MWB stuck at one file for 20 hrs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I ran CCleaner the other day and also ran the registry cleanup tool, and as always backed up the registry to a folder when CC prompted to do so.

After that I ran MWB and it seems to get stuck on the ccleaner reg backup files when scanning and it never goes beyond those files.

I deleted all the reg backup entries but could not delete ONE of those file (file size 4 KB).
And MWB STILL GETS STUCK on that file (see screen shot at end), and keeps scanning.

What can I do to delete that one reg backup file? when I try to delete it, a widows comes up showing "recycling" with a progress bar but nothing ever happens...
When I tried to delete the whole FOLDER with CC reg backups: same result: window with "recycling" and nothing happens

Win 7, Avast Free, CCleaner (active monitoring on) and MWB

EDIT:
Now I can't even right click on that file - as soon as I right click the "progress wheel" appears and does nothing, and I get the message "Windows Explore is not responding"

I have to close window manually.

This is the file in that folder (note that it's the same file that MWB cannot scan - other screen shot above in opening post)

Last edited:
UPDATE : Started in safe mode and was able to delete file.
Ran MWB in safe mode. Scan finished in normal time- nothing found.

I was going to suggest booting to safe mode, and running mwb chameleon. It is designed to get around malware that stops the normal version from running.

I'm not recommending it but I finally got to where I no longer back up the items removed in the registry cleaner. Three years and running with no problems due to that. Knock on wood. I also run MWB and installed their anti-exploit program recently after my wife went down too many roads "agreeing" to too many things.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
...I no longer back up the items removed in the registry cleaner. Three years and running with no problems due to that.

same here

i would check for disk issues.
i have a laptop in for repair that will bsod if a certain video is played.tried to copy it to a flash drive for further testing and machine stalled.try to close dialog and it whites out.
clicking gave it away.S.M.A.R.T shows drive has a ton of reallocation's and current pendings.its toast!

Originally Posted By: earlyre
I was going to suggest booting to safe mode, and running mwb chameleon. It is designed to get around malware that stops the normal version from running.
Another way around it is just to change the name of MWB to something else. I actually had to do this once to rid my Wife's computer of a virus.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
i have a laptop in for repair that will bsod if a certain video is played.tried to copy it to a flash drive for further testing and machine stalled.try to close dialog and it whites out.
clicking gave it away.S.M.A.R.T shows drive has a ton of reallocation's and current pendings.its toast!

I have a laptop down with a S.M.A.R.T problem as well. In my case the prob lem showed up after I dropped the thing. I took it in yesterday and asked the guy to partition a new hard drive and mirror/copy the old drive into the partition so I could go in and save important files. He told me they won't do it because it might wreck the new drive. Does that make sense? What should I do?

I had nothing but issues running CC Cleaner. Consequently, I no longer use it.

Last edited:
MWB runs like normal now.

How do I check for disk errors exactly? click on the SMART icon on the main Samsung SSD window?

According to this, SMART values are often misunderstood:

I don't run CC very often, perhaps once every 5-6 months...
I am just not gonna back up reg. files anymore if I run registry tool.

Last edited:
There are tools to estimate SSD life remaining, and to monitor their health.

I just clicked on SMART Icon on Samsung Magician and although it shows 100 reallocated, there's no section called "Current pending sector" or "UDMA error count" as shown in above screenshot...

Here's mine:

As per above screen shot, one should look at the RAW data in the reallocation info: Mine shows 0 for Raw data.

http://mashtips.com/ssd-health-test-and-performance-monitor-tools/

The one called SSDReady on the list (above link) can estimate the remaining life of your SSD, supposedly..

Last edited:
no it wont damage the new drive.however if you dropped it and smart tripped it will be sheer luck to get a good image.i would start with important files that are not backed up.
and expect total failure in short time.
Originally Posted By: kc8adu

I have a laptop down with a S.M.A.R.T problem as well. In my case the prob lem showed up after I dropped the thing. I took it in yesterday and asked the guy to partition a new hard drive and mirror/copy the old drive into the partition so I could go in and save important files. He told me they won't do it because it might wreck the new drive. Does that make sense? What should I do?

I'm not recommending it but I finally got to where I no longer back up the items removed in the registry cleaner.

I never opt to backup the registry in CCleaner. No problems so far, knock on wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back