My 06 Acura TL is pretty much brand new now

I had the last oil leak fixed yesterday, the rear main seal was replaced. I bought this car in September 2021 from a friend for $4K. I spent over double that in fixing the oil leaks and replacing worn out parts. The more I drive it, the more I love it. The J32 V6 is so smooth and this is the pinnacle of Acura cars for being driver centric and fun to drive. I bought the car with 159,000 miles and it has 166,000 now. I ride my motorcycle most days and the TL is my back up car. This is what I replaced on it. I had two different shops perform this work and both said the J32 will easily last 300K.

tires
wheels
front rotors and pads
rear pads
4 struts
upper and lower front control arms
front ball joints
front end links
front sway bar bushings
front outer tie rods
3 transmission mounts
2 engine mounts
valve cover gaskets
valve adjustment
spark plugs
oil pump reseal
spool valve seals
cam seals
front crank seal
rear crank seal
cam plate seals
vvt solenoid seal
water pump
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
windshield

Sounds like you spent about 8k on all the repairs. Good for you, and now you have a nice higher end car to drive that suits you. You also saved money on sales tax, vs a newer ride. Your insurance should also be less expensive. Take that extra money and go buy your favorite dividend stock that pays you monthly and smile every time a deposit is made into your brokerage account. :D

$12k for a 17 year old 166k mile car feels like a lot. But it's your money and if you're happy with it then it is what it is.

I had to come back and add that I have made plenty of decisions in my life that a financial advisor would shake their head at. But I don't regret them (well not all of them).

Last edited:
I've been eyeballing a few myself, with the same plan. Mild restoration, or roadstoration. Happy for you @Finklejag. With today's prices on cars a project like this makes sense, and provides tons of enjoyment from using it. With less of them on the road I think soon the prices will only start rising.
I always considered that Acura TL a "gentleman's" Civic Si or Integra GSR. Last two are great for boys, while TL is a more mature toy, yet still tons of fun.

P.S. The following generation of TL ruined it sooo bad... But I'd still take one with a J-series, 6-speed manual, and SH-AWD.

Yes, $12K or so into this car. I sold my 2019 VW Alltrak to Carmax for a profit back in 2021 and bought this. I got my motorcycle endorsement 3 years ago and enjoy riding everyday, even when it’s 30 degrees out. I been looking to buy a new car but nothing jumps out at me. I have ordered a Outback, Bronco Sport, Kona N, Maverick, and turned them all down after finally test driving them. I would be paying monthly payments on a new car that would be sitting in my garage while I use my motorcycle.

Sounds like the '07 Corolla in my sig, bought for ~$2K, I've put around $1500 in new summer & winter tires, hoses, belt, various sensors, transaxle fluid & oil changes. Will need a clutch someday, but don't see any reason it can't make 300K on the solid 1.8 1ZZFE it has (now at 166K, no oil consumption, at all). I looked at new cars, but basically ZERO manuals available, unless you get into a "sport" model north of $30K!

Sounds like the '07 Corolla in my sig, bought for ~$2K, I've put around $1500 in new summer & winter tires, hoses, belt, various sensors, transaxle fluid & oil changes. Will need a clutch someday, but don't see any reason it can't make 300K on the solid 1.8 1ZZFE it has (now at 166K, no oil consumption, at all). I looked at new cars, but basically ZERO manuals available, unless you get into a "sport" model north of $30K!
It will NEVER EVER EVER make it to 300K!!!!
...because Toyota was nice enough to limit the odometer to 299,999 miles.
But, what many do after that point is just keep track of the miles through the trip meters and a notebook.
I miss my 280k mile Pontiac Vibe... Aka Toyota Matrix, or Corolla Hatchback.
WP_20140823_002.JPG

Last edited:
Love that gen TL. I almost bought a 2008 back before I purchased my 2009 BMW. They drive really nice for being front wheel drive, and the reliability is great.

