My Camry met its fate on Friday nite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Friday nite a friend of mine & I were driving out in the State Park around my home. He was driving due to the fact I had acouple adult beverages. We were going approx. 45mph which was the speed limt for the road when 2 deer out of nowhere wandered right out in front of us. Next thing I know he is swerving to the left and right into a tree. Car totaled and like a "dumb [censored]" I didnt have collison or full insurance on the car because it was paid for and honestly didnt see it meeting its fate this way. Camry treated me real well and I would not think twice about buying another at a drop of a dime!! I told him afterwards, " should have just hit the [censored] deer!!"
frown.gif

luckily your friend wasnt hurt, since he is probably not on your insurance. Legally you could have lost your insurance and your car in the same night, if he was hurt and your insurance was sued.

Even if u had collision insurance they could have denied you due to your friend not being a named insured.

I dont know what your car was worth but a cab ride would have been a much more frugal choice.

Sorry to hear. Do you have the means to buy a replacement or are u going to use one of the vehicles in your signature?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
luckily your friend wasnt hurt, since he is probably not on your insurance. Legally you could have lost your insurance and your car in the same night, if he was hurt and your insurance was sued.

Even if u had collision insurance they could have denied you due to your friend not being a named insured.

Not true. His friend was obviously driving with his permission, and would have been covered.

Sorry about the crash. Hitting the deer would have resulted in less damage than hitting the tree but at about 45mph, it may not have likely made any net difference whether the car was totaled.

Thankful to hear that all are well. While I know how easy it is to get attached to vehicles, they are an appliance that transports us from "A" to "B." You and your buddy, (and yes, in the greater picture, even the deer), are priceless.

This is incorrect in every policy I have ever seen.

The friend is a permissive user.

OP, glad you and the friend are unhurt.

It is almost always a bad idea to try to miss the deer...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
First rule of driving in deer country-never veer for deer.

Correct.

Drive a bit slower in known deer areas and keep your eyes open at all times, scanning the ditches and shoulders. If one (or more) gets the drop on you, brake as much as you can without locking them up (if not equipped with ABS). If you can't get the car slowed enough to avoid hitting them- then whatever happens, happens. It's better than swerving into oncoming traffic or off into a nasty ditch/ravine... Or as your friend found out- a tree.

Yikes! Glad you both came out okay!

Ive swerved around deer twice in the CVLX. In both instances I knew I could make the maneuver with no fan fare and I did.

I had some friends hit a deer in their Equinox Monday evening. They were driving home from work in a 60mph zone and slammed into one. They were both okay, but I think the 'nox is a total. The whole right side of the front fascia is gone, the fender and hood are mangled and she mentioned the passenger door was difficult to open.

Last edited:
I've been told that swerving to miss a deer and hitting a tree is not covered under collision because you intentionally left the road surface.

I am glad you both were uninjured. Some of us try to be "cool" by going "Oh my god! Is the car alright?" Not cool.

The car gave its life to save yours.

And... would putting the car into a "spin" so that as much rear of the car hits the deer like a baseball bat motion work as well? Advanced driving/emergency situation: Put as much car between you and the obstacle as possible, for greater protection than a crumple zone and an airbag in front of glass windshield.

I have never been in this situation.

I dont know what your car was worth but a cab ride would have been a much more frugal choice.

As long as the insured didn't knowingly allow an unlicensed driver or suspended licensee operate his MV he should be a ok with his insurance. I was no angel "back" in my day so I give this dude lots of credit for doing the right thing and having his buddy drive because he had a few in him!

Sorry your Camry got totaled, but like mentioned, nothing drastic to miss the deer! Moose on the other hand......

Originally Posted By: thorromig
This past Friday nite a friend of mine & I were driving out in the State Park around my home. He was driving due to the fact I had acouple adult beverages. We were going approx. 45mph which was the speed limt for the road when 2 deer out of nowhere wandered right out in front of us. Next thing I know he is swerving to the left and right into a tree. Car totaled and like a "dumb [censored]" I didnt have collison or full insurance on the car because it was paid for and honestly didnt see it meeting its fate this way. Camry treated me real well and I would not think twice about buying another at a drop of a dime!! I told him afterwards, " should have just hit the [censored] deer!!"
frown.gif

My uncle once told me he decided to train himself to not swerve to avoid deer. Obviously slow down and try and avoid, but don't go off the road to avoid the deer.

Now a moose is another story.

Camry is a great car. I had 215K miles on a wagon I inherited from Dad before I sold it only because I liked my Jeep better and it was time for timing belt change.

You can get in trouble if a licensed driver *in your household* is not on your insurance.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can get in trouble if a licensed driver *in your household* is not on your insurance.

This has been my experirnce as well.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Camry. Glad no one was injured.

As dumb as it may sound, I really like fog lights in these situations. After I added them to my Accord, I really noticed how much illumination was added to the low and sides of the road. It has helped me a few times.

Sorry to hear about that. I guess 2006 did not have stability control to potentially save your tail. It has saved mine avoiding moose in my MDX. You veer and brake for moose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back