My 2.0T fsi loves PP Euro 5w40

Hello everyone! This is my first post. I’ve read this forum and website for years and finally created a profile. My main daily is a slightly modded 2007 Mk5 GTI, 2.0T fsi, manual, that I bought new in Nov, 2006. I also drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L, 4x4.
These VW cars burn oil, some more than others and I use around 6-6.5 total quarts per oil change and top-offs between OCIs (4.75 qt capacity). Just did my 80K service with Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. This will be the 3rd oil change with it. Before that, I ran Redline 0W-40, mostly because that’s what the local RL shop carries, however RL recommends 5w30 on their site instead of 5w40. I did 3 OCIs with the RL, then did my complete 60K service with Motul VW specific. There was a night and day difference. The car seemed to absolutely shred that oil similar to the dealer’s Castrol. I went back to the RL and the car absolutely loved that oil and I got a good deal when I bought it by the case. However. I just couldn’t justify the price with the car’s consumption and thought maybe I’d try the PP after reading up on it and seeing the good reviews. Plus, it’s much easier to get. The car really likes the PP. I guess my thoughts would be that maybe these VAG engines like the slightly thinner Euro oils. Additionally, I use the Hengst cartridge filters. I like the more rigid end cap design and the media isn’t as misshapen when changed. What’s your thoughts on the GTL or Euro oils?

Just by mileage and consumption but additionally by the condition of the HPFP cam follower when changed. The consumption was much higher with the Castrol and Motul. The only uoa I did was with the RL.

Yes because measuring actual mechanical shea in an oil isn’t as easy as people think it is to do.

Good thing you found an oil that your car “likes“.

I have another Blackstone oil sample kit but decided to not collect a PP sample this OCI because I did a little intake valve “soak” followed by an Italian tuneup. Thought it may impact the results.

Just by mileage and consumption but additionally by the condition of the HPFP cam follower when changed. The consumption was much higher with the Castrol and Motul. The only uoa I did was with the RL.
There could be numerous reasons why your HPFP follower had higher wear.
Unless you took sample, got numbers back, in reality you do not know which oil performed better.

I was getting cases of 12 x RL 0w40 for somewhere around $120 a few years ago. The shop (mostly muscle cars) didn’t really sell much of that grade so they would give me a case deal. The PP Euro 5w40 would average around $92 for a case of 12. (2 x case of 6) Sometimes cheaper on sale. The butt dyno, minimal oil consumption, fuel economy and condition of the cam follower (15K miles over 3 concecutive RL OCIs) plus the condition (uoa) of the oil when changed and cleanliness of the valve train when I changed the valve cover gasket. There is variance in some aspects here but i felt way more confident with the practice and not overpaying the $60-70 for a VW dealer Castrol 5w40 change. They were sometimes overfilled or underfilled and the oil was always already black when I would check it after I left the dealership. I know these techs don’t make much money on the oil changes but felt I could do better myself for that price. That’s where my brief journey with oil selection for the EA113 started.

Last edited:
I would like to to know the differenence in specs for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (non-euro version) and the PP Euro 5w40. Aside from the approvals. Pennzoil just can’t seem to settle on their oil names. The Euro 5w40 was also Ultra Platinum up until last year or so.

Last edited:
I would like to to know the differenence in specs for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (non-euro version) and the PP Euro 5w40. Aside from the approvals. Pennzoil just can’t seem to settle on their oil names. The Euro 5w40 was also Ultra Platinum up until last year or so.
I think Ultra Platinum has fairly high Noack. It is not as stringent as Euro line.
Do not forget PP Euro 0W40.

I think Ultra Platinum has fairly high Noack. It is not as stringent as Euro line.
Do not forget PP Euro 0W40.

If we are talking about the SRT 0w-40, yes, it's like 13%, versus say 8.8% for M1 0w-40 or 8.5% for Ravenol SSL.

Just curious to learn the different packages and specs across the Brand lineups. I also noticed the new bottle of PP doesn’t have the Ferrari logo. Not a big deal but when I see multiple packaging changes, you have to wonder if the formulation changed or the sponsorship/contract ended or a combination of things. I also saw earlier this week that Pennzoil has it’s own Ferrari specific oil selection now. I just couldn’t find the link to share. Will keep looking.

There really is no such thing as a Ferrari specification, or at least not one that is ever published. It is a marketing agreement.

Back