My car burns oil. Should I replace the spark plugs with cheaper ones?

I have a 2000 corolla that burns oil. I recently checked the plugs and I definitely need new ones. I am aware that I should use iridium NGK plugs normally BUT my car burns quite a bit of oil and the current plugs are taking a toll on the burning oil for sure. The previous owner changed them to ngk plugs some time ago. I would just hate to spend $14 a plug and only have them last 10-20k miles. Instead, should I buy cheaper plugs because of this issue? If so, which plugs? Thanks

(Fixing the oil burning problem is not feasible to me currently. I buy 5 quarts of pennzoil oil from Home Depot for $17 every month or two. My cat is already removed.)

I have a 2000 corolla that burns oil. I recently checked the plugs and I definitely need new ones. I am aware that I should use iridium NGK plugs normally BUT my car burns quite a bit of oil and the current plugs are taking a toll on the burning oil for sure. The previous owner changed them to ngk plugs some time ago. I would just hate to spend $14 a plug and only have them last 10-20k miles. Instead, should I buy cheaper plugs because of this issue? If so, which plugs? Thanks
What does that mean exactly? I don’t understand.

Why not address the oil burning issue?
This was that thread I think:

This was that thread I think:

Time to move on to a new car.

(Fixing the oil burning problem is not feasible to me currently. I buy 5 quarts of pennzoil oil from Home Depot for $17 every month or two. My cat is already removed.)

Welcome to your 1ZZ-FE engine. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine

3 Common 1ZZ-FE Engine Problems
A few of the most common problems on the Toyota 1ZZ-FE 1.8 inline-4 include:

Oil Consumption
Timing chain tensioner oil leak
Engine control module (ECM)

Hey... it isn't the plugs.

OP, do you know why engines "burn" or maybe even "consume" oil?

Do you mean that the oil burning is taking a toll on the plugs?

I just checked Rockauto, and the NGK 3440 Laser Iridium for this car is $6.46. ACDelco 41800 double platinum is $5.28, and there's a $2 per plug rebate from ACDelco. The AC plugs are usually reboxed NGKs or Densos.

Just pull the plugs, clean and re-gap. Are they in good shape other than dirty?

Try a piston soak? May help if you need to extend life of car a bit. I'm facing same thing with my sons 2014 Kia Rio. Need it to last until next year.

He probably means the plugs are getting fouled out from the oil burning. In that case, yes, I would buy cheaper plugs and maybe also use thicker oil to slow consumption, like a 10w40 or 15w40.

Per your previous thread you are burning a quart of oil every 400 miles. No plug is going to last long under those conditions.
I think that's what the thread starter is saying. If he's not in a position to replace or repair that engine, he can get by for a while by watching and topping up his oil level. I've been in that position too (an oil burner and no money) so I know how it feels. When it starts smoking it will be too embarrassing to drive.

What would be wrong with putting in a set of traditional (but inexpensive) copper electrode plugs. As you say, nothing is going to last anyway and they're generally good for 10,000 miles. I'd go with a slightly hotter plug too.

The experts in the group will be able suggest a brand and specific plug.

If he's not already doing so, a good solid 10W-30 conventional oil would also fit the bill.

Your car is 22 years old, and burning a lot of oil.

Just throw a can of RESTORE in there to see if that will help compression, and help with burning oil.

Also, run some 15w40 Diesel Oil in it....

You really have nothing to lose by trying this. Otherwise, the car is due for the junkyard

I'd use coppers if they truly weren't going to last longer than that. BUT as someone suggested couldn't you just wire brush them and reinstall?

I wouldn't go hotter - I'd be afraid of ping but that's just me and my past experiences with a car or two that liked to ping.

Your car is 22 years old, and burning a lot of oil.

Just throw a can of RESTORE in there to see if that will help compression, and help with burning oil.

Also, run some 15w40 Diesel Oil in it....

You really have nothing to lose by trying this. Otherwise, the car is due for the junkyard

Additives may upset the fully formulated nature of the motor oil.

Back