My Brother and his cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in Sept, I posted this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3866953/1
TLDR version, My Brother had Just traded in his 2013 Challenger(Hemi, R/T Blacktop) on an 2016 Ecoboost Mustang.

he had been complaining about the challenger "not fitting him well"(front of the seat hitting his leg funny, the center console hit his elbow at a wierd angle, etc.), and that "mustangs always seemed to fit him better", etc.

for a while, he really liked the Mustang, he even got gas mileage similar to his(then my) 05 Neon. The Seat started hurting his back, and it developed a driveline vibration, bad enough to shake the car when he put it on blocks.

so for the past month, the new mustang remained parked, and he drove his 06 Mustang(which he now remembers why he stopped driving in the first place)

he had talked about buying a WRX, after some Subie guys he works with tried to help him diagnose the vibration, and took him for a joyride in their Subarus.
then suddenly, he just started wishing he'd never sold the Challenger.

well, yesterday, he took a day off work, and went back to the same Dealer he had bought the Challenger from originally, and bought a 2015 Challenger R/T.
might be this one, but if not, one very similar:(R/T, Super Track Pack, Customer convenience group)
http://www.meadorchrysler.net/new/Dodge/...7670f1ccdfa.htm

6b0108c2dadf7ca3d782d81b6eee4eb5x.jpg

01bd0615c82f4d69481fc3b4862bb22bx.jpg

Last edited:
What ever floats your boat. There are worse things to spend (waste) your money on.

I knew a guy who bragged he never had bought tires or a battery for a car. Traded or sold them first.

We humans are wired to make a decision and then justify it. @thunderfog is probably right on the diagnosis.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Sounds like someone is addicted to buying new cars.

Or maybe he just likes the attention he gets from always having new toys.

I have a friend who recently bought an 09 Lexus LS sedan, simply on the fact I mentioned I'd like one as a daily driver for it's reliability and luxury features. He's currently being ridiculed for his decision by others in our social group for buying an old man's car but he easily has the funds to swap cars on a whim.

I find this behavior sad. Clearly they are not content with what they have and instead always feel they need to upgrade in order to prove themselves to others.

Instead of getting rid of a 2016 Mustang because his back hurt while in the car, he should have just gone to the doctor about the back pain. The car wasn't the problem

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Instead of getting rid of a 2016 Mustang because his back hurt while in the car, he should have just gone to the doctor about the back pain. The car wasn't the problem

True, Fords give you a pain in a different (but nearby) part of the anatomy. :)

(that's a JOKE people...)

I know a guy like that with pickups. Every one is going to be his last truck, and then he gets another new one "for the same payment".

Who knows, maybe this will be the last one. Or not.

Not my money. All the power to him.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I know a guy like that with pickups. Every one is going to be his last truck, and then he gets another new one "for the same payment".

in this case, there are no payments. the last vehicle he financed was his 2001 Ram 1500. everything since has been cash, or a cash/trade combo.(including the 2013 challenger, which was ~$40k cash)

last fall, they gave him $23k in trade for the 2013 challenger, and he wrote a check for 9 grand.
this time, this dealer gave him $20k in trade(initially offered him just $16k)and he wrote a check for $14K.

He is not alone. After getting his divorce settlement of 60k, one of my brothers blew it on 5 of his various "dream cars". The money is gone, he owns none of the cars and is living in someone's basement.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

in this case, there are no payments. the last vehicle he financed was his 2001 Ram 1500. everything since has been cash, or a cash/trade combo.(including the 2013 challenger, which was ~$40k cash)

last fall, they gave him $23k in trade for the 2013 challenger, and he wrote a check for 9 grand.
this time, this dealer gave him $20k in trade(initially offered him just $16k)and he wrote a check for $14K.

So by my figuring he's spent $63k since 2013 to end up with a $34k car today. $29k in depreciation in 3 years not counting what the new one lost off the lot.
I guess that's what keeps the lights on at the dealerships.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

So by my figuring he's spent $63k since 2013 to end up with a $34k car today. $29k in depreciation in 3 years not counting what the new one lost off the lot.
I guess that's what keeps the lights on at the dealerships.
Yeah I just can't even fathom that idea.

So basically, since September he has spent $23,000 to get back into a Challenger. $23,000 in 6 months.. $3,833 per month
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
What ever floats your boat. There are worse things to spend (waste) your money on.

I knew a guy who bragged he never had bought tires or a battery for a car. Traded or sold them first.

My memory is that, up until the '80s, anybody who was anybody got a new car every couple of years. Of course, we were nobodies, so we got [censored] cars when we needed them and could actually afford them. Mom walked to work for a year in Chicago when dad finally found a job after a long layoff and we were down to one car, they worked different shifts so they couldn't carpool (good because they just would have fought). She finally got a new car that had been sitting on the lot for a year because it had no power steering and was front drive, she could barely park that thing.
A good friend of mine had wealthier parents and they cycled through a Vette, a Caddy, and a Rolls (used but still nice) in our grade school years. Wealthier neighbors seemed to do the same. My dad got to drive nice cars when he was young because he would buy his boss' castoffs after he had them for a couple of years.
I don't know if folks with money started driving their cars longer when they became more reliable?

Buying a new car every two years prevents you from fully releasing your motor oil inhibitions.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

True, Fords give you a pain in a different (but nearby) part of the anatomy. :)

(that's a JOKE people...)

I'm a ford guy. And I agree with your statement.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Some folks are affluent and can change cars every 2 years.

There was a young guy on BITOG that changed cars every 2 years.

Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back