: both use the same filter.
seat filter??? you eat alot of burritos???

I think it's more of a "minivan" thing. My Freestar had one -- and I really liked it. None of my other Fords have one. At first I thought they were just a scam to get more $ out of the user. However, it really cut down on the amount of dust on the interior (dash).

I bought a wire backed furnace filter at Lowes and cut it to size for my Accord and tC. I will have 6 filters for $9.99 purchase.

Last edited:
 Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I think it's more of a "minivan" thing. My Freestar had one -- and I really liked it. None of my other Fords have one. At first I thought they were just a scam to get more $ out of the user. However, it really cut down on the amount of dust on the interior (dash).
"Minivan thing"? LOL I don't think anyone would call a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Sentra a minivan - yet I've replaced the cabin air filters in these vehicles of various family members. My 05 Chevy Trailblazer EXT does not have one, neither does my 04 Mercury Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted By: odessit
I bought a wire backed furnace filter at Lowes and cut it to size for my Accord and tC. I will have 6 filters for $9.99 purchase.
Good idea. The cheapskate in me likes it. I paid $20 for a cabin filter last year -- what a sucker I am!

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
 Originally Posted By: kkreit01
"Minivan thing"? LOL I don't think anyone would call a Toyota Camry or a Nissan Sentra a minivan - yet I've replaced the cabin air filters in these vehicles of various family members. My 05 Chevy Trailblazer EXT does not have one, neither does my 04 Mercury Grand Marquis.
I know there are cars that also have them. However, it seems that every minivan does. I found it odd that Ford put one in their minivans, but not Fusion, Escapes, Explorers, etc. I would like one in every vehicle -- as long as you don't need a shop manual (and 1 hr of free time) to replace.