My best friends, past and present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there is a world outside of NY.

Not that I'll ever see it.
mad.gif

Yes, GM, there is...and all you have to do is repeat to yourself...I WILL get out of NY...I WILL get out of NY...although the Jägerschnitzel and Rahmschnitzel in NYC has to be up there with the best of them.

quote:

I was going to ask you if Neuschwanstein would do, but you said a small castle. We hiked up to it during our World Cup trip...now THAT is a castle!!

Neu Schwanstein is a chateau. I'm talking about a real castle, sort of like this one, very near to where I grew up.
smile.gif

PS: Don't be fooled by the image URL, that town, Burghausen, is in Bavaria and not in Austria.

Burghausen

PPS: This no attempt to hijack Mark's thread. Carry on!
tongue.gif

mori,

Thanks for enlightening me...I have always considered it a castle, but I am aligned with der Schwarzwald so what do I know?
dunno.gif
Nonetheless, WHAT A CHATEAU it is!

Thanks for sharing the link to Burghausen. We had such a great time at die Weltmeisterschaft that I am trying to talk my wife into going to Euro Cup 2008 in Austria and Switzerland. Now if we spent some time in Munich...would Burghausen be so far away?

Mark, please don't consider it a hijacking...consider it an blossoming of the Bayerische blumen you planted
rolleyes.gif
...whoa!
wink.gif

MarkC,

Don't know if you will find this humorous or not but when I first came across this thread and saw what you all were talking about, I thought, "Wow, that guy from West Virginia sure did venture along way from home to take a vacation in Washington State...it was QUITE A FEW passes through the thread before I realized you hail from Western Washington...."thick?" Why, no not me.
grin.gif

quote:

mori,

Thanks for enlightening me...I have always considered it a castle, but I am aligned with der Schwarzwald so what do I know? Nonetheless, WHAT A CHATEAU it is!

A chateau is of course a fancy residence like a palace, while a castle is a fortress or citadel. Sometimes the lines are blurry. Any chateau or castle built after the arrival of gunpowder is of course more or less a tactical miscreation. King Ludwig, who had Neuschwanstein built as permanent vacation retreat, was the Michael Jackson of his day (in terms of freaky fancy).
tongue.gif

quote:

Thanks for sharing the link to Burghausen. We had such a great time at die Weltmeisterschaft that I am trying to talk my wife into going to Euro Cup 2008 in Austria and Switzerland. Now if we spent some time in Munich...would Burghausen be so far away?

Burghausen is accessible from Munich via the E552, which is made up of A94 (Autobahn) and B12 (Bundesstrasse 12 -- federal highway). You can find Burghausen on a Southern Bavaria Map, West of Munich, along the B20 near the Austrian border. A drive from Munich to Burghausen shouldn't take more than 1 hour, depending on the route you choose.

map of Bavaria

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
MarkC,

Don't know if you will find this humorous or not but when I first came across this thread and saw what you all were talking about, I thought, "Wow, that guy from West Virginia sure did venture along way from home to take a vacation in Washington State...it was QUITE A FEW passes through the thread before I realized you hail from Western Washington...."thick?" Why, no not me.
grin.gif

I really should correct that, you're not the first to make that mistake.
Actually, I came from the SE coast of North Carolina, about 6 years ago, so I did travel quite a distance to get here.
grin.gif

That would be what we call water. In this instance, I believe it's the Wenatchee River. Nice and cool and fast-moving. Contains nice fish, too. Salmon!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
That would be what we call water.

Awesome, always wondered what that stuff we see in the documentaries was.

Our version of water is slow moving, brown, and contains various introduced species that nearly have lungs and legs.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I think the thing about your water that I would find distasteful would be the crocodilians.

I think we should leave someone's personal beliefs out of this...um-m-m-m, you know, "crocodilians,"..........................um-m-m-m, never mind

They are the other branch of the croco family that also includes the dalians...no...really...in Oz they live in artificial water

I once knew a man from Australia,
He painted his arse like a dahlia.
The colors were bright, it was quite nice,
but the smell was an utter failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back