"My" Amsoil Soup for my Suzuki DL650 VStrom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the decision to dive in to Amsoil and I will be striving to get a 7,500 mile OCI....or 8 months, which ever comes first.

I am going to mix 3 quarts of 10w40 and 1 quart of 20w40. That will make an oil that is.....

12.5 w 42.50

I want a slightly heavier oil than 10w40, as it will be shearing (shared sump with tranny) and I want it to last the full expectation.

Probably out in August, September or October, I will drain and do an OCI for your viewing pleasure. Either the Amsoil sticker will earn its place on my tank, or it will be removed!!!

Any comments are welcome. For instance.....

* What do you thing about mixing a soup?
* For a bike that calls for a 3,500 mile OCI, do you think Amsoil can go 7,500 miles or so?
* Can Amsoil pay for itself in motorcycles or will the lower OCI's simply cause it to be cost ineffective?

Last edited:
Hi BigJohn,
nice bike, I have a V-2 to. (Is it certain that the equation that provides the resulting viscosity is linear?)
1) do not mix unless you have to.
2)overextending the OCIs is not wise. Bikes are not automobiles and their engines are very powerful for their mass and weight, which means a bigger stress of the materials and the parts in general, and the oil.. Not to mention the common sump your bike uses which contaminates the oil with metal particles. Frequent changes are key.
3)Amsoil IMHO is one of the best oils out there and will protect your Vstrom, no doubt about it, but even the best oil contaminated is worse than a lower quality oil with zero miles..
7500 miles is simply marketing.

Last edited:
Others on this site have mixed oils. In particular, I've seen the Amsoil 10W-40 / 20W-50 mix a few times. Usually it's a half-and-half mix.

I would think mixing Amsoil and Amsoil is pretty safe ... the additive packages are likely the same between 10W-40 and 20W-50, so there shouldn't be much conflict at that level.

I'll agree with berlyn on the extended OCI, though. It can be done -- lots of people do it -- but a modest extension with UOAs might be a more careful approach. But that's just me.

I'd never go 7500 with any oil in my bike- a 2004 VStrom DL1000.
It doesn't hold that much oil and its my baby so it gets changed around every 1-2k miles...
I'll find other ways to save money if that is the goal, maybe forgo the fries?

Why not just use the recommended MCF 10W-40 ?

AMSOIL does not recommend mixing their oils. In the case with the M/C oils, if you decide to, you can not go to an extended drain interval and you have no warranty.

Originally Posted By: SkyPup
I'll find other ways to save money if that is the goal, maybe forgo the fries?

WHAT?
shocked2.gif
Not the fries...a Man's fries are sacred..
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: OilDoc
Why not just use the recommended MCF 10W-40 ?

AMSOIL does not recommend mixing their oils. In the case with the M/C oils, if you decide to, you can not go to an extended drain interval and you have no warranty.

Both Pablo and the local Amsoil dealer that I purchased from said mixing was a common practice and it is totally fine.

I mix because the DL650 has the tendancy to shear oil pretty darn quickly and by throwing in a quart of 20w50 I lift the oil a bit. Matter of fact M1 15w50 has been one of my favorite oils in the Strom so far. Going above a 40wt is a good thing.

By the way, I am going to run the oil to 5k miles and take a sample for Blackstone to analyze. Then I will decide whether or not to push it any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back