My BITOG Card Should Be Revoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally use the oil level sensor to tell me when to add oil. My car E46 BMW has both dipstick and sensor.

I haven't check the oil for a while, and a month ago I decided to check. Long and behond the dipstick was dry! I added about 2.5 litres to bring it up to full. Oil capacity is 6.5 litres.

This explains why my car was making a lot of noise on cold starts.

Oops!

But why was the sensor not working? I know nothing about this model, but I'm wondering if the sensor was faulty, or if the dipstick was faulty.

Does it make noise now on startup, or has that gone away? I'm not sure why it would make noise on startup--the pickup should be at the bottom of the pan, sucking in oil from right above the pan bottom. For it to be dry you'd have to be out of oil--and it'd be making noise all the time.

The temperature has increased since November. I will have to see on cold starts. However, I have not heard the noise after topping it off.

Looks like the sensor failed somehow. It's supposed to give a warning light if it failed, but it didn't give one

Because everyone here remains in cheerful and forgiving Holiday Spirit, revocation of your BITOG Card will be denied. But members here are requesting a new membership picture of you, one without your tongue sticking out......lol

Happy New Year Camry. Glad you caught the low-low-low dipstick reading, prior to a major repair..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Oops!

But why was the sensor not working? I know nothing about this model, but I'm wondering if the sensor was faulty, or if the dipstick was faulty.

Does it make noise now on startup, or has that gone away? I'm not sure why it would make noise on startup--the pickup should be at the bottom of the pan, sucking in oil from right above the pan bottom. For it to be dry you'd have to be out of oil--and it'd be making noise all the time.

Usually on most dipsticks the high/low marks are 1L apart. The extra length on the stick is usually good for .5L

2.5L low on a 6.5L sump

He still had 4L in the sump, at higher engine speeds the risk of sucking air into the pump is high.

Not your fault. Another oil burning Beemer. (OBB)
laugh.gif

Did the sensor not indicate anything because it wasn't "too low" per the engine's specs ?

Originally Posted by camrydriver111
I added about 2.5 litres to bring it up to full.
Excuse me for asking the obvious question, but how long did it take to use all of that oil?

Originally Posted by walterjay
Because you confessed it on BITOG...your sin is forgiven.

Hahahahahaha, love it! And you have been spared (absolved of) any internal damage.
smile.gif

Ummm........Why would it make noise with 4L still in the oil pan? The oil pump pick-up screen should still have plenty of oil covering it. How many miles has it gone on this oil change?

Last edited:
Don't these kind of sensors or lights typically alert if for example the oil level is dangerously low? I wouldn't expect a warning if the oil level is a quart or so low. Maybe BMW's are different.

sometimes adding fresh oil gets rid of a little noise (during startup & warm up ) even if the oil level was still ok and not a factor. Depending on the car and the age ...

BITOG's equivalent to 5 hail marys is 1 oil change, 1 new air filter, 1 new cabin filter, check tire pressure and all fluid levels and 1 car wash.

I'm not ready for dissent … however, the Tribol Leaders must assemble in the new year to evaluate this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back