The J32 sounds like wet farts blown through a trumpet. :) Could've bought a very decent RSX Type S for $12,000.
Nissan VQ is the same way, just more pronounced. And I absolutely love the sound of both. Don't get why people hate that glorious sound so much. To me both J and VQ sound better than most of the 4 bangers, that scream like raped chimpanzees.

Nissan VQ is the same way, just more pronounced. And I absolutely love the sound of both. Don't get why people hate that glorious sound so much.
Admittedly it's not the worst sound. It's better than non-VTEC Hondas with no resonator and way better than the Nissan Cube that occasionally drives past my house with what sounds like open headers :ROFLMAO:

Just added my receipts up and it’s $10K in parts and labor. I knew I was going to put some money into it when I bought it for $4K. I didn’t know I was going that far down the rabbit hole.

Is it automatic? If so, budget for a transmission in the near future. These things are fragile.

I would love to find a 6spd manual and unmoletsed one. But it still eludes me.
I know these Honda auto transmissions are made out of glass. I have done 3 drain and fills and this shop just did the torque converter drain and fill when they unbolted the transmission from the engine.

Is it automatic? If so, budget for a transmission in the near future. These things are fragile.

I would love to find a 6spd manual and unmoletsed one. But it still eludes me.
I think the 06 is still a 3 shaft, and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure a 4 shaft conversion can be done. I can't remember since I ended up with an 08 and haven't put a lot of research into it, but yes, 3 shafts are pretty fragile units and you can only expect about 100k out of them even with religious service and care. The 4 shaft units are an entirely different beast and usually go well past 200k with decent care and feeding.

I do think it is one of the prettier designs Acura has ever used.

IMG_20220522_140503194_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220522_140552859_HDR.jpg

I think the 06 is still a 3 shaft, and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure a 4 shaft conversion can be done. I can't remember since I ended up with an 08 and haven't put a lot of research into it, but yes, 3 shafts are pretty fragile units and you can only expect about 100k out of them even with religious service and care. The 4 shaft units are an entirely different beast and usually go well past 200k with decent care and feeding.

I do think it is one of the prettier designs Acura has ever used.

View attachment 140893View attachment 140894
While I'm not saying you have bad information the OP has 166k on assumed original transmission so surely one can expect more.
But you're probably right in the sense that this is somewhat a (sportier) Honda and people end up beating on the car harder consequently getting only 100 k? 🤷‍♂️

$12k for a 17 year old 166k mile car feels like a lot. But it's your money and if you're happy with it then it is what it is.

I had to come back and add that I have made plenty of decisions in my life that a financial advisor would shake their head at. But I don't regret them (well not all of them).
Maybe, but I can see doing this to a premium Japanese brand and for some it's taking care of what we got instead of just joining the inflated market and paying stupid over MSRP for a car. Glad to see someone investing in a car and hopefully they enjoy it. Would like to see a few pictures of the car.....

I had the last oil leak fixed yesterday, the rear main seal was replaced. I bought this car in September 2021 from a friend for $4K. I spent over double that in fixing the oil leaks and replacing worn out parts. The more I drive it, the more I love it. The J32 V6 is so smooth and this is the pinnacle of Acura cars for being driver centric and fun to drive. I bought the car with 159,000 miles and it has 166,000 now. I ride my motorcycle most days and the TL is my back up car. This is what I replaced on it. I had two different shops perform this work and both said the J32 will easily last 300K.

tires
wheels
front rotors and pads
rear pads
4 struts
upper and lower front control arms
front ball joints
front end links
front sway bar bushings
front outer tie rods
3 transmission mounts
2 engine mounts
valve cover gaskets
valve adjustment
spark plugs
oil pump reseal
spool valve seals
cam seals
front crank seal
rear crank seal
cam plate seals
vvt solenoid seal
water pump
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
windshield
Throw some lubegard red into your transmission.
It's a must do for Honda 5 and 6 speeds.

There is an internet (one that will deliver to you) offer of a 2013 TL with fewer miles for $12,000. 7 years newer and fewer miles for the price of what you have put in the 2006.

Back